Peterson Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
...where does Peterson get its meerschaum? My buddy James got a Pete Meer the other day and it's a real sharp mambajamba, but considering Turkey's exportation laws regarding "raw" meer, Africa no longer mining meerschaum, and how light and cool the Pete Meer smoked...of course, the question was raised. Perhaps it's contracted in Turkey and bowls are sent to Ireland?

8)

Kyle, I wish I knew the answer to that question. Cigars International has a Pete meer bulldog that has really caught my eye, but the $300 price tag has me stalling.

Kyle Weiss":7h4b723j said:
...where does Peterson get its meerschaum? My buddy James got a Pete Meer the other day and it's a real sharp mambajamba, but considering Turkey's exportation laws regarding "raw" meer, Africa no longer mining meerschaum, and how light and cool the Pete Meer smoked...of course, the question was raised. Perhaps it's contracted in Turkey and bowls are sent to Ireland?

8)
From what a freind of mine who works for a pipe distributor, told me, the new Meers ARE rough turned in Turkey and sent to Ireland for finishing. The older darker Meers that were oil cured were rough turned in Africa, from African meer and finished on the Isle of Mann back when they sold these. The Sherlock Holmes series of Meers are Turkish meer as well. From what I heard years ago, they NEVER sold pressed- meer pipes whether African or Turkish.

Wait just a gosh darn minute, someone got a new pipe and there isn't a gosh darn picture up on BoB yet!!!! :evil:

Man I wish I could get my hands on some raw meer. Being that I've been carving stone for 17 years, and have made pipe of pipe stone, and I love figural carving and have had to refrain from doing so in briar for a while until I get the commissions for such work. that and I want to make one for myself :p

it used to get it from lexey mines in tanzania..
There is no more resource in tanzania so now they get from a company named altinay pipe

you can check them at "altinaypipe dot com "as far as I am concerned.

altinay is a very old meerschaum compan found pn 80s and they procided meers of sms and other big brands cao.

the rest of the meerschaum business is in hands of small workshops currently

:albino:

Cool, thanks for the info, Monbla. I figured it was something akin to that.

I'm not going to post pictures of another guy's pipe, that just wouldn't be right. :lol: James can just come here and post it himself. :lol:

8)

Admittedly, I don't watch Peterson Meerschaums closely. I remember them being heavy and clunky in the 80s and 90s, which are two things I was taught were not good attributes of a block of meerschaum. Maybe my memory is off, though? I've noticed some crazy prices lately. Have they been going for $150-400 for long, or is this a recent trend? Have they suddenly become collectible or desirable? Is it the Chinese market? Or is this just normal, and I've been asleep?

Boulder&Briar":2o3h7m1q said:
Man I wish I could get my hands on some raw meer. Being that I've been carving stone for 17 years, and have made pipe of pipe stone, and I love figural carving and have had to refrain from doing so in briar for a while until I get the commissions for such work. that and I want to make one for myself :p
Vermont Freehand has turkish block for sale, $75-125.

Zeno, meers of quality manufacture have been commanding prices like that for as long as I've been a pipe smoker. There are quite a few cheaper ones but they usually are no where near as nicely carved and could possibly be pressed as well. Decent used ones are always coming up for sale but I'd want to examine a meer in person before buying.

Jim