Out for a Nighttime Walk?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I had dinner at my daughter's suburban house last night. By 8:00 PM driving home, it was very dark. Just around the corner from my house, I came very close to hitting a pedestrian crossing the street in the middle of the block. There was no street light and he was wearing black or almost black clothing from head to toe. He was also wearing a dark ballcap. By the grace of God, I saw his earbuds that apparently had small LEDs. Not only was he dressed in dark clothing, but he was also either listening to something or talking on his cellphone. I simultaneously hit the breaks and my horn. He turned his head to see me and waved. My temptation was to get out of my car and lecture him, but my city has many daily shootings and you just never know what to expect.

That could have been me, as I'm the guy at night walking in the dark. They don't service street lights here until someone reports it, and then it takes them months to do anything about it. I always walk against traffic, on the left side of the road. I don't trust drivers behind me as a pedestrian. Trained our dogs to walk on the left of the body, so I'd walk them against traffic as well, up on the curb, in yards. Most running shoes have some reflective fabric(s) on them, which is what I often wear on walks. Also have little swatches of reflective tape I got from somewhere sewn onto the back of my caps. I've thought about getting one of those vests like crossing guards, highway workers, joggers, etc wear. I probably should. They look like the fabric would make noise, and I like the quiet of my walks.

I have a bright yellow Lands End jacket and a safety yellow ball cap. Depending on where I'm walking I also have an LED head lamp. I learned my lesson several years ago in a parking lot, walking to my car dressed in a dark suit and dark winter overcoat. I got hit by the side of a car backing out of a parking space. I was very lucky to escape with just minor scrapes. Last year, when I had daily daycare of my toddler granddaughter and took her for a daily walk in a stroller, during daylight, I always wore a safety orange, yellow, or lime green vest.

They do make reflective vests that aren't cumbersome and you barely notice you have it on. When I did a lot of running I was very untrusting of drivers at night. I had light-up vest, lights on my hat and shoes, probably looked like an alien in the dark. Might look dorky but better than the alternative.

Several years ago I was dating a woman who jogged every day, often when it was dark. She was very careless about her visibility until one of her jogging buddies got hit by a car and was severely injured. I bought her a belt like this one, which she did wear.

716+OSFkR7L._AC_UL320_.jpg

I've also had the experience of coming close to hitting a pedestrian at night who was wearing all dark clothing. Like Steve, I wanted to read him (or her) the riot act but thought better of it. For the life of me I cannot understand how someone can be so cavalier when it's obvious that wearing dark clothing at night is not conducive to being seen. That's the reason I got a day-glo vest when I was walking the streets before sunup in my initial exercise period here in AZ.

Cheers,

RR