Pipe shapes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konrad_von_Marburg

Reaction score
Hi all

Can someone point me to a webpage that discusses the difference in pipe shapes? I'm curious to learn more about them. When I go to look at new pipes for sale I read things like "billiard" and "apple" and I just want to learn more. :)

By the way if anyone finds a Nording Burgundy Oversize for sale somewhere lemme know. I always wanted one. :p

Smokingpipes.com has 2 Nording Burgundy pipes for sale right now.

Jim

Search “Pipe Shape Charts.” You’ll find more info than you can shake a stick of briar at. Each manufacturer has its own chart, but the basic shapes are recognizable across manufacturers. You can have chunky billiards or svelte billiards, but they’ll all be recognizable as billiards. Sometimes you’ll see a pipe that is a mix of classic features. I have a sweet smoking Aldo Velani that combines a tall billiard bowl with a diamond shank that is the length of a Canadian. Size is another variable across styles and manufacturers. Part of the appeal of artisan pipes is they move away from classic shapes. Bear in mind that the classic shapes evolved, because carvers believed the variations conferred some benefit to the smoker. I wouldn’t say that’s so wth artisan pipes, which might be carved with an eye to branding ... or self expression ... or mastering a new and popular shape ...