Pipe retort

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gasface

Reaction score
Im looking to purchase one but I cant seem to find anywhere online that sells then.
Does anyone know of a site that offers them?

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of a "pipe retort". I've no idea what it is.

I have some available for sale.
please contact me

dsc08811.jpg

Eulenburg":sfzakivv said:
I'm sorry, but I've never heard of a "pipe retort". I've no idea what it is.
This is an easy sustem to clean the inside of a heavilly used pipe.
You place alcohol in the tube, and stuff some cotton inside the bowl.
Then you place the tube on a low fire( i use a candle, other people use alcohol lambs)
The alcohol inside the tube gets hot and steam starts flowing in the pipe.
Eventually the alcohol boils and liquid alcohol flows inside the pipe and cleans everything.
In about 10 minutes of use you have a perfecty clean pipe.
If you tried to do this the traditional way (alcohol and pipe cleaners) you would need about 2 hours and more than 60 pipe cleaners. Plus you would not get rid of the goasts this way.
It is a nice idea (not mine) that saves you time and effort. I suggest to use it in an old pipe you dont like too much for start, because it will take some time to learn in which angle should the pipe be, and how hot must the alcohol be.

I refurb a dozen or so pipes each year, I've been meaning to get one for my shop. Are you in Athens, as in Greece or Georgia (USA)?

I'm sorry, but the Chemical Engineer in me is squirming.

Please, please use a hot plate instead of an open flame!

Alcohol is a flammable solvent and when you heat it up and boil it you are creating flammable vapors in the air.

If the vapors mix with the air just right and then come into contact with the flame you may get a flash fire in your face. :affraid:

OK, I'm done...

Todd

This system really works with great results!
I do not know about chemistry but I never had any accident with that!
Also is good for the "gost" smells.

Retorts are safe to use with an open flame, just follow instructions and use normal care...

gandalfpc":7opg35l2 said:
Retorts are safe to use with an open flame, just follow instructions and use normal care...
and safety glasses.....

Wow. I had never heard of this. I have an estate Falcon that is beyond gummed up. Thanks for the info.

While open flame and vaporized alcohol is a bit dangerous, you're dealing with a half ounce if that. Use caution to not have the two mix (flame and alcohol), I've never had an issue.

Of course I've also made flamethrowers out of propane tanks. 70 of them. (for legit pyrotechnics purpose) so I'm no stranger to fire.

--Alex

Also, keep the alcohol off the outside of the bowl - use that cotton ball effectively!

anyone make one of these themselves? If so, what size test tube did you use? And dimensions of the test tube as to match the stopper? Should be able to make one of these things for a couple bucks.