Pipe filters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC

Reaction score
Considering a Savinelli Toscana 6mm online. Do people use the filters or not. Can you smoke this pipe without the filter? The only other contact with a filter came with my Cob and I took it out after one bowl.I like this pipe for price, looks and weight.

I've got three Sav-6mm and I use the triangular balsa wood filters in them. Doesn't seem to interrupt the draw and keeps the smoke dry. Run it under hot water after and you can get a couple of uses out of them (OK, so I'm cheap!)

Works for me,

Natch

I'd advise against the adapters. I was told a long time back when I asked the same question that the adapters can capture moisture under them and ruin future smoking experiences. If it is a balsa filter they aren't bad. The best thing to do it smoke it with and without and figure out which you like more.

If you do a search in here for "filters"you will find this topic many times over and you will be able to see answers from the past that may help you decide.

For me, filter pipes are nothing but trouble. I don't like filtering the flavor out of my smoke, and omitting the filter screws with the internal dynamics of how the smoke courses through the pipe, which can create moisture issues. Adapters are mostly pointless and cause cleaning nightmares later.

If you're into filter pipes and using filters, then there's no problem, but if you don't like filtered pipes, get one that isn't drilled for a filter. Cobs are the only pipes I've smoked that accept any kind of filter that do not have draft/moisture problems.

The only way you'll know for sure is to try it out for yourself. :)

8)

great discussion... I have 4 or 5 filter pipes.. smoke them all without filters and don't have a problem with them. as with many things it's a personal preference... but I buy a pipes based upon how much I like them... filter or not... bowl coating or not..

but as Kaiser mentioned.. if you get the filter pipe.. just leave the adapter out...its a waste of effort (again opinion)

I bought a large calabash briar pipe last year (Ardor) and removed the adapter that was glued in...smokes like a charm with it out.

james

A Tinder Box regular here in Reno gave me three pipes recently, one is a snappy Rattray's brand bulldog...it's a 9mm filter. It's such a nice pipe, I'm gonna give it a chance, but skepticism will be running high the day I man-up and try it. :lol:

The way someone smokes is what I believe either makes a filterless filter pipe smoke well or not well. I obviously do something that causes the flow of smoke to drop all of its moisture in condensation somewhere in the open area, and it all dumps into the bowl, causing a sizzling, swampy mess. No bueno.

8)

Agreed... let me know how it smokes.. Rattray's should smoke like a charm.. I'm a slow draw kind of smoker.... so it kinda off sets the airflow issue some have.. I've tried the filters, but just don't like them.. too constricting for me also..

james

I have a Savinelli tundra that came with a filter and adapter. Tried the filter, did not like it. Especially when I forgot it was in there and tried to run a pipe cleaner through it! Took the filter out put in adapter, so far it's one of my best smokers.

I certainly will let you know. The guy gave me two Rattray's pipes, one is a hand-cut "cobra" style (very different, I kinda like it) but doesn't have the 9mm filter.

Smoking slow is only part of the equation. I would bet dollars to donuts I probably smoke even slower than you do--I mean, I really smoke slowly. :lol: The problem I think is length of draw, which is an infrequently-discussed phenomenon. One can smoke slow, and take pretty steady, slow draws, or smoke slow and take tiny "sips." I prefer the flavor of taking the gentlest of "trickling" draws, filling my mouth with smoke, and letting most of it roll out my nose. Almost like meditative breathing, but with a pipe in my mouth (and obviously, not inhaling). It's tough to describe, but I have often wondered if this give moisture more a chance to go where it doesn't belong.

Who knows? If I don't like the Rattray's "Old Gowrie 6" 9mm pipe, I'll likely give it away to a Brother. :D

8)

Bought a Tsuge Bent Bulldog with no filter, so not an issue any more. In a few days i'll let you know how it smokes

About half of my pipes are filter pipes 6 & 9 mm (even one oddball Cellini that takes two 6mm balsa filters stacked to fit properly). I've always prefered the Savinelli filters in all of them (tip of triangle down) and like how they smoke. Myself i've found that i dislike the way a pipe smokes with aluminum stingers & such until they are removed and like James i purchase pipes by how i like the shape, grain & eye appeal to my tastes and could care less if they have or don't have a filter. I'd say try them all big fat & small and make your own decision's from there. That's half the fun of pipe smoking, all the different variables. Myself i'm just learning that there are English blends that i do enjoy. When i read rave reviews of some popular tobacco's and try them i think how in the world can people possibly enjoy such strong tobacco's but everyone's body chemistry & tastes are different so everyone must find there own niche. Enjoy the search/journey.

MC":gd157zni said:
Bought a Tsuge Bent Bulldog with no filter, so not an issue any more. In a few days i'll let you know how it smokes
Guess it's a moot point now :twisted: Too bad as that Sav probably would of been a GOOD smoker either w/wo filter as you can smoke 'em either way no prob :twisted:

I have a number of filter pipes. I don't like the filters and adaptors, so I don't use them. Tobacco taste the same form these pipes than any ordinary pipe. But, to each his/her own. I will never tell anyone to avoid filtered pipes.

One reason some pipe smokers enjoy owning pipes crafted with bamboo shanks, is because the bamboo absorbs excess moisture. If you can wrap your head around that concept, you can easily see why some filter pipes do a great job of keeping gurgling and tongue bite to a minimum.

I have a Riccardo Santia Ultimate Corn Cob pipe that is probably the dryest smoking pipe I own. I have never had to run a pipe cleaner thru that pipe while smoking it. I am very impressed with the bamboo design.

As for filtered pipes, I believe the Savinelli balsa filter system is superior to other styles, ymmv.

As promised: took out that Rattray's 9mm bully pipe tonight...

...it did pretty good, all things considered! I admit about halfway through I popped off the stem and upended the pipe to see what would drip out, and one tiny drop plopped in the ashtray. *shrug* The briar is pretty sweet-tasting, so might give it a go a bit more and see if it continues to smoke okay. Before I took it out for the first spin, I did notice the draft hole is drilled particularly high in regard to the "well," so that gave it an advantage.

Hey, if I can get a 1 in 1000 chance of a respectable carver to make a pipe that smokes like a joke I suppose I can find the rare filterless filter pipe that smokes alright.

It all balances out in the end, methinks.

8)