Pipe corks? Does anyone use them?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspiveyjr

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on these, something in the ashtray to tap your pipe, good or bad?

Bad, bad bad!!!!
I ain't gonna spend my money on a beautiful pipe, then beat it on anything. Just me. I would probably break the stem or something, a lot of people do it I hear.

I agree with PegLegEd. However the cork is better than anything else if you're going to tap it on something to knock out ashes. Personally I just give bowl a light pop against the palm of my hand to empty it out. Or if not all has been smoked and stays in the bottom, I use my pipe tool and shovel it out. That's rare cases though, I usually manage to smoke it down all the way. I've seen some purdy sooty-nasty looking corks in ashtrays.

I loosen up the ashes/dottle with a pipe tool, then knock it all out by holding the pipe above the tray and patting it on the bottom with my hand. Then I usually lightly scrape the inside of the bowl with a pipe tool to get the bits off the wall.

Yes, a cork is nice. Hold the pipe by the shank, not the stem, to tap. Use a tool to loosen ash and dottle. Don't just bang like you are driving nails.

I use a cork and as was said before I hold the pipe by the shank and gently tap. I have had no problems with this method and I keep the cork clean, I cannot stand a dirty cork.

I've used a cork for many, many years and have never had a problem. I've seen people knock their pipes out on many different objects but never gave any thought to someone damaging their pipes on a cork. That's the purpose of the thing. Learn new things everyday.
Never thought about the cork being dirty but it sure is scorched. Never really gave it any thought. I suppose I'll replace it now.
In years past I've had dunderheaded people squash out their cigarettes on my cork. Don't have that problem anymore.

Works great for me. As previously stated, introduce a little common sense and there's nothing to label as "bad" about them.

No but I do use discarded cigar butts that's already in the ashtray.

I use them and like them, unless I am driving. In that case I knock the ashes out on the side of my pickup door.
Stan

I'm not against them, just haven't aquired one, the palm of my hand seems to work just fine for now, and as a snuffer, I've always got a hanky handy, so I'm not too worried about ash.

Now corking my bowl (with a wine cork) when I have to pocket it for any reason is something I do with regularity.

I use the spoon of a Czech (i.e., three-way) pipe tool to remove ashes and dottle for a bowl, or simply blow forcefully through the stem into the yard. No tapping necessary.

Naw, I just tap what´s left into the palm of my hand and swab out the bowl. I have a pipe nail (one of the $.99 jobs) to pick out anything left in there.

Smokntaz":5fhgz06s said:
No but I do use discarded cigar butts that's already in the ashtray.
I did that at club humidor today when I couldn't find a cork.

I use a cork all the time without incident! Cheap way to protect my pipes.

Never needed a cork. It's pretty much like getting ketchup out of a glass bottle, tap it on the ass with your hand and it's all good.