Pipe tool recomendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blr1911":adzmb3ai said:
tiltjlp":adzmb3ai said:
Why would you not want to use a Czech tool, which is probably the best pipe tool there is, and for a mere $2.00. Spend your money on more tobacco.
My cellar has grown to about 80lbs now.

I want a pipe knife that will do well with a suit, at a function. The Czech tool is nice around my farm, but a little tacky in some instances.

To toss that question back at you, why use a $2.00 tool and a $600+ pipe?

Smoker99 - where'd you get that???
Well, I mostly smoke cobs, since I could never afford a $600 pipe. But now I see your point.

The Forge Laguiole is a beautiful object indeed and i think is the best choice, if you are looking for a huge step up.
I personally am partial to the czech tool and, specially if i am at a function, a wooden golf tee is the best choice for me, so i will not be afraid to loose it if i will get drunk. :D

I like tampers that are small and unscrew to reveal a handy pick. There are many to choose from, from $5 for an acrylic Tsuge all the way to $100 for a Dunhill. I've tried other types and keep coming back to these.

b3cde4a342842d056bde4ae396eda617_medium.jpg

+1 for pipe nails, which are cheap (gasp!) but are perfectly and succinctly designed for the purpose, plus you can buy half a dozen and not worry about losing one. The more expensive pipe tools are cleverly designed -- maybe too cleverly -- but tend to add unneeded weight in the process and end up looking as if they were meant for an emergency tracheotomy. I also have several czech tools and find they do nicely as a kind of worry bead -- i.e., I can hold the tool by the probe and absent mindedly (and unobtrusively) spin the "spoon" and tamper. This would probably come in handy if I were forced to attend a Gathering of Secret Judgers such as you describe. Just one grumpmeister's .02.

Bullwinkle":sg1hx037 said:
this one is a step or two up and carries very nicely. slim and the blade is long enough for my pokers and deep cobs. plus it won't break the bank.

th
I have that tool, but use my Brebbia pipe nail 99% of the time. The thing I don't like about this tool (or any fold-out tool) is they tend to drag ashes. So, if you use this in a suit, you could be wearing ash pretty quickly. That doesn't scream "class-act" at a social gathering.....

Mine, made by Richards Sheffield.

blr1911":yg4vyz6k said:
tiltjlp":yg4vyz6k said:
Why would you not want to use a Czech tool, which is probably the best pipe tool there is, and for a mere $2.00. Spend your money on more tobacco.
My cellar has grown to about 80lbs now.

I want a pipe knife that will do well with a suit, at a function. The Czech tool is nice around my farm, but a little tacky in some instances.

To toss that question back at you, why use a $2.00 tool and a $600+ pipe?

Smoker99 - where'd you get that???
Don't remember where I got it, sorry. Some online knife site. I agree, a Laguiole is not necessary, but similar to buying any car other than a Yugo. Why buy a Chevy, Ford, BMW, or Mercedes when the Yugo will do?

derrickyoung":184lz22o said:
I am partial to this style.
I can recommend this one too if you don't need a knife. I own one as well as a Rogers Smokers' Knife and a Laguiole. They're all very good but the Dunhill is small, pocketable without smearing ash everywhere, and very nice quality. I use the Dunhill all the time and I have the same one pictured. I think it was about $80.

The Laguiole is a beautiful product but the knife has a very strong spring on it and it scares the hell out of me sometimes. Unless you need to slice up plug tobacco a lot I don't think the knife is necessary for a pipe tool and I wouldn't use a knife to ream my pipes.

I haven't had a suit on since my next to last day at work just over 3 years ago. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've even had socks on. Now, chino's are worn when proper attire is required so the thought doesn't cross my mind anymore about a suit. I haven't noticed a problem of ashes on my daily wear but I'm a light tamper

>>>I agree, a Laguiole is not necessary, but similar to buying any car other than a Yugo. Why buy a Chevy, Ford, BMW, or Mercedes when the Yugo will do?<<<

That is a pertinent question, and a value consumer would respond that the tool that strikes the balance point between function and cost is the sensible choice. Yes, you can buy a car simply on the question of intitial cost. But will it do for a family vacation? A long trip alone? How is it on dafety? In a storm? Hauling stuff from Home Depot? Value retention? etcetc. The value consumer does not disregard aesthetics totally, but does weigh cost/benefit. Just my .02.

P.S. Why, yes, I have splurged on items in which the total cost is readily absorbed over a few months. I do have a fancy pipe tool, but believe it offers no better utility than the humble nail. (Gift) I would not be tempted by a Bentley unless it came with the Reese Witherspoon option in the back seat :D

I don't consider smoking my pipe in formal settings to be tacky at all. Nor is smoking a cigar. Or drinking bourbon.

The Laguiole is the right direction.

I own one of the sheffield's knifes and can't stand how small the tamper is width wise. So then I bought the brigham red knife
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=93241
The wood part annoyed the crap out of me because it was wider then the tamper so I was tamping at a funny angle. So then much later I bought an IM Corona Old Boy and the little tamper on that is all I use now, and I couldn't be happier, plus it's classy and awesome and will stand the test of time.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=2886

The Brebbia pipe nail is my go to tool for ember manipulation. Tamp gently.

I have quite a few lighters with a tamp/spoon/pick in them that look pretty good. But I find the cheap pipe nail is what I always turn to when I'm at home, just works so much better and easier.

For out and about? Lighters with tools in them work for me.