Pipe Tobacco for Cigarette Smokers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an ex-cigarette smoker. I quit cold turkey and the 30 days following my quit date were hellish. Honestly, I am not sure pipe smoking will make this process any easier. There is a potential that pipe smoking would make the quitting process even worse, if you started to inhale the pipe smoke for nicotine. No point in quitting cigs to maintain your addiction with pipe smoke. Sadly, I believe the pain of withdrawal helps you quit cigs permanently. There is a very bright side. It is possible to enjoy pipe smoking without addiction and rarely ever think about smoking a cigarette. At times, I go 2-4 days without smoking a pipe with no negative effects at all.
Why do I take these breaks?
Honestly, I have no idea. It just happens.
Learning to not inhale pipe smoke can be difficult for cigarette smokers. However, if you want to give it a try, I would recommend Solani Silver Flake.
I hope this helps and good luck in quitting cigs.

Bill

billmess":2iw3p5bj said:
It is possible to enjoy pipe smoking without addiction and rarely ever think about smoking a cigarette. At times, I go 2-4 days without smoking a pipe with no negative effects at all.
Why do I take these breaks?
Honestly, I have no idea. It just happens.
I agree...I've smoked the pipe regularly for about 3 years, and in that time I've never felt a compulsion to smoke. There are weeks where I'll light up as many as 20 bowls, but then there are other weeks where I just get tied up with other things, don't have time to stop and smell the roses, and don't even think to put a single flame to a bowl of baccy.

One more time : the root issue with cigarettes is not Vitamin N. If it were, quitting cigarettes would be easy by switching to pipes. Or cigars. Or chewing/dipping. Or patches. But, for many people, it isn't.

There's a beast inside many of us which is not appeased by anything but a cigarette, even at nicotine-toxicity levels.

Until and unless this is acknowledged, "stop smoking effortlessly" programs are going to continue to be the 21st Century's huckster-promoted patent medicine shows. Because they are operating on the basis of an invalid assumption.

:face:

There are two types of addition, physical and psychological. As to which is a more significant factor...my guess is that this varies from person to person.

Psychological addiction will likely be more of an issue with those who suffer from some degree of OCD, or addictive patterns are simply present in their genes. In this case, such folks may also have issues with other environmental stimuli that affect ones own internal chemicals without introducing new ones. I.E. gambling, pot, sex, etc

Physical addiction is the result of the introduction of external chemicals (nicotine in the case of smokers) that causes addiction which, in addition to craving the drug, also makes one feel ill when it isn't present.

While I suppose it's possible that some people are more suseptible to the psychological end of things, I'm unconvinced it's true with most people.

As an example, I've known quite a number of pot smokers from my younger years. Pot, while it is an external chemical, is not physically addicting. It is possible to become psychologically addicted however. Almost all of the pot smokers I knew were recreational, and even the "potheads" I knew could stop without ill effects at length if necessary.

By contrast, any heavy smokers I've seen who tried to cold turkey cigarettes...yea that's not happening without a host of negative effects. That's the nicotine.

I have New York State to thank for quitting cigarettes. They taxed them so high I decided that a pack a day habit equaled a new car payment. So now I'm able to say that I'm an ex cig smoker, usally with a pipe or cigar in my mouth.

Is it wrong to admit I like the Nicotine??

That's the nicotine
In your head, maybe. In reality (reference preceding post), no. If it were, supplying nicotine would eliminate the craving.

It doesn't.

:evil:

:face:

The last time a conversation like this popped up, I ended up in a lot of trouble with a seasoned member, who took it personally and is still sore at me. :roll:

I have boiled down addiction to be a very individual thing, with some chemical hooks, mental issues and bad habits that all intermingle and can sometimes make "the perfect addict." Someone dependent, in denial, destructive and hopeless. Not all are like this, and not all people who do something habitually are addicts.

There's an amount of agreement that goes with addiction. There is nothing really stopping someone from breaking an addiction besides willpower, and that takes a varying degree of help.

Like Yak says (and is suggesting), in the case of nicotine, it would eliminate [a] craving. It doesn't. There's an experience involved, and chemical is a lean part of the formula. If you really like the experience, no matter how helpful, unhelpful, destructive or positive, you're not likely going to stop. This can be an addict, or someone who has made a conscious choice.

8)

Kyle Weiss":bk4m4d8l said:
The last time a conversation like this popped up, I ended up in a lot of trouble with a seasoned member, who took it personally and is still sore at me. :roll:
- always stir the pot

- be skeptical of all opinions

- never trust the opinion anyone with passionate and uncompromising views

- make sure if there are two sides to an issue, that both sides are pissed at you

This is my modus operandi. :lol:

I suggest you a strong and alkaline blend as the ones that the other brothers already did.The other point is how. At the begining,try to smoke for the time it takes to smoke a cigarette and then relit everytime you feel the urge for one.Let's say that you can substitute 5 cigarettes for 5 pipe lits.Eventually,you will "get used" to smoke the pipe only.Try it,it has worked for several friends.

Insofar as nicotine is concerned, I think it's both but primarily psychological. There are no real physical symptoms of withdrawal from nicotine, but your head will tell definitely you otherwise. Narcotic withdrawal, however, is very physical. The saying "kicking the habit" comes from the shaking and convulsing patients experience during heroin withdrawal. Not to mention the vomiting. :shock: With alcohol there's the shakes, the DT's and a whole host of fun stuff. Absolutely nothing like that happens when you quit nicotine though. Withdrawal takes more the form of " Hmmm, I just don't feel right.... oh yeah, I haven't smoked!! Ah-ha..... but I gotta quit though, it's bad for me. But... no... well...maybe...NOOO."

I tend to agree with Yak that replacing nicotine with pipes doesn't always cure the craving for cigarettes either. If it were simply about getting the nicotine, patches, gum, lozenges, and vaping would have a 100% success rate. IMO pipes are far more enjoyable, but not "less bad" for you. It's really just shifting one set of risks for another. Cross-addicting, they say.

I do believe there are some who really are just recreational tobacco users. For them, there is no craving, just a little "taste" now and then should the idea occur. It's not a part of their conscious routine. The addict, however, knows craving and his consciousness is linked to fulfilling that need- to the point that it is in his subconscous. It's a condition of the mind. The "substance" doesn't really matter because it's only a symptom of the root cause.

FWIW.

I might have posted this already....My memory has deteriorated significantly since giving up tobacco..

Nicotine IS an Adult ADD self medication.

It may be obvious to you guys but.. I haven't worked out the correct dosage yet, getting closer though..
I suffer from insane mood swings, irratability, insomnia (ok, I've always been an insomniac), memory loss. and a few others..

As far as physical symptoms when quiting... Constipation, zips.. everywhere zits.. the two weeks quit flu.. and a whole host of others. Nicotine IS both physically and phsycologically adictive.