Oriental Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDAVE

Reaction score
I been smoking a pipe for about two months now, and what a journey it has been. Best of all it has just begun. I've found that for a VA. I like MC 5100 Red Cake, for VaPers PS LBF, and for an Aro 4 Noggins Three Blind Moose. What would be a good Oriental blend to start with (something light in Latakia and no Perique)?

Maybe Robert McConnell's Oriental, as there is no latakia or perique. Otherwise, if a little bit of latakia is okay... maybe McClelland's Oriental Mixture No. 6 or No. 8?

I recommend McClellands Yenidje Highlander. It'll let you know if you like Orientals or not. To me, it's brilliant.

joshoowah":qp9fe46d said:
I recommend McClellands Yenidje Highlander. It'll let you know if you like Orientals or not. To me, it's brilliant.
I'm new, what do you mean that it'll let me know? Is McClellands Yenidje Highlander a standard to judge by?

WVDAVE":d3c1cdfq said:
joshoowah":d3c1cdfq said:
I'm new, what do you mean that it'll let me know? Is McClellands Yenidje Highlander a standard to judge by?
Perhaps it was a bit much of me to say so because I'm biased. From my experience, however, most Orientals tend to have some form of Latakia in it, and Yenidje is no different. Thus, I made that remark because it is pretty standard from what I have seen among other Orientals. It is also one of the better choices from McClelland's Grand Orientals series. I'm sure there are wiser veteran smokers than I though.

I'd recommend McClelland Grand Orientals Katerini Classic. When the McC Grand Orientals first came out I tried all of them & thought that, while all of them were really good, the Katerini was the best.
While I haven't personally tried it, I've had James Fox Campanile recommended as a definitive pipe tobacco with Oriental leaf.
Glen

So, start with something generic...to give yourself a start...

(and whomever said PresbyMix ought to be drawn and quartered! The stuff REEKS of latakia which overpowers the other O's...if indeed there are any) - IMNSHO :p

Anyway...the McClelland Oriental #6 & #8 are GOOD suggestions...as they are soft and round in flavor and thus represent what O's are more about.

Remember...Orientals (of which Latakia is one that's fire smoked) are spice tobaccos and are used as flavorings. When you buy those tins of Grand Oriental Smyrna or Yindgje or Katarini or whatever you're getting just a little, mixed with other stuff. It's someone's idea of what a blend that showcases that variety should be.

I have a good idea...go over to the tobacco review site...in the upper right corner click on 'advanced search'. Then skip down to the tobacco component things and click on Oriental as one you want and then maybe for the ones you DON'T want pick stuff like cavendish, whatever...hone it down by adding the number of stars (I'd say at least 3). See what it comes up with. Play around with it - it's really kinda fun.

Anyway, just an idea.

I ended up ordering some Wilkes #10. Thanks for all the ideas and help.

If you like an Oriental full of Syrian Latakia, try Syrian Star. It is a true delight.

Milan":c8zy3qlr said:
Maybe Robert McConnell's Oriental, as there is no latakia or perique.
I don't know about Perique, but it sure does have Latakia in it. Actually, this is more of an English type blend than an Oriental. It's delicious and in my top 5 favorites' list. Highly recommended for those with a sweet tooth.

If possible, try Skiff and Squadron Leader from Sam Gawith... Skiff being lighter and my favorite of the two.

I've been working my way through the McClelland Grand Orientals, and they are all quite good. My Morley's Pipe Club thinks Smyrna #1 is the best of the series. Curiously, though I am normally a Latakia fancier, Yenidje Highlander, the only one with Latakia, is my least favorite of the bunch.

Some of my friends who like Orientals go to Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. I prefer Presbyterian and Campanile in that genre. I just got a tin of Orcilla, which I gather is much like Campanile.

Skiff is one of my favorites and is less picky to the specific pipe than Squadron Leader, which used to be a big favorite with me, but fell out of favor since it varies so much from pipe to pipe.

Several years ago I was into McClelland 2045 and 2050, but somehow I don't reach for them these days.

hp
les

Feeling like a broken record but Frog Morton On The Town has some interesting orientals/flavors....pretty mild too so it doesn't hammer newb's like me!