Peterson P-Lip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Brothers at the moment I am being consumed with an extreme case of PAD. I'm looking at a Peterson 9MM Filter Kinsale Smooth Bulldog XL-13 P-Lip. I like this pipe. I want this pipe. My problem is that I have no experience with a P-Lip stem. Anyone tried this system and care to share your thoughts and experiences? As always I'll be grateful for your input. BTW I tried to find one with a fishtail stem but I struck out.
AJ

Only have a couple of P-Lips but i like em, they have a different feel but i find them quite comfortable.

That's a nice pipe. I've never had a p-lip on a straight pipe, so this may be irrelevant, but they seem OK on a bent. I actually like it quite a bit, which surprised me. They are a great aid in hanging the pipe from your teeth. The value of the smoke being directed toward the roof of your mouth is debatable. At issue, for me, is the draw--whether it's restricted or not. I have one that has a wide open draw, and one that didn't. I ended up modifying it, an option not everyone would find acceptable. You will need to pull the stem in order to use a pipe cleaner. That might be a turn-off for you. I'd say go for it--or have Cup O'Joe's order one for you with a fishtail. Big help, right?

Call me an old fogey, but I dislike the P-lip. To me it was an idea that served marketing more than cooling and ratcheting down tongue burn. Just my opinion, as I only have one P-lip, but I dislike it enough that I only smoke it once or twice a year.

Have only had a single p-lip. Bent, rusticated pipe. It is supposed to cut down on tongue bite. I didn't find that the case. If it was hot blend it stayed that -- just redirected. The bowl was a bit small. The feeling in the mouth not what I was used too. It got smoked only when something else had to be rested. I fear it has prejudiced me against the brand to this day.

I think it is a great example of how pipes are seen and honored. P's have their advocates and fan boys. Seems true for every brand out there. People trade other pipes and one fellows horror becomes a beloved addition to another.

This all seems another case of you pays your money and takes your chances. If you buy it right, you'll at least find a home for those that don't garner your respect.

ajn27511":peiei03d said:
Brothers at the moment I am being consumed with an extreme case of PAD. I'm looking at a Peterson 9MM Filter Kinsale Smooth Bulldog XL-13 P-Lip. I like this pipe. I want this pipe. My problem is that I have no experience with a P-Lip stem. Anyone tried this system and care to share your thoughts and experiences? As always I'll be grateful for your input. BTW I tried to find one with a fishtail stem but I struck out.
AJ
I have several Peterson's and many of them came with P-lips which do not work well for me. As far as the "no-bite" aspect of the smoke stream being directed at the roof of the mouth, I feel that's a bit of hooey as hot, bitey smoke is still in your mouth regardless of where it's directed. The bend the draft hole takes at the button can cause airflow restrictions AND make it more difficult to pass a cleaner as well. But my main issue is the cross=section shape of the P-lip stem, it's very rounded and for my dentures this is not good. I'm a wide, thin fishtail guy so have had new stems made this way for all my Pete's that came with P-lips and life is good ! ( I've kept the OEM P-lips in the box) JMHO and experience :p See if your retailer can order one with the fishtail or get one made if your preference is for the other style.

I love the p-lip; on a Peterson they just look "right" and are one of the things that make a Peterson a Peterson. I have several straight Petersons with p-lips; in fact the pipe in my avatar is the only Pete I own with a fishtail, and I wish it had a p-lip.

That said, not everyone likes them; they're kind of an acquired taste. On a couple of my pipes the p-lip bit seems unnecessarily thick; that's something I'd try to avoid if I were to buy another. I'm not sure they do what they're advertized to do (cut down on tongue bite) but I do like the look and feel.

Hawker":i6qcaq8w said:
Only have a couple of P-Lips but i like em, they have a different feel but i find them quite comfortable.
My sentiments exactly.

I have more than ten Petes at last count, including P-lip and fishtail. I prefer the latter, but have gotten accustomed to the former. The p-lip is okay, I just don't see the advantage and, to me, a disadvantage is extra bumps at the bit. Just remember that the concave curve at the bottom of the P-lip is where your tongue is supposed to fit. Other words, your tongue is the first thing that touches the bit when you place it in your mouth. Then leave it there.

My pref for the fishtail is probably because I like to hold the pipe, not clench it.

As you can plainly see, this is a matter of piper preference. The folks at Sallynoggin have sold plenty of P-lips. And fishtails. It must be expensive to make the same pipes in two different bit designs.

I am personally not a fan of my one P-Lip. I much perfer my Peterson with a Fish Tale.
The reason I am not a fan of the P-Lip is because I love the taste of the smoke on my tounge. The P-Lip pushes the smoke to the roof of my mouth, so i need to hold the P-Lip funny to get the smoke to hit my tounge.
As with all things pipe, it comes down to personal prefereance.
If you have anot tried a P-Lip before, give it a shot. Only way you will know if it works for you or not.

I tried two, sold both. They were new Petes, lower-end. I've heard pre-Republic p-lips are better overall.

I have a P-lip on a smallish poker. It sits well and I have no complaints.

I've 11 Pete's, and 8 of them are P-lips.

Never had any issue with them, apart from a slightly restricted draw. Actually I find that works in my favor since it makes me pay more attention to the prep and packing.

I kind of like the feel of the button too. They don't clench well, and since I'm a clencher this also forces me to keep the pipe out of my gob when not drawing. This keeps down the wear on the stem.

So ya, I'm OK with them.

Cheers,

RR

Only one of my Peterson's is a P-lip, but if I were to purchase another Peterson and had the choice, I would choose the P-lip over the fishtail. It's not that I don't like their fishtail stems, but rather I enjoy having the variety of a P-lip stem in my rotation.

Dutch: That's an interesting point of view. 8) Hadn't considered that. Thanks for responding.
AJ

I have one p-lip pipe. It was a gift, and I find the p-lip works well with the bent design (302 Apple- a system pipe) to hold it in my teeth. I find I like it more than I expected.

If I have a choice I'll opt for fishtail, but unfortuantely many of my favorite Petes only come in P-Lip, so its not much of a choice.

I have over a dozen Petes all are p-lip but one. I have to say that I like the p-lip over the fishtail. MIKE