Pipes and Cigars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
I used to put up a strong argument for the awesomeness of cigars, but lately I'm discovering I don't enjoy them as much. I find I'd much rather be smoking my pipe. I just got back from a local B&M where I "enjoyed" a Rocky Patel Edge Habano. I typically really like sitting in a good B&M and working on my laptop, while I smoke a freshly picked out cigar.

Today, I couldn't get past wishing I had my pipe. This place is new in town and doesn't do pipes....yet. I'm going to do my best to fix that ;)

I'm sure everyone is different, seeing that we all have different taste buds....but, have pipes diminished your interest in cigars?

Yes!

I still like cigars, but now I have an itch that only pipes can scratch. I've also noticed my taste in cigars has started to change. I used to smoke just about anything, but now I find myself being drawn toward Maduro and Habano wrappers a lot more. The others just don't have any depth in flavour.

Ocelot55":3gq513jl said:
Yes!

I still like cigars, but now I have an itch that only pipes can scratch. I've also noticed my taste in cigars has started to change. I used to smoke just about anything, but now I find myself being drawn toward Maduro and Habano wrappers a lot more. The others just don't have any depth in flavour.
Yep, that's what it was. I was thinking it just didn't have much taste, or depth as you said.

I've always enjoyed both, each for different reasons, but the way cigar pricing has gone over the last few decades I've gone off 'em almost completely. I still occasionally will get an Excaliber or La Gloria Habano carona but hell, for the price of one each of thouse, I could buy a couple of 50g tins of some good Va and get FAR more smokes for my money! :twisted:

I have been an avid cigar guy for some time but after giving pipes a try I am picking up the pipe rather than a cigar. I think its been a couple months since I had a cigar.

My step son was smoking a Torpedo and I picked up the cap that he cut off (a bit more than I would have cut) rubbed it out and stuffed it in my pipe.

I still love cigars but find that pipes have something more to offer, maybe its the whole proccess of choosing, filling, tamping, re-lights, cleaning or even being able to enjoy leftovers without a bad taste.

I've always been more of a pipe guy than a cigar guy. Part of it is the cost of cigar smoking versus pipes. The other is I just like pipes more.

I remember having a conversation with a friend at the local cigar shop when I first started smoking a pipe. I stated that I enjoyed the pipe, but that it would never take the place of a good cigar.

I have since had to eat those words. Now it seems it can take almost a year before I smoke enough cigars to open enough room in my cabinet humidor for a new box. :fpalm:

I was a cigar smoker for about thirty years
when I discovered pipes five years ago.
I still smoke cigars, but only when a pipe is inconvenient.

I enjoy both, but the cigar only occasionally as I can't countenance spending so much money on a cigar for just one smoke.

i switched over from cigars for the cost but after a short time pipe became my preference

I'm dabbling in the world of cigars, and the interest has increased, much to the dismay of my wallet.

There's a time for cigar, and a time for a pipe. I prefer socializing with a cigar far more than with a pipe, under typical circumstances, especially if the folks are also smoking cigars. By the same token, I almost never get the same satisfaction with a cigar when I'm sitting alone at home, thoughtfully and quietly. Pipes almost beg for direct, unhindered concentration.

Speaking socially, outside a friendly environment like a B&M, it seems almost everyone understand the colloquial difference between the two, even non-smokers: a lone cigar smoker in a crowd is a maverick, an intrusive jerk; a gaggle of pipe smokers is a laughable frat of prop-wielding, geeky "intellectuals." Reverse the situation, and it's accepted as "just the way it is." Kind of weird, but just something I notice being a part of any of those scenarios once in a while. Maybe there's something to it.

Just different kung fu, same China. I just like good tobacco, and pick up a pipe 85% of the time, no matter what.

Pipe = no cigar mouth for days afterward.

A really dense, flavorfully rich maduro has had no equivalent in pipe tobacco ever since Sobranie House closed. :no: :cry:

But pipes (group 3-4 size) don't overstay their welcomes, and offer a world of subtleties that don't wear you out.

And the cost makes it a no-brainer.

:face:

Absolutely! I used to average about 10 cigars a week until about a year ago when I tried my first pipe. Now if I smoke 1 to 2 cigars a week its alot.

The depth and variety of flavors in pipe tobacco are something that I never experienced with a cigar. There is also, as others have stated, the economic factor, much easier on my wallet.

Now a pipe is always my first choice.

alfredo_buscatti":4y3qn3ts said:
I enjoy both, but the cigar only occasionally as I can't countenance spending so much money on a cigar for just one smoke.
Ditto for me. I think many of our Brothers (and perhaps sisters?) migrated from primarily or exclusively cigars to pipes. I also think most of us still enjoy cigars, at variable levels of personal frequency. I find that if I have a cigar once a month or so I enjoy it more than if I smoke three in a week.

Natch

I love cigars, I always have and I probably always will. That said though, the sheer variety of experiences one can have smoking a pipe, the staggering number of excellent quality tobaccos available, and the variety of quality instruments to smoke these tobaccos with, makes pipe smoking a much more interesting pursuit. Pipe smoking is challenging but incredibly rewarding and IMHO, more so than a good stogie.

I came for the savings, but I think I'm staying for the love of it. I love cigars, but the pipe is more versatile in that I can choose exactly how long I'll smoke without being disappointed and feeling like I've wasted money. The flavors are awesome too. Latakia & Perique! Aint nothin' like it!

A friend of mine Bill, I think summed it up perfectly for me... Cigarettes to irritate, Cigars to celebrate, and Pipes to Contemplate.

A friend of mine Bill, I think summed it up perfectly for me... Cigarettes to irritate, Cigars to celebrate, and Pipes to Contemplate.

I like that a lot. I gave up pipe smoking and all smoking about 20 years ago. When I hit 60 I figure I could modestly indulge myself. Unfortunately I gave up my pipes so I went to cigars. The first cigar I smoked was a Montecristo I bought in Canada, it was Cuban. As I smoked it I thought to myself, "I know I didn't have very many Cubans twenty years ago, like none. But this doesn't taste that great, especially after spending $25 for it." Back in this country I went to a couple of good cigar stores and followed their recommendations. Alec Bradley is quite good, Patron, etc. Then around Christmas I was looking for something on a cluttered shelf in my office and lo and behold I found two of my old pipes! A Peterson block meerschaum and a Dunhill. Couple with my son coming over and saying, "Hey, I really enjoy smoking your old GBD Rockroot." Well now, I'm enjoying pipes again. Like riding a bike, you don't forget all the fussing to smoke a bowl.

Oh, the pipe on my avatar belonged to my grandfather. He received it as a gift about 1920.

i got into pipes because the only cigars i really enjoyed were too big and powerful, and expensive. i'd spend $15-$20 on a cigar and smoke maybe half of it before feeling overwhelmed. so i got into pipes. i might have a cigar soon just to see how i feel about them these days...