Orlik Golden Sliced....50g and 100g tins same tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I've smoked OGS from both 50g and 100g tins and love both of them.

My current 50g tin contains tobacco which is softer, smoother and a tad richer than what I got out of the 100g tins.

Imagination ????

As far as taste goes I can't say I've ever noticed any difference. However my palate isn't very sophisticated and you may have discovered a difference that maybe others have noticed. It will be interesting to read their responses. :)

AJ

Are both tins the same age? You may have found the magic age!

Otherwise, have all the variables been accounted for? Same pipes? Same food and drink before? Other things?

They are the same tobacco in both sizes. Fazby raises several good points, and it could be any one of them, or a combination.

I've wondered about this same thing myself and posted something about it a while back.

Maybe it was just my imagination, but the 50 gm tins seemed to be somehow "brighter" in flavor. At least initially.

The age of the tins also plays into this of course. And it makes it difficult to come to any conclusion since I didn't have opportunity to do a side by side comparison with the same age dates, 50 gm vs 100 gm.

Now smoking from a 100 gm tin, which had been opened and transferred to a Mason Jar. So it's been exposed to air for some time, and I typically reach for this once/wk, usually on weekend mornings as the first pipe of the day.

Got to admit that I don't really see any difference from the 50 gm tin. Perhaps the amount of 'baccy plays a role in this.

All to say that I don't now really feel there's any difference. At least as far as I can ascertain. It's the same 'baccy. Just a larger amount, which must affect the ageing and development potential. And therefore must play a part in the initial perception.

That's how I look at it, FWIW!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":bepwynhu said:
I've wondered about this same thing myself and posted something about it a while back.

Maybe it was just my imagination, but the 50 gm tins seemed to be somehow "brighter" in flavor. At least initially.

The age of the tins also plays into this of course. And it makes it difficult to come to any conclusion since I didn't have opportunity to do a side by side comparison with the same age dates, 50 gm vs 100 gm.

Now smoking from a 100 gm tin, which had been opened and transferred to a Mason Jar. So it's been exposed to air for some time, and I typically reach for this once/wk, usually on weekend mornings as the first pipe of the day.

Got to admit that I don't really see any difference from the 50 gm tin. Perhaps the amount of 'baccy plays a role in this.

All to say that I don't now really feel there's any difference. At least as far as I can ascertain. It's the same 'baccy. Just a larger amount, which must affect the ageing and development potential. And therefore must play a part in the initial perception.

That's how I look at it, FWIW!

Cheers,

RR
That a worthwhile theory regarding the the amount of tobacco and aging. I think it's worth talking about.