Pipe corks? Does anyone use them?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an ashtray with a cork, but never use it. Since I smoke mainly when driving, I just stick my pipe out the window and let the wind do the job.

steve

I use the "Cork in Palm" method, if you've never heard of it that's probably because I just decided to call it that now lol. Knocking it on my palm always seemed to work fine but I don't care to have ash all over my hand so I bought a cork instead. Well I didn't end up liking the cork either but didn't want it to go to waste. So what I do is take the cork and use it to cover the bowl holding it in place with my thumb. I turn my pipe over again keeping the cork in place and knock the cork on my palm instead of the rim of the bowl. It works the same as the palm method to knock everything loose but keeps the ash in the bowl and not all over my palm. After a couple of knocks I remove the cork and tip the bowl over and all the loosened ash comes out nice and easy. I find that it also helps to keep a thin layer of ash evenly coated on the inside of the bowl.

Nope, never have and never would -- I'm far too 'ham-handed' and absent-minded not to break something sooner or later!

I've never been in the proper company of other pipe smokers. Probably due to my age and whatnot.

Can someone enlighten me as to what a "pipe cork" is? I'm imagining it's some kind of bumper used to clean/ream out the bowl? Isn't that what fingers/palm heels are for? *shrug*

Kyle Weiss":1qogc0ny said:
I've never been in the proper company of other pipe smokers. Probably due to my age and whatnot.

Can someone enlighten me as to what a "pipe cork" is? I'm imagining it's some kind of bumper used to clean/ream out the bowl? Isn't that what fingers/palm heels are for? *shrug*
Yup...pretty much. They look like a champagne cork (hint, hint) and have adhesive on the bottom. You can glue them to the center of a big tray, and just tap your stummel against it to knock the ash/dottle out. Search, and you'll find them under accessories on most pipe selling sites.

deepbass9":ox2fijgx said:
Kyle Weiss":ox2fijgx said:

Yup...pretty much. They look like a champagne cork (hint, hint) and have adhesive on the bottom. You can glue them to the center of a big tray, and just tap your stummel against it to knock the ash/dottle out. Search, and you'll find them under accessories on most pipe selling sites.
...I guess I'm weird, I'll flick the sides of my pipe gently to get the real dusty ash out... I dunno. I just throw my ashes in the potted plants. Keeps the bugs at bay anyway...good ol' nicotine.

I generally stir the remains of tobacco until it is just fine ash and dump into a waste yard container near the patio. Occasionally, I'll tap lightly on the cork in my ashtray. A real light nudge/tap doesn't seem to hurt anything.