Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I ordered 10 tins last week. Has anybody tried it yet? And, for those whom had smoked it before it was discontinued in 2005 (?) or 06, is it the same tobacco?

I did not have the chance to try it. I have tried Heinrich's version and have like it. I heard there are some minor differences between the two.

Supposedly the Heinrich's is what became of the blend when it was discontinued by Orlik. That's just hearsay, though. I have no proof. I still have a tin of the original Orlik I got a few years back from Peeb. Might be interesting to give them all a try back-to-back. :?:

I thought P&C had a 5 tin limit? :suspect:

I also enjoyed the older version but have not had a chance to try the new.

I have smoked my share of Heinrich Dark Strong. I still smoke it from time to time. I like it quite a bit. My main concern with buying the Orlik DSK is with overlap. From what I have read they are not all that different and I have plenty of the Heinrich on hand. Still, I may pick up one tin just to compare the two.

JimInks has smoked them both, perhaps check his reviews out on TR.com..

MisterE":78bggokp said:
Supposedly the Heinrich's is what became of the blend when it was discontinued by Orlik. That's just hearsay, though. I have no proof. I still have a tin of the original Orlik I got a few years back from Peeb. Might be interesting to give them all a try back-to-back. :?:
There was an over lap. I know this because I remember buying both at the same time as late as 2003, which I recall is the year Orlik stopped selling Dark Strong to the US, though it was still made and sold in Europe. I bought my first tin of PH Dark Strong in 2002. Still have an unopened tin of PHDS from that year as well as an unopened tin of Orlik DSK from the same year.

@DrumsAndBeer: the tobaccos used are very similar, if not the same. The toppings are different. The older Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky had a little more red Virginia than it does now. They use a little more bright Va. currently to make up for the lessening of the red Va. I remember the 2002-2004 PHDS having just a little less red than the Orlik in that time period. I have smoked the current version of PHDS, and it looks and mostly tastes the same as the earlier production, although here again, I think a little more bright Va. is used. I have not tried the current Orlik yet, but it looks the same as the PH from a picture I saw.

JimInks":g3c98rfr said:
@DrumsAndBeer: the tobaccos used are very similar, if not the same. The toppings are different. The older Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky had a little more red Virginia than it does now. They use a little more bright Va. currently to make up for the lessening of the red Va. I remember the 2002-2004 PHDS having just a little less red than the Orlik in that time period. I have smoked the current version of PHDS, and it looks and mostly tastes the same as the earlier production, although here again, I think a little more bright Va. is used. I have not tried the current Orlik yet, but it looks the same as the PH from a picture I saw.
Thanks Jim. Much obliged. :D

tslots":zv2m3f1f said:
I thought P&C had a 5 tin limit?   :suspect:

I also enjoyed the older version but have not had a chance to try the new.    
I'm in Canada, so I can't order from them. However, smoking pipes and 4noggins have it as well; and there's no limit of the quantity you can order.

Hint hint. :D

I had purchased 5 tins and opened one. It was so heavily cased I only smoked one bowl. I've been opening the tin for a minute or two every couple days to see if it helps dissipate the flavor some. Based on others report's I feel I may have a bad tin or ???

Anyways, the other four will get buried and I'll revisit them in a few years.

leacha":8se579s9 said:
I had purchased 5 tins and opened one. It was so heavily cased I only smoked one bowl. I've been opening the tin for a minute or two every couple days to see if it helps dissipate the flavor some. Based on others report's I feel I may have a bad tin or ???
:face: :shock: Really? I was expecting it to be just a bit topped....Geeeeeeez_us.... :cry:

Hey Psmith...A brief summary:

I definitively enjoyed it. I wasn't sure there was any DFK in the mixture at first, by tin aroma or taste, until I would detect spicier, more intense taste and nicotine input.
Very pleasant molasses flavour that is fairly present throughout but does not impede on the tobacco taste. It's not a complex tobacco but satisfying. The twist to DSK is that, depending on the colour of the leaf you pack into your pipe, there will be variations in intensity from one pipeful to the next.
As well, despite the casing, I can't say there was a ghost in any of the pipes I used to smoke it. I am glad I have 9 tins left and I can tell you I will buy more. It's a one of a kind mixture.

Here's my review on TR (Junkyard Dawg, the very first one) for a more detailed description:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/827/orlik-tobacco-company-a-s-dark-strong-kentucky

The new version has less red Virginia and more bright Virginia than the earlier version. It's cut into much smaller flakes now. Also, the topping is stronger. I like it, but not as much as the earlier version. Open a tin and let it breathe for a while, and it's better. That's my experience.

Is it still layered as the original was, with the top of the cakes being dark, and the bottom being light? That was always something I liked about the original, as you could "play" with the blend a bit, and made for a very attractive presentation. In fact, that was what inspired me to explore layering in JackKnife plug, sandwiching the brights between outer layers of the darker VAs and the dark-fired leaf.

I still have one old tin of the original DSK in my stash. It'll be interesting to open it to see how much darker the brights have become.

Guyrox":e6mig0pk said:

I definitively enjoyed it. I wasn't sure there was any DFK in the mixture at first, by tin aroma or taste, until I would detect spicier, more intense taste and nicotine input.
Very pleasant molasses flavour that is fairly present throughout but does not impede on the tobacco taste. It's not a complex tobacco but satisfying. The twist to DSK is that, depending on the colour of the leaf you pack into your pipe, there will be variations in intensity from one pipeful to the next.
As well, despite the casing, I can't say there was a ghost in any of the pipes I used to smoke it. I am glad I have 9 tins left and I can tell you I will buy more. It's a one of a kind mixture.

Here's my review on TR (Junkyard Dawg, the very first one) for a more detailed description:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/827/orlik-tobacco-company-a-s-dark-strong-kentucky

glpease":awwyi8ko said:
Is it still layered as the original was, with the top of the cakes being dark, and the bottom being light? That was always something I liked about the original, as you could "play" with the blend a bit, and made for a very attractive presentation. In fact, that was what inspired me to explore layering in JackKnife plug, sandwiching the brights between outer layers of the darker VAs and the dark-fired leaf.

I still have one old tin of the original DSK in my stash. It'll be interesting to open it to see how much darker the brights have become.

Guyrox":awwyi8ko said:

I never could try the original release, Greg. But that's pretty much how it is layered: half lighter coloured leaf, and half darker leaf.

Guyrox":eih4xoli said:
glpease":eih4xoli said:

Guyrox":eih4xoli said:

I never could try the original release, Greg. But that's pretty much how it is layered: half lighter coloured leaf, and half darker leaf.
Fun stuff! I'll have to give the new version a go. Thanks.

Sounds eclectic to me......

What an interesting hobby/habit pipe smoking is, eh? Ropes, spun, layered, caked, cubes, slabs, slices, loose, etc...

The coloured layer thing sounds like a hoot.

So, is the Jack Knife plug a layered cake as well?

Ozark Wizard":ku93limk said:
Sounds eclectic to me......

What an interesting hobby/habit pipe smoking is, eh? Ropes, spun, layered, caked, cubes, slabs, slices, loose, etc...  

The coloured layer thing sounds like a hoot.

So, is the Jack Knife plug a layered cake as well?
It is. I layered the brights as a core between two layers of darker leaf. I actually did this for reasons other than aesthetics. I wanted the bright VAs to retain some of their zesty character as the blocks fermented, rather than having that subsumed by the influence of the darker VAs and the dark-fired Kentucky leaf. It would be quite a different tasting tobacco if it was made any other way.

And, yeah, it looks pretty cool. The brights do darken down quite a bit over time, but that core is still plainly visible.