Pipe Tobacco For Walking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemelon

Reaction score
I've noticed that when I take a pipe out for a walk that my smokes tend to be less than fantastic and some get downright harsh quickly, even on brief walks (such as going to get the mail). This is less the case with aromatics and even less with cigars (which I tend to default to if I want to smoke while walking around). Like tobacco and DGT where some are more agreeable than others, I'm sure there are pipe tobaccos out there that hold up well on a stroll.

I'd like to know what tobaccos y'all smoke while walking that don't seem to suffer? I post the question even to those of you whose lunting doesn't come at this cost.

A cursory search didn't bring up any threads dedicated to this topic, so I figured if anything this might make a good repository for stroll-friendly tobak.

Ha! It's a good sentiment, but where does it leave Middleton's Apple?  :p 

joemelon":l8di0vkc said:
Ha! It's a good sentiment, but where does it leave Middleton's Apple?  :p 
Maybe that would work!
I have tried walking and smoking and have to agree with Sam. There is something about walking that throws my smoking cadence off. Maybe if I could walk and chew gum at the same time... :lol: 

Personally, the only tobacco I can smoke and enjoy when engaged in mild physical activity are the old "drugstore" blends.  They seem so mild and pack and burn so easily.

grange10.jpg
" />

Not a multitask-er either, Either I smoke or I walk and walking aint one of my strong points nowadays. Can't even smoke a pipe while working at the bench, it just doesn't work nor has it ever.

+1 on the Granger

One of the best smokes I have ever had was a bowl of Old Companion in an Amphora bent bulldog while shovelling snow. You are not looking for complexity or nuance.

I like Altadis Blue Note while walking if I want an aro or Iwan Reis International if I want something closer to an "English" or crossover mixture.

Richard and Fr Tom - I can see the old drugstore blends working for a walking smoke, will have to try that with the two I have on hand. I'll have to put Old Companion on my list, too, if it's like the drugstore blends sans topping. Complexity definitely isn't something I'm looking for, just something that doesn't turn harsh tasting while on a stroll.

Flyguy and Cartaphilus - I get not joining the two activities if the combination makes it more difficult and/or less enjoyable. I've been taking cigars out on the last few walks since they don't seem to have the same problem and no need to worry about getting too hot or relighting them.

William - Aromatics do seem to work great for the purpose. Can't recall any past experiences walking and smoking with English blends. Though (like aromatics), not my standard fare, I'll have to give it a try.

Thank y'all for the input!

I'm with the group that lacks whatever it is that enables some to smoke a pipe and simultaneously do something else. Many, many moons ago, when it was permitted, I used to smoke my pipe at work. Looking back, it only encouraged vehement puffing. I mastered the breathing technique only after my pipe became a separate pleasure.

On smoking while walking -- This is the closest I come to multitasking. I agree with the rec of drugstore blends for their amiability and willingness to maintain a smolder. Lane's RLP-6 might do for a bulk. Peter Stokkebye offers some nice (and affordable) Virginias that burn willingly. I think My Mixture 965, allowed some time to dry, is hard to discourage.

For better or worse, I've gotten into the habit, when surveying a landscape, of identifying nice spots to enjoy a smoke. My town, for example, sometimes places benches overlooking pleasant vistas. I consider it a nice stroll to carry my piping paraphrenalia to such a spot and, once situated, fire 'er up. I'm not sure if others consider this smoking while walking. Walking to smoke, perhaps.

flyguy":4jboce0w said:
Hey-Hey!  Read my signature...

I would argue; cigars are for walking.   ;)

Hermit wrote:
"I would argue; cigars are for walking."

I would tend to agree.  However, there are no mention of cigars existing in the Shire.

I agree on the OTC burleys for walking but then I pretty much prefer them most of the time anyway! I walk everyday like it or not. SWR to me holds up the best of what I regularly keep on hand. Now if I'm not on a deadline for when I need to be somewhere and I can stretch out my pace I'm ok with anything I've got handy.

You hit on my experience, no matter what's in the bowl.  I've puffed away while walking in the woods or down a street, paddling a canoe, riding the lawnmower, and a thousand other activities, and with one exception, I've never found it to be as flavorful and enjoyable as when I'm sitting, contemplating the world.  I remember long ago on JR's cigar board some friends would question what they smoked when doing lawn chores or working in other ways, and what ever puro they recommended had half the taste it had when I just sat and stopped moving.  Other than a good drink and (occasionally) good conversation with a friend, smoking to me is almost a form of meditation.

The only exception I've found is paddling my canoe on a calm stretch, and really, I'm not "paddling" but drifting, just sitting there relaxing and watching the world go by, except in a situation where the world is really going by! :)  I'll always carry pipe and tobacco when I'm backpacking and hiking, but bringing it out to enjoy is for the rest stops, that special overlook or that memorable sunset that just needs to be absorbed before its gone.

Natch

I smoke a pipe while golfing, and it's not nearly as enjoyable as sitting back and relaxing. It seams to resemble smoking a pipe on a windy day, I get the same effect. So I think your looking at a combination at breathing harder without noticing it and a good breeze blowing over your bowl. Also I noticed that the bowel doesn't last nearly as long. But you know what, I keep doing it. I pick out the mildest tobacco I have and do it any ways.

I'll be the voice of dissent: I smoke whatever I usually like, and notice no side effects. Maybe it's because I stroll more casually when I smoke. It's no fun if it's windy, but that ruins a pipe if you're just sitting, too.

Wind caps help a little. But my pipe still burns like an acetylene torch outside.

Not very enjoyable anyway since there's not enough nearby smoke to activate our olfactory system.