Pipe Cleaning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Just taking a break from cleaning 30 or so pipes, how much do you have to do? No more procrastinating!!!Ken :tongue:

I've gotten in the habit of cleaning pipes within 24 hours of smoking them. However, this past weekend I fell a bit behind. I ended up cleaning about 12, plus a couple of the pipes that did not have acrylic stems were buffed and waxed.

:farao:

When I was growing up my dad told me I invented the word "procrastination". :lol: Thanks for reminding me...I've got a few pipes to clean.

Jim

I only have 4 or 5 that need cleaning at the moment, but then again I am sure my collection doesn't even come close to your's Ken :D

Most of the ones I have that need cleaning are actually estates that I picked up a while ago that I just haven't gotten around to sprucing up yet. It seems my wife and I drank what was left of the Bacardi 151 with a bit o' cola the last time I cleaned my pipes, so now I have nothing left to clean them with :lol:

I'm cleaning up three of my pipes tonight for my trip to the mountains this coming weekend. I'm taking a 5-day weekend for the holiday and plan to smoke a bit while I am landing Brook trout and Smallmouth bass on my fly rod.

TallSmoke":5c41me3l said:
I'm cleaning up three of my pipes tonight for my trip to the mountains this coming weekend. I'm taking a 5-day weekend for the holiday and plan to smoke a bit while I am landing Brook trout and Smallmouth bass on my fly rod.

Take some pics for us of the fish and the streams you will be fishing. :D

pipetongue1":90dj51tk said:
Just taking a break from cleaning 30 or so pipes, how much do you have to do? No more procrastinating!!!Ken :tongue:
Ken...... the cursed question,..... being a bit of a pain in the ass when it comes to pipes, I clean pipes every night before I go to bed!! that would be 5 or so,,,,,,, and jip, for me its a drag. Every 3mths (thats how long it takes to get through my rotation at present) the get a good scrub and a buff.
To answer your question, 46 of mine and 14 of Muddler's :shock:

TallSmoke":tnmpluid said:
Tight lines Tall one!!

My smoking database tells me when it's been 75 days since a real stem-removal cleaning. I've two in the hopper this moment.

Buddy

Well, I spent the last couple of weeks thoroughly cleaning the interior and reaming the chamber of about 30 pipes. I estimate about 300 or so Q-tips to get those shanks to my satisfaction.

It was a long winter :lol: and winter begins again in a couple of months :shock:

Now... the outer stem cleaning and pipe wiping. As I am new to using "softie bits", do you remove or replace the softies when cleaning the stems ?

"It was a long winter Laughing and winter begins again in a couple of months Shocked"

Ahhh, you're in the brief, poor sledding season, hey? Don't worry, you'll have a good base again in no time!

Natch

Just emptied a tin of McClelland Club Selection Epitome and before I open up a new tin/jar of whatever VA is next in the lineup (haven't decided yet) started a full, deep cleaning of all seven of my VA dedicated briars today around noon. Been working on it on and off since then (it is now about 10:30 pm). Right now, taking a break to have a nice big bowl of C&D Burley Flake No. 2, some dark roast decaf, and check the posts.

Thought I would share the 10-step deep cleaning regimen as I've been working on it today (and as I normally do every so often, typically when switching blends in my dedicated briars):

1) Drill out the shanks to remove buildup.

2) Lightly ream and sand out the chambers as necessary, going down to at least a 400 grit for a smooth, thin cake.

3) Crisp up the inner rim as necessary with very fine grit sandpaper.

4) Remove any buildup from the rim, and lightly polish same with 800 grit sandpaper. Apply a light stain or oil as needed to match color if rim has lightened from cleaning.

5) Thoroughly clean out the mortise (which is not affected by the shank drilling) with bristle pipe cleaners, a shank brush, and cotton swabs dipped in 99% isopropyl alcohol. This can take a long time.

6) Gently clean the stummel with a damp rag and mild wood soap. Oil if needed and hand buff to a matte finish.

7) Wax and hand buff the stummel; set aside.

8) Thoroughly clean interior of stems with pipe cleaners, and check air flow. Make any adjustments to tenon or slot with drill bits, small knife, or a needle file as necessary (does not happen often, but if I notice problems this is time they will normally be taken care of it).

9) Remove and oxidization from exterior of stems with Wright's Brass Polish, flush thoroughly, dry, and then wax and hand buff to a deep, rich black shine.

10) Unite stem and stummel and place pipe in the rack; said pipe is now ready for its next encounter with whatever (hopefully) lovely blend which will soon be brought out from the cellar.

The above takes a long time, but I normally do not mind doing it. It is kind of a comforting ritual, actually. The end result is always worth it, and it seems to keep my briars visually attractive and in great condition.

Holy Mother McCree! You are my new hero. 10 steps to cleaning a pipe. You're what we call out here on the prairie as a perfectual genious! As soon as you give me your address, my pipes and personal check are in the mail. :lol!:
All kidding aside I thank you for the info. Some things you mentioned I've not even condisered. I'm printing it off as I write this note. I don't think any of my collection has gone sour but then again there's a couple I rarely want to smoke anymore. They'll be first on this list of steps to a better pipe/smoke.

Apprecaite it.

Falconer":57qk5o4l said:
Holy Mother McCree! You are my new hero. 10 steps to cleaning a pipe...
Your mileage may vary. Everyone seems to develop a system which works for them and their particular smoking habits. In my opinion there are general good practices, but there is certainly no 'one size fits all' way to clean a pipe.

The above is a 'deep cleaning' which I do not do too often (maybe every regularly smoked pipe in my rotation will go through it once in a two month period, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on a number of factors).

On a daily basis, it is no more than just wiping down the rim and chamber and running a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank after every smoke or so.

Enjoy!

Slow Puffs":8m85xptd said:
Well, I spent the last couple of weeks thoroughly cleaning the interior and reaming the chamber of about 30 pipes. I estimate about 300 or so Q-tips to get those shanks to my satisfaction.

It was a long winter :lol: and winter begins again in a couple of months :shock:

Now... the outer stem cleaning and pipe wiping. As I am new to using "softie bits", do you remove or replace the softies when cleaning the stems ?
300 Q tips..... no hy does that sound familiar??? :bounce:

The end result of a day's deep cleaning. Seven VA-dedicated briars fresh and ready for their next adventure:

A GBD Century S.L.E. No. 529G Bent Apple and a Peterson Cara No. 65 Bent Billiard with the original short stem:

A George Yale Golden Sovereign No. 558 Lovat (ca. early 1940s), a GBD Esterel No. 326 Dublin, and a well-used Tinsky Naked Coral Author:

A GBD New Standard No. 133 Billiard and a Sasieni 4Dot Natural No. 12 Billiard:

I respect guys that own a collection that is well looked after...... Good on ya KAP!!!!
BOB Salute!!!

Piet Binsbergen":r9ywzvmx said:
I respect guys that own a collection that is well looked after...... Good on ya KAP!!!!
BOB Salute!!!
Last time I asked my dear wife to add a box of cotton swabs to the grocery list, she replied: "what, again!? do you eat Q-tips!?".

My next 'deep cleaning' I think will be on a small group of four pipes which I have dedicated to Virginia-Oriental blends (just finished up smoking a good amount of GLP Cairo in them), although I am once again running low on swabs ....