Oriental Tobacco Lovers - Which

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyFlake

Reaction score
I have, for whatever reason, stayed away from Oriental Blends for a long, long time. I will appreciate some recommendations for getting back to them with some richly flavored, but medium strength blends and with not too much Latakia in the mix. I have been trying to recall which ones I smoked, as I was never too far into them. I can only recall Butera Pelican and Dunhill Aperitif and that's it.

I would appreciate recommendations, a maximum of three or four, based on your favorites at this time in your life.

Hey Johnnyflake! :)

Right now, there is a ton of oriental blends out there. Some with latakia, some without. So many to choose from. But knowing you have smoked latakia blends in the past. That you also appreciate good cigars. I would recommend trying GL Pease Chelsea Morning, Key Largo, or Embarcadero.

Embarcadero is a Virginia Oriental (Izmir) blend, done just right. Key Largo adds cigar leaf into it's red Virginia blend, and with various orientals, is superb. Chelsea Morning goes easy on the latakia. But has oriental and perique mixed with the various Virginia's. It's deceptive because it's so creamy and has a nice room aroma of cigar leaf. But has no cigar leaf in it. Very good stuff.

McClelland Oriental (green label) #8 :D

GL Pease Embarcadero :cheers:

PCCA (now under the McClelland label) Orient 996 8)

Presbyterian Mixture :afro:

My recommendation of course is subjective. Robert McConnell's Original Oriental does have some latakia, but I taste it as strictly a deep background condiment in this blend, as it should be in an Oriental. I don't know why this blend is as little known as it appears to be. Maybe this is just a minority opinion, but the price is right and you should try it after giving it some air time out of the tin. Good luck in your search.

I can only second (or third?) the recommendation for GLP's Embarcadero. This tobacco has become a significant obsession for me recently, so much so that I wish to sing it's praises throughout this great land.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I need to do some reading at TobaccoReview.com.

Hey Carlos, it been awhile my friend!

I like Waccamaw by Low Country which is made for smokingpipes. It has a base of bright leaf red virginias a little perique and izmir for the oriental leaf. I like this alot not overpowering a nice smoke. My wife likes embarcadero the room note not to smoke. Give it a try plus the price is right.

I'll toss in another vote for Presbyterian. When that stuff is on, it's really on. And when it's off, it's still pretty on. Very friendly.

McClelland's Grand Oriental Series are/is a great way to explore the differences between the orientals. If i had to pick a favorite it'd be Katerini Classic.

You might want to try C&D Plantation Evening, described by them as "An outstanding middle of the road English blend." It's not too heavy on the Latakia and has Orientals, aged VAs, Perique, and a little Turkish. It's one of my top three smokes.

Smokey

I enjoy the MC Arcadia quite a bit. I've also been smoking a lot of C&D Guilford Courthouse recently. In description, it's a lot like GLP Embarcadero, but a barely taste the izmir leaf.

Natch

Hey JF!!!!! I heartily concur on all the above choices. Check out Peretti's and PipeWorks&Wilke. Both have several selections of good Oriental blends!! FTRPLT

For a real oriental fest, I'd recommend Rattrays Red Rapparee.

Frost":8evaossf said:
I can only second (or third?) the recommendation for GLP's Embarcadero. This tobacco has become a significant obsession for me recently, so much so that I wish to sing it's praises throughout this great land.
My recommendation as well! :cheers: