Pipes that whistles when I blow in it

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it whistles while drawing, I think they're drawing WAAAY too hard. :lol:

Isagar":bgt73mfq said:
I think based on theory, if a pipe does not whistle when drawing, it should have no negative effect on the smokability.

I personally have yet to seen a pipe that whistle's when drawing. Perhaps someone with a pipe that do can shed some light as to it's smoking quality/performance.
You're possibly over-thinking this, but hey, I empathize--no pot calling the kettle black here. :lol:

As I stated above, whistle does not always equal pipe performance problems. I can attest to this. A "silent draw" will not always ensure a perfect-smoking pipe.

All whistling will do is clue you in to the possibility that IF there's a problem, you know where to look, rather than looking for a problem that may or may not be there.

I guess it's time to start bringing car metaphors into the mix. You have a rattling sound in your engine that unnerves you. You inspect, but find nothing wrong. It continues. You get really worried. You bring it into a mechanic, assuming the worst. They find nothing wrong--but they also fail to check the heat shield covering the downpipe and exhaust manifold, which managed to work lose a bolt or two--a $1.00 fix.

Happens all the time.

8)

I have a Velani that whistles. If it didn't smoke so well I'd probably try to fix it. What's funny it that it doesn't whistle when I actually smoke it. Only when I'm sucking air through the empty, unlit pipe. :scratch: