Pipes that whistles when I blow in it

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
Does it mean the drilling is off center? Or that the draft hole/air hole is not at the very bottom of the bowl?

Isagar":3tn1jihe said:
Does it mean the drilling is off center? Or that the draft hole/air hole is not at the very bottom of the bowl?
How does it smoke? Is it a new pipe or an estate? How long have you had it and has it done this all the time? Need more info as lot's a pipes can whistle. If it smokes to your liking, and you like it's looks, what does it matter? Just enjoy it. OCD cand get in the way of pipe enjoyment :twisted:

If it whistles when you blow into it that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Now if it whistles when you draw through it at normal smoking rate that is an indication that there is some turbulence in the airstream. This means the pipe is more likely to condense moisture during smoking.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally drop your Oscar Meyer Wiener Whistle in the stem? :p

Just what kind of whistling sound is it? I had some gurgles but can't recall a whistle. Everything I know about whistling involves a redirection of air. Could there be an obstruction in the stem? Maybe running a drill bit through it would solve the problem.

Another mechanics by:

John Rocheleau mechanics

"I have two of John’s pipes and both are identical in terms of internal mechanics. John mastered the airflow dynamics of his pipes and the draught is clean and easy with no whistling or tightness. It has an easy draw that makes smoking it a pleasure."

Jim

I once had a pipe with the same affliction. In that case, the draft hole of the stem did not align with that of the shank. The pipe was straight but a pipe cleaner would not go through. I used a Dremel to flare the inside of the mortise until the pipe cleaner could pass (with a little bit of poking and twisting) and that also solved the whistling issue. It was a cheap pipe (Big Ben comes to mind, but I'm not sure)..

OCD truly can kill a pipe experience...good thought, Mon.

Whistling is disrupted air flow. This may or may not mean off-centered drilling, stepped-drilling (different size holes connecting somehow), or even the shape/smoothness of the draft hole.

I chamfer my tenons in a unique way...rather than a 45° angle drilled with a particular bit, I carve them with a particular knife. The result is what I call a "trumpeted" chamfer, and it looks like the bell of a brass instrument. Pipe stems that hadn't whistled before will do so now, because of the difference between the opening at the mortise end in the shank and the tenon end on the stem. Sometimes the stem not even attached to the pipe will whistle when a test draw is taken. The whole point of the chamfering is to reduce the sharp, angled or rough surfaces the pipe may have from bowl to button, which will disturb smoke-flow, where usually moisture will develop as the pipe is smoked. I developed this because I do smoke cheaper pipes, and the stem tenon didn't always line up with the draft hole in the shank (at the mortise).

The subsequent, slight whistling actually became an indicator I was puffing a bit too hard on the pipe after I had added said chamfering...if I concentrated on not making it whistle, suddenly the smoke was cool again. This helped me as a beginner and gives me a reminder if I'm smoking too anxiously and will save my tongue even in my current "intermediate" stage. I have almost zero moisture issues these days.

So no, whistling is not a direct indicator of bad "flow dynamics," but it sometimes is. If the pipe smokes well, then it's merely an irritation. Not to mention, don't blow into the pipe to make the noise if you don't like it...concentrate on drawing instead. :lol:

Kyle Weiss":wn0ef81o said:
Not to mention, don't blow into the pipe to make the noise if you don't like it...concentrate on drawing instead. :lol:
This for sure ! Good one Kyle :twisted:

What Mr Jones said. It could also be a little ebonite or briar "chip" (for want of a better word) that's been left in the airway, causing turbulence.

The pipes in question are 2 neerup pipe I bought for about 60 dollars each. No OCD acting here thats for sure. I have smoked one of them and it's not the best smoker but it's decent to say the least. It is straight and doesn't pass a cleaner tho. So i guess it must be something in the shank.

The whistle sound is kinda like the sound of a person who can't whistle but tries to whistle. That kind of airy sound with a bit of edge to it.

Also there is no abnormalities when I draw. Only when I blow in it.

Isagar":4l4tv2nl said:
Also there is no abnormalities when I draw. Only when I blow in it.
Ther ya go, problem solved! Don't blow in it :cheers: Glad we could hep' :twisted: :twisted:

I see no reason for concern about a pipe the whistles when blown. There really is no reason to be blowing in it anyway, unless it's a bubble pipe.

I guess my biggest annoyance is the fact they can't pass a pipe cleaner. Is there any way to fix it? My best bet would be I have to take it to a professional to somehow open up the mortise, which TBH, i don't like altering the specification of a pipe.

Pipes should not whistle -- either when sucked on or blown into. If one does, it's probably got a sharp edge somewhere (think : flute mouthpiece).

It may not be a deal-breaker, and it may be that altering its originality is a factor. By the same token though, I know that George Dibos (aka, LL / Precision Pipe Repair & Restoration) partly makes his living partly by turning some pretty high-end collector's pipes into smokers via airway adjustments. And that there are enough people unhappy with enough high-end pipes to keep him backlogged, so, FWIW.

:face:

Have you tried twisting the pipe cleaner, or maybe putting a bend at the tip? It may take a little work to get the fluffy to pass.
If you try or tried this, and you still can't get the cleaner in, it does not mean the pipe is going to be bad. It my collect a bit more moisture than a pipe that was drilled dead on. You can try a number of things to help slow down the accumilation of moisture.

Truing an airway is something I've done quite a few times on my cheap briars with bad drilling (either a missed-stab with the bit, or for whatever reason, a different sized bits used). Most of the time it helps, but is no guarantee. Either DIY, send it in, or figure out if there's a tobacco or smoking method that can help it smoke dry.

Moisture is not my concern. It's the fact that after smoking I can't fully clean it unless I remove the mouthpiece and my OCD really gets on it lol.

I found that if its bent, I could usually pass a cleaner by twisting it midway, but if its straight and it doesn't pass a cleaner, then no twisting will do anything.

No expert here, but whistling is an airway problem, they shouldn't do it.

I think based on theory, if a pipe does not whistle when drawing, it should have no negative effect on the smokability.

I personally have yet to seen a pipe that whistle's when drawing. Perhaps someone with a pipe that do can shed some light as to it's smoking quality/performance.