Park Lane Tobacconist

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
Did any of you order from them? How was the service? I am thinking about trying their house blends, but tobaccoreviews.com has very few entries. Any recommendations? Read a lot of good things about Red Paramour, but I'm especially curious about their version of Bengal Slices. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

RED PARAMOUR aka "RED CRACK" is OUTSTANDING IMHO!!!
You should also try "The Connoisseurs Flake" which is Paul Bonacquisti's version of "Scottish Ribbon" (The now defunct "Connoisseur Shop" / NYC) .

Paul has really made some great blends. Go for it!

PS: Not to steal Paul's thunder but.......
Russ Ouellette just released "His Version" of Bengal Slices :king:
http://pipesandcigars.com/fura2oztin.html

I get to their shop from time to time, wonderful folks! I also enjoy the "Connoisseurs Flake" myself, very flavorful. (I have never tried the original)

Order with confidence - I am working my way through several samples of their blends. All of them good. I am sure you will find some you like.

Thanks for the suggestions. My problem is that they have so many blends that I don't know where to start. :study:

Call Paul and tell him what you like - he will give you some suggestions.

They were great to deal with. I tried a samples of their house blends but they didn't move me however.

Great people there at PL. I used to stop in a few times a month when I was working that area and they were always friendly and the service was second to none.

DoverPipes":9utmp5kx said:
You should also try "The Connoisseurs Flake" which is Paul Bonacquisti's version of "Scottish Ribbon" (The now defunct "Connoisseur Shop" / NYC) .

Try a couple ounces of those two. To paraphrase the Governator, "You'll be back!"

wet d

PL doesn't get the press some of the ETailers get, but they should. PaulB is a stellar blender. He also carves nice pipes and won the Slow Smoke event at the KW factory several years ago, He's knowledgeable and still manages to be a heckava nice guy.

I mail order from Park Lane, and their service is excellent. They have several samplers, and I've gotten several. They have quite a few excellent Lats, especially Old Church and PL11010. I liked Bengal so much it is one of the pounds I've jarred up. It is similar to Bengal Slices, best I can tell given the ageing difference, though the anise/licorice/whatever topping is muted.

hp
les

rothnh":97p3q9ho said:
DoverPipes":97p3q9ho said:

Try a couple ounces of those two. To paraphrase the Governator, "You'll be back!"
Both of those sound delicious.

I once read something, I forget where, about the development of Connoisseurs Flake. The blender did a kind of contest and blended up a number of possible samples to come as close as he could to the blend that was lost when the New York store mentioned above closed down. Connoisseurs Flake was the blend that most of the testers said came closest to the original...but another blend the offer, Luxury Scottish Flake was another one that many thought was very close. Comments were made that one blend tasted more like an aged version and the other tasted more like a fresh version. I've tried both the Red Parramour and the Connoisseurs Flake and they're both solid blends...haven't tried the Scotish Flake yet...but it would likely be a good addition to any order.

Well, they have one called something like 'Oriental Somethingorother Phase 2'...supposed to be a VA with Orientals but no Latakia. That's one I've always wanted to try. If anyone has any first hand information on it I'd like to know. I'd like to order some to try but their shipping is really high - so I never have.

$11.05 to ship a single pound of tobacco? I'm sorry, but that is absurd. The online shipping price is $7.55 for 1.5LBs (to allot for the tobacco + box). The USPS supplies the box. The USPS will pick it up for free. They'll supply the labels for certain levels of business account.

Does anyone know if we have a discount code for us here at Brothers of Briar? Thanks.

I've ordered by phone and there shipping is more reasonable that way. Seemed no higher then any other place I order from.

Hiram-2011":nziii6le said:
I've ordered by phone and there shipping is more reasonable that way.  Seemed no higher then any other place I order from.
Thanks. Good info.

I've never ordered from them, but I've had a number of their blends through gifts and trades. Red Paramour, Connoisseurs Flake, and Fireside are all pretty tasty blends.

Traded for a sample of the PL-11010. While medium-mild on the front end, this has a rich, luxurious flavor on the back end. In other words, not a huge amount of flavor in the smoke, but after you release, swallow, and taste, it's full of satisfying, complex notes that linger. Not normally the kind of tasting I desire (I tend to like to be beat over the tongue with flavor), but because I found the flavors that good, I'd love to have more. I also sensed a hint of the floral note also found in their Bengal blend. I don't see any other mention of that online in reviews or blend descriptions, so that might be a consequence of how my trader handled it, stored it, shipped it (with a little Bengal), etc. I can only tell you that I hope it wasn't a fluke, because that was a really nice touch. Far more subtle and nuanced than their Bengal, only delicately adding to the flavor palette.

I never had the Dunhill they're saying this matches, but I know I wish I had.

To touch on the luxury of this blend, it reminds me of how rich and "soapy" some of the old English blends were. Like Crown Achievement twenty-five years ago. It's not something I run into often these days. It's truly like stepping back in time.