Pipes with photo-etched finishes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleksis

Reaction score
What is your opinion of briar pipes with photo-etched finishes, like Paronelli or Vector? I find some of them pretty, but I wasn't sure what that meant for the quality. I have a Vector that was given to me as a gift. It's pretty, it smokes well but the bowl burns very hot. Any insight about these colorful pipes?

One thing in particular that concerns me is how well these pipes can breathe with this finish.

How thick are the walls? Thin walls would be my first guess. But, there might be something they are using in their finish that holds heat.

I'm not even sure what photo etch finish means. I know what photo etched parts are in the modeling world (plastic kits). But all I see when I look at the Vector pipes are pretty finishes that look painted on.

desertpiper":yoqgrou5 said:
I'm not even sure what photo etch finish means. I know what photo etched parts are in the modeling world (plastic kits). But all I see when I look at the Vector pipes are pretty finishes that look painted on.
I don't know what the process is either, but that's what they call it... :?:

from kemactech.com

Photochemical Etching Process:

When starting photo chemical maching, thin metal sheets are cleaned with chemical solutions and laminated with a very thin layer of photo-resist film. Using a CAD created Photo-Tool, images are printed on both sides of the sheet using calibrated Ultra Violet lights.

Printed sheets are developed in chemical solutions to expose the metal surface in the printed areas. The sheets are then sprayed with proprietary solutions so that the exposed metal dissolves away. The photo-resist film used in the photochemical etching process protects the material in the areas that were not washed away in the developing process. After etching, the residual photo-resist film is stripped in alkaline solutions. Process parameters at each stage are controlled to obtain the desired dimensions and finish. Upon completing a dimensional and visual inspection, components are ready for any necessary secondary operations such as forming, plating, heat-set, passivation, anodizing, etc.

I don't know if this is how they do it with pipes....but it sure made my head hurt reading it.

scotties22":zekbzq7q said:
from kemactech.com

Photochemical Etching Process:

When starting photo chemical maching, thin metal sheets are cleaned with chemical solutions and laminated with a very thin layer of photo-resist film. Using a CAD created Photo-Tool, images are printed on both sides of the sheet using calibrated Ultra Violet lights.

Printed sheets are developed in chemical solutions to expose the metal surface in the printed areas. The sheets are then sprayed with proprietary solutions so that the exposed metal dissolves away. The photo-resist film used in the photochemical etching process protects the material in the areas that were not washed away in the developing process. After etching, the residual photo-resist film is stripped in alkaline solutions. Process parameters at each stage are controlled to obtain the desired dimensions and finish. Upon completing a dimensional and visual inspection, components are ready for any necessary secondary operations such as forming, plating, heat-set, passivation, anodizing, etc.

I don't know if this is how they do it with pipes....but it sure made my head hurt reading it.
scotties22 thanks for that finding that! I guess they somehow adhere the film to the briar, then lacquer it? That's just conjecture. So far I really enjoy smoking it, so I guess that's all that matters. But I would like to find out more about them. I guess I'll write the company.

Zeno Marx":ffgkusag said:
That is one opinion :lol: I do like mine and find it pretty, though some of the designs I find atrocious. It's an inexpensive, mass-produced pipe, but it's an interesting conversation piece and it smokes well, if a little hot.

407746_467088516674947_1874424679_n.jpg

Possibly irrelevant, but...

When prepping screen-printing screens, an emulsion "wash" is painted onto the screen, then a negative of the image to be etched is placed in front of it, and it's exposed to UV light for awhile. The part of the wash that gets the light hardens, and the rest can be washed away. I wonder if photo-etching on briar is similar? Perhaps they use a coating that can be photo-hardened, like the screen printing wash, then apply a finish over it, then remove it with a solvent that cuts the original wash but not the final finish?

The Wiki article on photo emulsions explains the process pretty well.

I think they run this through a chemical bath. Dip it into the bath. I watched them do this kind of thing on motorcycle tins. It was ugly there, too.

Ah -- a little more research incicates that photo-etching is also another term for digital laser engraving. Perhaps they engrave differences in texture? Or perhaps they use finishes that change color under a laser?

I have two Paronellis and they smoke fine. They're not photo etched both stained. One is DARK blue stained with lots of fills and drilled perfectly at the bottom of the bowl, the other looks gorgeous, is black with an orange crown and drill just above the bottom of the bowl. both have the clear stem with the black line in the middle. If you do buy one of those be careful when running a pipe cleaner through it. If it's a bristle cleaner it will take gouge the black.

Zeno Marx":m6fjilms said:
I think they run this through a chemical bath. Dip it into the bath. I watched them do this kind of thing on motorcycle tins. It was ugly there, too.
The more I think about it, this is what I keep coming up with too.

The one posted in here is pretty in it's own way - but this wouldn't be for me. The "not of this time" aesthetics is just too big of a pleasure for me in pipes.

pipesbyjake":w59edihc said:
Possibly irrelevant, but...

When prepping screen-printing screens, an emulsion "wash" is painted onto the screen, then a negative of the image to be etched is placed in front of it, and it's exposed to UV light for awhile. The part of the wash that gets the light hardens, and the rest can be washed away. I wonder if photo-etching on briar is similar? Perhaps they use a coating that can be photo-hardened, like the screen printing wash, then apply a finish over it, then remove it with a solvent that cuts the original wash but not the final finish?

The Wiki article on photo emulsions explains the process pretty well.
Thanks for that, that was helpful!

Well, I do think mine is pretty and it smokes great, so I guess in the end that's all that matters. I'm going to try to get in touch with Vector though.