Piet is the one to be Saluted!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
Our South African friend Piet is always giving out salutes to everyone and now he is the one that needs to be saluted!

This week has been a blur for me and in the midst of it, I came home Tueday evening to find a small package with all kinds of South African postage stamps on it. Then I saw Piet's name on the return address label and said to myself this can't be tobacco! All I did was send a brother in need on "The Dark Continent" a little tobacco to tide him over, never expecting anything in return! Well, brother Piet "one uped me" this time! I opened the package and found this gorgeous Olive Wood pipe carved for me by the one and only Piet. Don't ever let Piet shoot you a line of bull about how he is not a pipe carver!!! Because of work and travel I am just now getting around to taking a photo of it for this post.

This is one awesome pipe! It is very reminiscent of a Kaywoodie 13B with outstanding grain and a perfectly hand cut stem, not to mention the sterling silver shank fitiment!

PIET MY BROTHER AND FRIEND, I SALUTE YOU!!!!!

Holy crap Piet, you have been holding out on us man! Most excellent work bud.

That pipe looks round and sleek. I love the lines and the look of the olive wood. Very nice shape indeed. The question for Mark is...........how does it smoke?

Don't listen to JP..... I'm not a carver but into restoration, refirb and repair. After reading up on the South African Explorers and Settlers I found some interesting info on the smoking qualities of Olive wood especially the African variant. I carved two only, I swear. The one I am smoking as an experiment and the other I sent to JP who in all honesty deserves it. He has become one of my good friends and a solid BOBer!

Piet, You should carve one of our annual Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club POY, As a matter of Fact I think I will start lobbying for you to do just that!!Ken

Damn.....Is this what you get in return for giving away Walnut??????????? Proud to know both of you!!!!!! FTRPLT

ftrplt":kiqoon42 said:
Damn.....Is this what you get in return for giving away Walnut??????????? Proud to know both of you!!!!!! FTRPLT
Hey FTPLT, I was waiting for the Walnut Crack!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

JP, here we go again brother!!!! :lol!:

Subject: Re: Piet is the one to be Saluted!

JP, is that with one finger or all five???? :p

All joking aside, Peter Binsbergen is a true talent in many mediums.
You should take a look at some of his artwork. Amazing.............
He is a true "Brother of Briar". His generosity knows no bounds.
I am proud to count him as one of my friends.

PS: Peter, Jean, & "Muddler"
Glad to see another RSA member onboard. Jean du Toit!!!!! Aka Jan Pietenpauw!!!!!
You guys really have some talent down there.
Now, how does Muddler fit into the equation??? He better start cranking out some pipes!!!!
He has to uphold the image of your countrymen, doesn't he?
:lol!:

DoverPipes":ouwd10ba said:
All joking aside, Peter Binsbergen is a true talent in many mediums.
You should take a look at some of his artwork. Amazing.............
He is a true "Brother of Briar". His generosity knows no bounds.
I am proud to count him as one of my friends.
I am also very proud to have struck up a friendship with Piet! And Dover, you are correct! Piet is a very multi-talented individual! I hope you don't mind Piet but I believe the brothers should check out your art work. I have a special connection because of my son's affinity to SA and his awareness of Piet's work. It is just breath taking!

http://www.art.co.za/peterbinsbergen/default.htm

Piet Binsbergen":f6sbjeg3 said:
ftrplt":f6sbjeg3 said:
Hey FTPLT, I was waiting for the Walnut Crack!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

JP, here we go again brother!!!! :lol!:
Oh by the way Fighter Pilot, I have decided that the wonderful pipe that Piet carved for me will be dedicated to WALNUT! :D :D :D

Well Da-yum Peter, you've been hiding your light under a barrel!! :king: That is a gorgrous pipe and outstanding art!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: