pipes you don't see anymore

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
You're encouraged to share your notions as you hark back to old days.

In the early 90s, I traded pipes A LOT, and there was a growing number of shops that sent out estate catalogs. I wish I'd saved them. The one that sticks out, and that I often bought from, was Edwards in either Dallas or Houston. I think it was Dallas. Big pipes. Everyone had huge pipes. I digress. I watch for the following pipes, but I never see them.

*I wish I had photos for examples.

Radice - I had several Radice Rinds. I think Marble Arch was the importer? Radice changed its carving style at some point, and I'm not an expert enough to know when this happened. It's not drastically different than today, but you'd clock it if you were to see them side by side. I never see these Rinds circa 1990-1991.

Castello - 1) giant bulldogs. They churned out giant bulldogs like crazy in the 90s. Many of them in their smooth red finish (Great Line?), which I think has long been discontinued. Hardly ever see giant bulldogs OR that smooth red finish pop up. 2) their Sea Rocks had a wonderful finish that I also never see on the estate market. Deep carving, but then they would maybe hit them on the sanding wheel to give them a smooth finish to the light touch? I've publicly shot back and forth with Sasquatch about this era of Sea Rock, and he doesn't remember them as well as I do. They didn't look like they were buffed after carving, but sanded smoothish after carving. There was a time there when every Sea Rock I handled (all with the foiled "gem" stone American market stems) was of this particular Sea Rock finish. Where have all of those gone?

...I had one other in mind, but now I've lost the thought. For next time...