Parker pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASmith

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I was wandering around cupojoe's website today, looking for good deals on new pipes, and came across Parker pipes...Prices looked good, so I did some research...
I have done a search on here with minimal results, but I would like to hear from anyone that owns/have owned a Parker on their experiences...
Take Care,
Jason

I don't think you can go wrong for $52. They look pretty handsome to me!
jcb42.jpg

JASmith":famg294a said:
Hello Folks,
I was wandering around cupojoe's website today, looking for good deals on new pipes, and came across Parker pipes...Prices looked good, so I did some research...
I have done a search on here with minimal results, but I would like to hear from anyone that owns/have owned a Parker on their experiences...
Take Care,
Jason
Depending on it's age, most Parkers are VERY good pipes. At one time, they and Hardcastle were made in the same factory as Dunhill and sometimes are reffered to as Dunhill "seconds', though Dunhill states they NEVER made any seconds :p They were one of many old line pipe co's in England that produced excellent pipes. Later in the 70's I believe, they were produced as Parker-Hardcastle . I have 3 Hardcastles made in the mid 70s which are great smokers. At that price, it looks like it would be a good one.

Iv'e definitely heard the old Parkers are real gems. These, sold by Cup-O-Joes, are new Parkers. I cant recall anyone commenting about these new Parkers.
monbla256":x8z05xai said:
JASmith":x8z05xai said:
Hello Folks,
Take Care,
Jason
Depending on it's age, most Parkers are VERY good pipes. At one time, they and Hardcastle were made in the same factory as Dunhill and sometimes are reffered to as Dunhill "seconds', though Dunhill states they NEVER made any seconds :p They were one of many old line pipe co's in England that produced excellent pipes. Later in the 70's I believe, they were produced as Parker-Hardcastle . I have 3 Hardcastles made in the mid 70s which are great smokers. At that price, it looks like it would be a good one.

Have heard the old ones are very good, the new ones not so much. I don't own any.

kni140.jpg

I just got this one not to long ago. I like it a lot. Smokes very well. The only thing about it was that it came with a small metal filter in the stem which was proptly removed. Mine also does not have the silver band around the stem.

JVickers43":p13r2inz said:
kni140.jpg

I just got this one not to long ago. I like it a lot. Smokes very well. The only thing about it was that it came with a small metal filter in the stem which was proptly removed. Mine also does not have the silver band around the stem.
I just picked up an old Parker and was surprised to find a metal filter that came inside. Glad to know I can just put it aside.

monbla256":3odtlrwt said:
Zeno Marx - are you part of the Karl line or Groucho line?":3odtlrwt said:
Buy an older one...back when they were part of the Dunhill factory system
Where do you guys think they're being made? Really, you can tell me. I can take it. :no:

The factory that Dunhill Manufacturing uses today was the Parker-Hardcastle factory because it was the most modern. I think it was built in 1960 or so. That is the St. Andrews Road factory. So as the market for pipes shrunk they consolidated pipe manufacturing back into one factory. The leather goods are there too. All pipe lines were made there for a long time and not in the distant past, recently. But you notice the past tense, right?

So what constitutes a 'Dunhill factory system' and where do you think the Parkers are made today? Extra points for providing a correct street address in addition to country & city! :?:

Please allow me to edit my comment. I don't want to further misinformation.

Buy an older one.

Zeno Marx":sio3n0w0 said:

Buy an older one.
What misinformation?

How old does it have to be?

Rusty":wxiyj73i said:
Zeno Marx":wxiyj73i said:

Buy an older one.
What misinformation?

At least as old as you :p

monbla256":y9f94ppt said:
Rusty":y9f94ppt said:
Zeno Marx":y9f94ppt said:

Buy an older one.
What misinformation?

At least as old as you :p
Ok so explain why Parkers made in the 50's or earlier were better than today's.
That means you understand both to a sufficient extent to explain.

In the vintage pipes thread you said something different...
monbla256":y9f94ppt said:
As far as would an older, pre-owned "estate" pipe be "better" than one made today really has soooo many variables that a definative answer is almost impossible to give.
Sooo... you gave a definitive answer for Parkers and I'm just asking for the reasons.

I never stated that Parkers made in the '50s or earlier were better. I only have some Hardcastles bought new around 1973/74 and they are GREAT pipes, no fills, well cut ebonite bits and nice qtr grain on 'em. I knew as many of us were told at that time that Parker and Hardcastle were merged and we began seeing Parker-Hardcastle pipes for sale. I guess since they were made in the same factory as Dunhills,( I don't know the EXACT address but I'm sure you do ) most folks presumed and it was stated that they were Dunhill seconds by some, and others said that Dunhill did not make or sell seconds. Since I was not privy to all the inside info ( as you obviously are) about the pipe buidness i just took it all with a grain of salt and bought my 'bac and put it in my pipes and smoked 'em. Please enlighten us as to THE truth about all this Dunhill/Parker/Hardcastle inticacies :p

monbla256":4a7q5t7h said:
I never stated that Parkers made in the '50s or earlier were better. I only have some Hardcastles bought new around 1973/74 and they are GREAT pipes, no fills, well cut ebonite bits and nice qtr grain on 'em. I knew as many of us were told at that time that Parker and Hardcastle were merged and we began seeing Parker-Hardcastle pipes for sale. I guess since they were made in the same factory as Dunhills,( I don't know the EXACT address but I'm sure you do ) most folks presumed and it was stated that they were Dunhill seconds by some, and others said that Dunhill did not make or sell seconds. Since I was not privy to all the inside info ( as you obviously are) about the pipe buidness i just took it all with a grain of salt and bought my 'bac and put it in my pipes and smoked 'em. Please enlighten us as to THE truth about all this Dunhill/Parker/Hardcastle inticacies :p
Moonbla, you are such a trouble maker, lol. I think the real question at hand is, if we stuck you, Rusty, and Kyle in a room and locked the door, what would we find the next morning when we unlocked and opened the door. :affraid:

-Scott

YEP ! In fact I'm doing that right now in my Hardcastle Deluxe Pot :p It's my third bowl of this for the day!

monbla256":ezcivese said:
YEP ! In fact I'm doing that right now in my Hardcastle Pot :p It's my third bowl of this for the day!
Ahh, a Brother after my own heart. Nothing better in my mind than Royal Blend in one of my pot shapes (2 Pre-Trans Barling pots and 1 Wilke Pot). I have been meaning to ask you by the way. Have you ever tried Pipeworks&Wilke #400. Not trying to make you break out your wallet, but #400 is like Royal Blend on steroids!!!

-Scott

I have not tried any of thier 'bac. I've looked on thier site and they look to have some interesting blends for sure :p Have to say that the days of 'bac "... on steroids" is not where I'm at any more. I like a little more in the nuanced and smooth side smoking wise. Am really getting to appreciate straight Virginia's more and more :p BTW, the Pot shape is a nice one for Va's I'm finding out as well. It's my second most fave shape i own, next to my Bulldogs .