P.HEINRICHS SPECIAL CURLY ANOTHER DISAPOINTMENT

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Well, I've been trying to broaden my horizons by trying other tobaccos other then DDNR and Escudo and so far within the last week it's just been disappointing to say the least. First Sutliff's 1849 and now P.Heinrich's Special Curly at an expense I wasn't too fond of paying. From first draw it was harsh and bitey to the edges of my tongue. Latter toward the end of the bowl it started to smooth but was still harsh tasting to me. In fact upon opening the tin it looked just like Newminster's Superior Round Slices but, that's where that ended. I don't get it, this stuff I'm told fly's off the shelves when it comes in. Well it'll certainly fly off my shelf and into tobacco purgatory. What do you guys see in this stuff?

Cartaphilus":o835p12w said:
Well, I've trying to broaden my horizons by trying other tobaccos other then DDNR and Escudo and so far within the last week it's just been disappointing to say the least. First Sutliff's 1849 and now P.Heinrich's Special Curly at an expense I wasn't too fond of paying. From first draw it was harsh and bitey to the edges of my tongue. Latter toward the end of the bowl it started to smooth but was still harsh tasting to me. In fact upon opening the tin it looked just like Newminster's Superior Round Slices but, that's where that ended. I don't get it, this stuff I'm told fly's off the shelves when it comes in. Well it'll certainly fly off my self and into tobacco purgatory. What do you guys see in this stuff?
I ask the same question about most of GLP's and C&D's blends :twisted: But then I like ketchup !  :cheers:  :cheers:  Different strokes for different folks. :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":cws2sfj1 said:
Cartaphilus":cws2sfj1 said:
Well, I've been trying to broaden my horizons by trying other tobaccos other then DDNR and Escudo and so far within the last week it's just been disappointing to say the least. First Sutliff's 1849 and now P.Heinrich's Special Curly at an expense I wasn't too fond of paying. From first draw it was harsh and bitey to the edges of my tongue. Latter toward the end of the bowl it started to smooth but was still harsh tasting to me. In fact upon opening the tin it looked just like Newminster's Superior Round Slices but, that's where that ended. I don't get it, this stuff I'm told fly's off the shelves when it comes in. Well it'll certainly fly off my shelf and into tobacco purgatory. What do you guys see in this stuff?
I ask the same question about most of GLP's and C&'s blends :twisted: But then I like ketchup !  :cheers:  :cheers:  Different strokes for different folks. :twisted: :twisted:
I understand that we are all different and that our tastes can very a lot but, you'd think when a product can't be held on the shelves that it would appeal to the majority.
I reckon, as I've always really known, that I'm not in anyway part of the majority and I "march to the beat of a different drum". :suspect:

I recon it's those new shades Ron; they're clouding your judgement ;)

Stick":2gwguwmo said:
I recon it's those new shades Ron; they're clouding your judgement ;)
If only that were true sir. :suspect:

I had a small sample of PH Curly last year that I found to be rather unremarkable. Not sweet or peppery enough for my palate. It wasn't bad tobacco, just kind of boring.

DrumsAndBeer":k9q9u4qe said:
I had a small sample of PH Curly last year that I found to be rather unremarkable. Not sweet or peppery enough for my palate. It wasn't bad tobacco, just kind of boring.
I can see if it wasn't so bitey how it just might be palatable to me and, I agree about boring. ;) Not sweet or a trace of real Perique as far as I'm concerned. And I wouldn't smoke it if it was the only thing I had. Just my opinion and the pain of my pocket book talking.

Sorry to hear that... I hate making a new purchase only to be let down. Not so much the money but the disappointment that drives me crazy. Crack open another tin of Escudo and be at peace ?

Brewdude":zcb05rzd said:
Thanks for the heads-up Ron and D&B. Looks like I probably will be giving this one a miss.

Cheers,

RR
BD, I suggest you at least sample it, my review as I always tell you guys is nothing to base your wanting or not wanting to try anything. I've got a tin pan mouth and have to live with it.
If you want I can send you a sample to try. ;)

Cartaphilus":ee2uehiw said:
Brewdude":ee2uehiw said:
Thanks for the heads-up Ron and D&B. Looks like I probably will be giving this one a miss.

Cheers,

RR
BD, I suggest you at least sample it, my review as I always tell you guys is nothing to base your wanting or not wanting to try anything. I've got a tin pan mouth and have to live with it.
Very kind of you Ron.

Cheers,

RR

Cartaphilus":6jlbomd2 said:
Brewdude":6jlbomd2 said:

Cheers,

RR
Remember, Ron's our resident Curmudgeon so I'd check and see what our resident 'baccy geek. Jim_Inks says about it ! And if he offers you some TAKE IT !!! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":lnsshoe3 said:
Cartaphilus":lnsshoe3 said:
Brewdude":lnsshoe3 said:

Cheers,

RR
Remember, Ron's our resident Curmudgeon so I'd check and see what our resident 'baccy geek. Jim_Inks says about it ! And if he offers you some TAKE IT !!! :twisted: :twisted:
I thought that's what I said? :suspect:

Been a while since I smoked this and what I smoked was from 2004. Haad about 7 years of age on it when I tried it. That age will take away any harshness or bite. May be a bit shy on perique but flavor and sweetness were right up there! Fermentation does wonders, even after just a year or two. Cat. suggest you Pack it all in Mason jar(s) and revisit it down the road.

zunismoke":882gg5ac said:
Been a while since I smoked this and what I smoked was from 2004. Haad about 7 years of age on it when I tried it.  That age will take away any harshness or bite. May be a bit shy on perique but flavor and sweetness were right up there! Fermentation does wonders, even after just a year or two. Cat. suggest you Pack it all in Mason jar(s) and revisit it down the road.
Yeah, that's what I've done, in masons and sitting in purgatory for at least a full year. :suspect:

Cartaphilus":xllcua3f said:
Yeah, that's what I've done, in masons and sitting in purgatory for at least a full year. :suspect:
And if you wish to send it to hell, Ron, send it my way. I will make sure it burns up in lots of smoke. LOL. Seriously, I think ageing it is the best thing. I remember my first taste of Christmas Cheer. Yuck! now, it is much better, even with a few months on it, and some drying time. Plus, I had to give my tastebuds a chance to get used to the flavor of the VAs. Now, I love em. :)

d4klutz":9tje0i0j said:
Cartaphilus":9tje0i0j said:
And if you wish to send it to hell, Ron, send it my way.  I will make sure it burns up in lots of smoke.  LOL.  Seriously, I think ageing it is the best thing.  I remember my first taste of Christmas Cheer.  Yuck!  now, it is much better, even with a few months on it, and some drying time.  Plus, I had to give my tastebuds a chance to get used to the flavor of the VAs.  Now, I love em.  :)
Purgatory is the Catholic middle ground waiting room between hell and heaven, kinda like Florida but, there's no sunny beaches...................or is there?

I've found this tobacco does much better with a few years age. Earlier this year, a friend sent me a two year old sample, and it was pretty decent. Much better than when I smoked it fresh. I always added a little perique to it. Here's my original review:

The Virginias have a little natural sweetness, but I got more of a hay, grassy, and woodsy flavor from them. The perique lightly gives the typical raisin and fig notes, but barely any spice. It's a fairly decent smoke that burns well, and is more of an all day smoke. I added some perique to it, which perked up a bit, and enjoyed it more when I did. If you're not wanting a lot of perique, you'll probably find this will fit your smoking profile. It probably deserves two and half stars, but I give it three because of the quality of the tobaccos, and the ease of how it smokes as well as how it tastes. However, I think it lacks a bass note to prop up the flavor, and I'm aging a tin of it to see what happens in a few years.

Edit: 5-14-14. I've been smoking some of this aged, and it has improved quite a bit. Fuller in taste and spice after a couple of years, as I suspected would happen. So, I give it 4 stars for the aged version and greatly recommend aging it.