Peretti

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm_Crow

Reaction score
My first go diving into these tobaccos and I just felt the need to share my overwhelmingly positive experience with their blends so far regarding 2 burlies, Thanksgiving Day, and 102.

Thanksgiving Day comes in a 4 ounce rectangular and very loose crumble cake. It's a straight burley that's lightly sweet and with outstanding burning qualities. It's tough to compare because while it has the nuttiness you'd expect with white cube burley as found in blends like Carter Hall, there's something else in there that adds a unique and very pleasant addition to this holiday blend.

102 is what Shortcut to Mushrooms would be if it had burley, which is to say the nuttiness of the burley is accented by STM's mellow lightly sweet and lightly smoky qualities. It's one of those blends containing latakia that you wouldn't be afraid to someone who absolutely hates latakia. It's so light that it just barely adds its effects and compliments the blend.

Not to scare anyone off, but both blends do have a very, very tastefully applied topping, but in both cases it only improves the tobacco flavors, burying nothing.

I also have Cambridge Flake and a sample of 101 from Peretti, so I look forward to finding out if I enjoy those blends as much as the ones I've already tried.

Thanksgiving Day is fabulous, wait until you taste it with a few months of jar time :) I believe the topping is rum.

I have been meaning to place an order with them for a while now. Just out of curiosity, I heard they tin their blends up in yellow paint can style containers like Long Golden Flake. How much of one blend do you need to order to receive the paint can tin?

The tobacco is bagged; the paint can is their trademark. A lb will get the can, maybe less. Some cans I've gotten are rusted; Peretti is not worried about that.

DrumsAndBeer":z3qqrcxa said:
I have been meaning to place an order with them for a while now. Just out of curiosity, I heard they tin their blends up in yellow paint can style containers like Long Golden Flake. How much of one blend do you need to order to receive the paint can tin?
8 ozs will get you one of the smallest cans. Over that you get the larger ones. And yes, it is bagged inside the can. My experience is that I order 8oz quantities, and only open one at a time to transfer to my "humidor", my glass "perfait' bail-lid jar that I smoke out of leaving the rest in the bag and in the tin till I smoke up what's in the jar then I transfer the rest of the "paint can" to it again. I have left a can for almost 2 years without opening and had NO problem with rust or the 'bac drying out. The cans are handy for "stuff" storage after the 'bacs gone as well :p Their cans do not have the opening lever as do the Renier cans so you need a screwdriver to pry open Peretti's cans, as they are real paint cans :p

"Shortcut to Mushroom" was a sample I received from someone during my humbling bombing. While interesting, it had a muted, understated notion about it (not to be confused with "subtle.") That's about all I can comment on the subject, but a little Burley applied the right way could be good, and the wrong way, could just turn the volume down even more.

Which reminds me, eventually I need to get some Tashkent and Oriental 40...

8)

monbla256":lxbqzcfw said:
8 ozs will get you one of the smallest cans. Over that you get the larger ones. And yes, it is bagged inside the can. My experience is that I order 8oz quantities, and only open one at a time to transfer to my "humidor", my glass "perfait' bail-lid jar that I smoke out of leaving the rest in the bag and in the tin till I smoke up what's in the jar then I transfer the rest of the "paint can" to it again. I have left a can for almost 2 years without opening and had NO problem with rust or the 'bac drying out. The cans are handy for "stuff" storage after the 'bacs gone as well :p Their cans do not have the opening lever as do the Renier cans so you need a screwdriver to pry open Peretti's cans, as they are real paint cans :p
Thanks for the info.. :cheers:

Their Virginia based flakes are quite good also. Ken and I a while back had a long discussion as to whether they made them themselves or bought them from (probably) McClellands? Summerset Slices and Boston Sliced are also great. But my favorite of theirs is the Scotch flake.

And for you packers, their 8 ounce tins can be made into the base of a great stick-stove for solo packing. :lol:

Natch

:rendeer:
Natch":o0n6910c said:
Their Virginia based flakes are quite good also. Ken and I a while back had a long discussion as to whether they made them themselves or bought them from (probably) McClellands? Summerset Slices and Boston Sliced are also great. But my favorite of theirs is the Scotch flake.

And for you packers, their 8 ounce tins can be made into the base of a great stick-stove for solo packing. :lol:

Natch
Jeff, how do you prepare the Scottish Flake? That was one that you sent me a sample of that I really struggled with. For one, I had very little reference point to work from as far as anything that's comparable. I mean who else tops a VA based flake with red wine? I smoked through your generous sample but I felt a bit unsure of what Peretti was looking to achieve with this flake. I had an incredibly tough time keeping it lit! Obviously I need an education on how to best enjoy their Scottish Flake. :)

I cut it cross-grain, so it breaks into little cubs (looks rather like cubed burleys) and dry the hell out if it. Like cubed burley, even when they feel dry to the touch, those tough little cubes seem to hold a lot of moisture inside. Also, when I load the pipe I shake/save the fines/powder for last, so I have a layer of "gunpowder" to top off the bowl. Finally, if time permits, I set up the pipe and let it set for hours to over night, so that tip layer gets really dry.

Then I take my industrial sized plasma torch and.... :lol:

Natch