Peterson Sherlock Holmes Pipes???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyFlake

Reaction score
Are there any brothers out there that own and smoke one or more of the Peterson Series Pipes?

If so, which do you have and what are your thought on their smoking qualities and characteristics?

Are they worth the extra expense?

I don't own a Sherlock Holmes edition yet but I've been jones'en for one of the originals, the large 05 shape. Almost pulled the trigger a couple of times but not yet.

Whether they are worth the extra money, I think with Peterson you get good value right up the price chain, whether in better figure on the briar, quality of the silver work, etc. I am sure you pay a little bit more for the special edition markings etc. As to being a better smoker, I don't think this will be a factor, Pete's are all excellent smokers from sub-$100 on up.

Johnny,

Being the tightwad I am, I went the Kinslale route and bought an XL-14, the less expensive version of the Sherlock Holmes Deerslayer model. It's a fine smoker but a little too large for me. If that's the model you were thinking about I'll make a real deal for you. Just send a PM.

Jim

I started with Pete's. No special reason, it just worked out that way. I keep buyin em. Good pipes for the money. They could drill em a little better but what the hell. I'm a gunsmith and a carpenter and if I held a Dunhill in my hand, I'd find fault with it too. Good solid pipes.

I have owned all of the SH's...and the Kinsales as well. They are all great smokers. If you want to save a few bucks buy Kinsales. I found no difference in smoking quality.

I have a Return of SH Lestrade, that is an excellently balanced design for a large full bent. I made the initial mistake of assigning it to aromatics so I encountered considerable gurgling with those wet aros. This was greatly reduced with a change of tobacco category for this pipe. Great briar (takes a bit longer to break in, though!) and it's become a very smooth and comfortable smoker. Unfortunately, it comes only in p-lip, which I don't like, but it's other qualities compensate for that and for the initial gurgling habit.

I have "hudson" and "baker street".
like other peterson are excellent. with their large bowls I like smoking them reading the canon...

I had seven of them. A couple were indifferent smokers. I got rid of all but one - a Watson that is an excellent smoker. They really are just a collection thing. I decided I didn't want to finish the collection after all but focus on collecting Pete POY's. Haven't regretted the decision.

I have a Sherlock Holmes Original with rustic finish; my workhorse. This is my second one after cracking the first.

don't have one at present--it is under consideration-- (consider bank account condition)--

i am sort of eyeballing for an estate Hudson, Lestrade or Watson--Kinsale is not only OK, but likely preferred--(see reference to bank account)

i really think i like the Hudson best, and the Lestrade is a beautiful pipe but since Watson was my favorite character in all the stories i'd feel like a traitor not having one of his namesake pipes in my accumulation of briar--

I've several of the series. My favorite is the straight bulldog shape "baker street". Smoking qualities should be the same in all finishes and grades as others have also posted previously, it's basically just less or no fills and nicer briar and metal adornment in the higher grades. There's a shape and grade for everyones pocketbook. Go with whatever suits you and you won't be disappointed. IMHO they make fantastic pipes, just a great company with many models/shapes and a lot of history behind them.

I have the Mycroft (it's in my avatar); it's one of the favorites in my humble collection. I also have the Baker Street in the Kinsale line, and while not a favorite it is a good smoker. Right now I really want a Moran but have too many other things clamoring for my disposable income (as if I had any!).

I have six Pete's and they are all good smokers. Three are drilled straight at the bottom and the other three are just above bottom. Also I was cursed with one of the dipped stained ones where I had to smoke the stain out of the bowl. They're good IMO I've been eyeballing the Iceberg Starboard shape since they came out.

I own a dozen Peterson pipes, three of which are from the SH series. One of them is from the initial 1987 offering and the other two were purchased in 2002. All my Peterson pipes are very good smokers, but I must say the SH pipes are the best smokers.

Got lucky recently. Attended an auction and managed to grab the entire Sherlock Holmes collection of 7 pipes and the original pipe rack. Hope to get them cleaned up soon and then they will be up for sale. I'll post some photographs when I get them cleaned.

Oystermouth":gk3g1a31 said:
Got lucky recently. Attended an auction and managed to grab the entire Sherlock Holmes collection of 7 pipes and the original pipe rack. Hope to get them cleaned up soon and then they will be up for sale. I'll post some photographs when I get them cleaned.
I'm amazed that you're not going to keep the collection to enjoy.
:shock:

Unfortunately I have a wife who insists on wasting money on non essentials like food and clothing!