Pipe racks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
$140.00 on sale? (smirk)

I took a 1x3 piece of oak, drilled 3/4 inch holes about 2 1/2 inches on centre and eased the edges. It rests on a set of those slotted rails you put the shelf holders in. I can put pipes between the wall and the shelf, and in the holes. Total cost about 7 bucks. Works great..

If you're even halfways handy, a pipe rack is a great quick project to DIY. I've built several for myself over the years.

For those with 2 left thumbs, I recommend scanning the thrift shops - I've picked up about 6 pipe racks of various sizes for less than $5 each this way.

I would advise caution in using paint. Over time the rubbing of the pipes over the paint can cause transfer. Paint is a real pain in the butt to get off your pipes without damaging the finish. If you really want a white rack you might look into MDF that is covered in melamine. Not sure how you'd make the recess for the pipe bowls though. I suppose white paint would be ok if you use a clear coat over it. Make darned sure the paint is dry before trying to clear coat over it.

Jim

huffelpuff":4dvpipgz said:
I would advise caution in using paint. Over time the rubbing of the pipes over the paint can cause transfer. Paint is a real pain in the butt to get off your pipes without damaging the finish. If you really want a white rack you might look into MDF that is covered in melamine. Not sure how you'd make the recess for the pipe bowls though. I suppose white paint would be ok if you use a clear coat over it. Make darned sure the paint is dry before trying to clear coat over it.

Jim

Good point, Jim. Right now it's too darn cold in the garage to work out there, even with the propane heater going.

Here's one I just built pretty quickly with no particular precision work, just lots of drilling 
IMG_7798.jpg

Ozark Wizard":ogtcahl8 said:
$140.00 on sale? (smirk)
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but Smoking Pipes, to me, is the rich man's store where you only buy when it goes on a big sale. Some of the prices are nuts. Like the coopersark of ebay.

Soft wood, a pencil, a coping saw, some glue, some sandpaper, and some stain.