Peterson pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ya'll. Those pipes have given me much pleasure over the years. I bought my first Peterson's as a grad student, c. 1970; it's the System pipe on the far left. They've seen me though some times: good and bad.

I have a small collection of the Pete spigots, all fishtail mouthpieces. I like them for being solid, heavy pipes. I have purchased both new and estate, the bowl coating is a PITA but with some wiping with alcohol and a couple of smokes it pretty much disappears. I consider them to be an excellent pipe, and am always on the look out for new ones. Some of them such as the Mark Twains have a great following of collectors and demand high prices when they come up for sale.

Handsome Dynamite":b29t6sxu said:
Is it just me (of my Petes) or do Petes get cake more slowly that other pipes.
Now that you mention it, my Petes seem to cake more slowly than my other pipes as well. Interesting, as one would thank that once the initial coating forms, cake formation would proceed at the same rate for all pipes, assuming similar tobaccos and puffing techniques are used?

Ah well, another unexplained mystery of life.

Natch

I have had a few Petes that I thought would NEVER cake up and then one day, I couldn't even get my tamper down 'em. I think good pipes build cake slow and tough.

get your pipe with an adaptor,then you can try filter pipe or a non-filter pipe and the choice is yours.Either way you have a good pipe.I have at least 7 petes and all smoke well.On the filter side,Most of my pipes are 9mm.You have a choice with them.Pipe technique is proper pipe smoking,filter or no filter.I have been piping for more then a half a century and the three Xmas pipes I bought for this year are Vipratis and dunhills.two of my favorites. this blog has reminded me to buy another Pete to replace one I bought after the big flood.I got it used,and it has served for a long time.One of the guys sugested to look at Stanwells.Thats a good idea.Good smokers.

I have a couple of dozen (maybe more, not sure) Petes & I love them. There have been some quality issues with a few recent Petes - fills & the like - but by & large these are isolated instances. Generally they're good smokers though I've had the odd one gurgle. It's the classic shapes that do it for me. Probably every pipe smoker needs to own a Pete 303, the quintessential (in my book) Pete shape.

I love them for smoking my English blends. They are outstanding quality and I have become more careful about taking them on fishing or hunting trips. I learned about them too late.

Stinger

I haven't yet had the opportunity of owning one of these pipes. But one of my "Dream Pipes" is the Mark Twain calabash. One day (hopefully sooner than later) I will find one. It is the one pipe that I see that looks just right for me...*sigh* someday.

I think everyone who smokes a pipe as a hobby has had a Pete; I've got am estate Kinsdale XL 15 made in the Republic of Ireland which is a bent Bulldog with a P-lip. It was one of the first good pipes I got; I didn't like the P-lip particularly -- I found it didn't draw easily enough for me -- but it's certainly worth trying a Peterson, some guys don't smoke anything else. They're not overpriced, the worse thing is that it's a tuition payment.

Tim_Haggerty":3sowfhvd said:
I think everyone who smokes a pipe as a hobby has had a Pete; I've got am estate Kinsdale XL 15 made in the Republic of Ireland which is a bent Bulldog with a P-lip. It was one of the first good pipes I got; I didn't like the P-lip particularly -- I found it didn't draw easily enough for me -- but it's certainly worth trying a Peterson, some guys don't smoke anything else. They're not overpriced, the worse thing is that it's a tuition payment.
I like that!

I purchased my first Peterson Pipe in the mid sixties.I purchased it based on the reputation of the manufacturer.I have continued to collect them, mostly because
they are a great looking pipe, as well as an excelent smoke. To date my count on petes are 22. only one system 302 Premier, Don't care for systems.

"There's a Story behind every Bowl"

Not more than 6 months ago, I shipped a K & P Irish Made 106 back to Peterson
to have the stem replaced. It was returned to me in less than a month in like new condition.Another reason to buy petes.

The oldest pete in my collection is an 80s flame grain grain p-lip with 1928 hallmarks.Also a kapet & kallarney in that same shape.Some require more time than others to break in. but the time spent is well worth it.Can't think of any brand that would recomend over the petes.

In regards to the photos that Idlefello posted of his Petes. They all seem to be well taken care of, also i noticed that they are not heavily caked. I agree with that approach to cake building, & reaming.I Don't know if a thick cake would improve the smoke. I guess it comes down to a personal preference.
Love those Petes.

I have a Pete Kinsale XL20 and it's a favorite buddy. It is highly lacquered and although most guys say lacquer on a bowl is not a good thing, this pipe smokes just great. It is also a p-lip that I keep a rubber cushion on. I also like the chewey cushion on all my pipes because I like to clench a pipe once it is lit and being smoked. I also noted the lack of cake in all the pipes on the rack even though they are well broken in and smoked. My pipes all look the same way. Part of my maintenance process is to carefully maintain a very thin cake to protect the bowl but not to overprotect it. I ream my pipes on an ongoing basis so they all keep a very thin but even cake. I have found that a thick cake tends to break off unevenly when reamed and I think that is more detrimental to a pipe than maintenance of a thin even cake. I only have the one Pete. I find that there are so many great pipes on the market that it is hard, for me anyhow, to limit myself to one brand. I also like to smoke all of my pipes. Once you get past twenty, I think you really have all the pipes you need to have a good rotation and smoke them all. Past twenty to thirty pipes and ten to fifteen tobacco blends the decision of "what to light up" for me anyhow becomes mind boggling so I tend to stick with what I have and what I like. I smoke four to five large bowls a day and I rotate several pipes each day smoking about three bowls in any given pipe before it sits in my "to be cleaned" rack. I then clean them all together when six to nine pipes accumulate. All that said, Petes are great pipes. But so are Jobey's, Dunnies, and a whole host of others. I too, still have the first Kaywoodies I bought as a college student in the late sixties and my problem is only one mouth, so many choices and so little time. Right now I'm smoking a no name large Oom Paul which like a pound puppy is a great pipe even though it is not AKC registered. My pound puppies are some of my best smokers. They love me and I love them very much.