Penzance !!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
Ok so ever have one of those Aha! moments and you never ever want it to end.

Got a box of samples in from drumsandbeer (thanks again) and figured I would give Penzance ago first. I have tried it before but it was in big pipe that I had smoked like five bowls in previously that night, was playing beer pong, and drinking jameson. So I didn't taste much of it , which is a down dirty shame. Figured I'd give her another go with more deserved attention in a smaller fresh clean pipe.

So wife conked out around 6:30 with a head ache, put little one in bed at 8 and I normally go to bed around 10:30. Woo hoo free time ;) . So I choose my Peterson tankard with a p-lip, get a fresh cup of pecan praline coffee. I bring them all outside and set my laptop up to watch an episode of bones and relax in the cool weather and the gentle rain.

I figured I'd only give it about 1/2 a bowl so I don't waste the rare baccy in an untested combination (ugh what a mistake) :evil: . So I light up and get hit with an amazing smoothness. As soon as the bac was tamped and the relight done the aha moment started , coffee notes, great nose, semi sweet chocalate, a little bit of grains, some earthyness , and a smooth smokyness that doesn't over power the other components but just harmonized them into bliss. Then 15 to 20 minutes later and I start hitting the bottom.... Nooooooo!

Quickly rubbed out some more and layed it on top, still a way above normal good smoke but that perfect smoke has faded to an amazing smoke. Taste is still there but funkyed up the burn quality

Gotta hate when that happens. :p

At least I know the combination, going to let her rest and give a full bowl a try when I get some more free time. :cheers:

P.S.
Can still smell it in my mustache and its giving my the shivers, so that's why they call um flavor savers. :twisted:

Penzance is good stuff man! I love it.. congrats on your aha moment! You will have many more along the years, and thats what keeps you coming back..we are always in search of that moment.
Enjoy!

Once Penzance and stache are experienced you are walking down a trail that does not ever return to the starting point. Your quest for Penzance will endure as surely as your mustache.

Well Ian, Penzance is the perfect smoke for when your wife goes to bed at 6:30pm with a headache. It's the BIG payback & its stank factor has a very long half life, has tainted many a staches, and sent a record number of wives running for cover.

Happy you are enjoying the sample. That said, I am really looking forward to your reaction to Odyssey. Hands down my favorite smoke of the bunch. Just be sure to take Mr. Pease's advice & pack it a little looser than you normally would to start.

Penzance has taken a back seat to SOTE Flake, but it's still good stuff. It can be irritating with it getting "grainy" when being prepped, and can be a bit to wrestle with while lighting, but it's decent stuff. Glad you're enjoying it, Ian. :)

Nothing like "Latakia 'Stache." Love it.

8)

One man's taste is not another man's choice. I smoked Star of the East and did not like it at all. I smoke Penzance every day and I like it very much.

jealous, just jealous. I found several tins of penzance long ago and decided against buying them (I smoked only cigars at the time and still realized what a find it was). Keep kicking myself over it.

Star of the east is AS good as Penzance.. I spent a year smoking those two and PS Luxury Navy Flake exclusively..\

Star of the East flake.. No. No. No. No. No. I'm not sure if the recipe really did change or if the press made that big of a deal (I remember controversy) I do not like the SOTE Flake. I do not like it in my cake. I do not like it in a lake. I do not like SOTE Flake. It is a smoke I can not take. Thats one blend I would not make.

Year 2000 Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls in a slight bend black sandblast 2001 D.R. Ardor Urano Ninfea Fatta A Mano author with a silver band on the shank and stem.

Old Companion in a slight bend 1984 Stanwell Antique 124 grain etched with a smooth front.

Star of the East Flake is Penzance-like. The feel, the cut, the crumbliness, the approach. I found SOTE Flake more dynamic, or Penzance was less so. I still like Penzance, but with how hard it is to get, to hell with it. Star of the East regular-cut is different than the Flake, for sure. It's spicier, bolder (not in Latakia, but in the other stuff) and is a joy.

Please, don't go buy SOTE Flake. By all means. I like knowing it will be around when I need it. :lol: I think between it, EMP and Embarcadero it makes up my many "repeats" in my comparatively small cellar.

8)

Going to stop by and have my guy order some SOTE today, I really like smoothness that penzance offered. Is there any cav in there?

Penzance goes right over my head. It must be that good because many pipe smokers say it is. Perhaps I have looked at it as a heavy latakia blend when instead it is an oriental with latakia.