Peterson Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a few questions... (What's new?) My questions are;
What Peterson Tobaccos have you tried, and how are they? I can't seem to find reviews on specific blends. I know I'm interested in The Sherlock, and Irish Oak. Can you tell me anything 'bout 'em?
Really any Peterson Blend.

ALSO; Storm front. All I've heard is It's Burley and cigar leaf, and it's great in a cob. Well, Where do I get it? I've got a cob that I haven't even smoked out of just waiting to find it.

Zach

You can get Storm Front on 4noggins.

I haven't tried any of Pete's flakes, but to date my favorite is Peterson's Perfect Plug. I love that stuff. I've tried Sweet Killarney and that stuff destroyed my tongue; no good. Nutty cut has a little bite but some nice flavour. I found Sherlock Holmes to be a bit bland. Old Dublin was fine, but there are better English blends out there.

I haven't had many others. Just remember that you might have a completely different experience from me. I've got a strange palate.

El Zach-o:

Here's your exclusive ticket to JP's Storm Front: http://www.4noggins.com/johnpattonsstormfront.aspx As mentioned, it's a sheer delight in a cob. Quadruple Virginia is my other favorite from JP (in a cob, of course).

As far as Pete 'baccas, all I've liked so far from them has been the Irish Flake, and boy, does that stuff pack a Lady-N wallop. :drunken:

8)

Ocelot55":6dl5td80 said:
...but to date my favorite is Peterson's Perfect Plug. I love that stuff. I've tried Sweet Killarney and that stuff destroyed my tongue; no good.
Perfect Plug is one I'm interested in...and yeah, Sweet Killarney made my tongue raw. :pale: That's why Irish Flake surprised me so much...all I had tried of Pete's 'bacca line was the sweet aros, and that didn't suit me.

8)

Ocelot;
I stick to advice from strange palates, because mine's no different. I've read good things on the perfect plug, but as I've mentioned before I'm real nervous about buying something I don't like.

El Kylito;
Now that I have that ticket, It's just waiting to board from here.

Simple Man;
Do you smoke it out of a cob like everyone else? And that's an awesome avatar! Although I liked the Monk one too!

Zach

GuitarMyFriend":1qdhd5kl said:
Ocelot;
I stick to advice from strange palates, because mine's no different. I've read good things on the perfect plug, but as I've mentioned before I'm real nervous about buying something I don't like.

El Kylito;
Now that I have that ticket, It's just waiting to board from here.

Simple Man;
Do you smoke it out of a cob like everyone else? And that's an awesome avatar! Although I liked the Monk one too!

Zach
Yea, I have a MM Freehand that I like to use for Storm Front. It's really a great combo. The Monk avatar was one I found to put something up really quick. I like it too... but this one is a pic I took. I thought it added a more personal touch.

I do prefer it! What kind of camera is that?
I do want a MM Freehand, but I gotta awesome General that Rob_In_MO sent me.
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":t1odirmo said:
I do prefer it! What kind of camera is that?
I do want a MM Freehand, but I gotta awesome General that Rob_In_MO sent me.
Zach
It's an old Kodak Tourist II camera. It takes 620 film... I still use it occasionally, it takes really great crisp looking pictures.

Peterson blends...

Irish Flake kicks my arse. Frankly I find it long on the nic and short on flavor. YMMY of course.

Irish Whisky is nice enough, but again lady nic is a component. One can taste the whisky though.

University Flake was too fruity for me. More like an aro if you like that sort of thing.

Old Dublin is an OK Lat blend. Unremarkable but solid.

Got some Irish Oak I haven't cracked yet. Plus some perfect plug.

That's my 2c.......

Cheers,

RR

I've tried Peterson's Irish Whiskey, Connoisseur's Choice, and De Luxe Mixture.

The Irish Whiskey I full recommend if you want true tobacco flavor, with only a hint of added flavoring.
The other two are great aromatics, not goopy or sticky, burn very well, and caused no gurgling or moisture buildup in my pipes.

All 3 are highly recommended!

Ive tried sweet kilarney and I dont smoke alot of aros but thought it was ok, something I may smoke every ounce in a wile.Irish flake is probably some of the strongest baccy Ive smoked so far,in fact after dinner last night I smoked a bowl and still felt the N hit pretty hard evan after a meal.Aside from it being strong the taste seems to get better each time I smoke it.

I'd definitely second Rob's suggestion of Connoisseur's Choice - it's probably my favourite blend. I've also smoked Sweet Killarney - which I found sweet but a little bland. I presently mix Sweet Killarney with some Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake which, to my taste, makes it a much better smoke. I found the 3P's plug nice - definitely pleasant, but if I had to recommend one to try it would be Connoisseur's choice.

Good luck choosing!

Regards

Jers

BTW Peterson's Irish Whiskey is high on my list to try!

I've only tried Sherlock Holmes and didn't find much happening there. Not much flavor that I could detect. I ended up giving it away.

femur":np03sxlv said:
I've only tried Sherlock Holmes and didn't find much happening there. Not much flavor that I could detect. I ended up giving it away.
Exciting! I have a free tin of that in my cellar. I can't wait! :lol:

The only one I have tried to date is Old Dublin - but its one of my all time favorites.

Having my first bowl of university flake... I like it! I was afraid that is was going to be too fruity or flavored, because of the tin odor. But it is very very subtle. I still think I like FVF a little better, but I will make this apart of my rotation.

Ocelot55":44cxvvxv said:
You can get Storm Front on 4noggins.

I haven't tried any of Pete's flakes, but to date my favorite is Peterson's Perfect Plug. I love that stuff. I've tried Sweet Killarney and that stuff destroyed my tongue; no good. Nutty cut has a little bite but some nice flavour. I found Sherlock Holmes to be a bit bland. Old Dublin was fine, but there are better English blends out there.

I haven't had many others. Just remember that you might have a completely different experience from me. I've got a strange palate.
I second Sherlock Holmes being a bit unexciting, but by no means bad--tasty enough, I thought, but not one I ran out to stock up on after the tin was empty. Peterson's Perfect Plug, on the other hand, is a beast of legend--it was the first tin of tobacco I ever bought, and truth be told, I don't think I was up for the challenge. Loved the ritual of cutting the plug, mind, and it smelled nice enough, but ye gods, it beat the bejesus out of me, both in terms of bite and Vitamin N...now that I'm a wee bit more weathered, I'd like to give it another shot at some point.