Pipeweed of Middle Earth

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
Not the JustForHim series.

I am a fan Lord of the Rings and things related to Middle Earth and I love that the pipe is mentioned so heavily.

I got to wondering about what the people of Middle Earth would smoke if it weren't a fictional tale.

I don't think they would have aromatics or toppings of any sort, but I would imagine that air cured, sun cured tobacco, and maybe fire cured would be the main available leaf. I would think they would use the most basic of methods to cure the tobacco. When I received my lb order of FVF I gave it a whiff and immediatley thought of Longbottom Leaf, the finest pipeweed. But then I thought perhaps Longbottom would be something like a VaPer, English,Oriental or Balkan. Balkan Sobranie perhaps since it's now legendary.

What do you fellas think would be the equivalent of Old Tobey and Longbottom leaf today (both made by the same hobbit but most likely different blends) and is still in profuction?

The elves would be smoking Embarcadero.

Period.

And the rest would be wishing they had some.

Except for Gandolf.

His would be Key Largo.

:face:

No sun?,,,,shortcut to mushrooms,,, :lol!:

You might want to look at Jan Zeman's website.He carves some wicked LOR
pipes. www.zemanpipes.com

Winslow :sunny:

The Pipes look beautiful indeed, but I was mainly talking about the leaf that they would smoke, and shortcut to mushrooms, being cased probably wouldn't be smoked.

I don't know... Considering its a imaginary world I cant see why the tobacco wouldn't have imaginary flavors on it. :p

I would guess there would be many herbal additives to flavor the smoke. Things similar to deer tongue.

In a world of giants, sorcerers, demons, orks, and assorted weird creatures, they must have been smoking something akin to what my college roommates smoked back in the late 60s. :mrgreen:

Natch

I can't remember where I read it but Tolkien quashed the rumor that it could have been anything but tobacco in his imaginary peoples pipes.. I figure it is his world... I'll take his word for it.

(Yes I know he's long dead, but does a mans creation cease to belong to him when he passes on to the next level? )

I've never been interested enough to hunt for it, BUT if you dig through old pics, writings, etc etc you might find out what him and his 'writing buddys' smoked... I'll bet it would be easy to piece the puzzle together if you could get that far.

puros_bran":io9chrux said:
I don't know... Considering its a imaginary world I cant see why the tobacco wouldn't have imaginary flavors on it. :p
Yeah, ,,,like liverwurst cavendish,,,or fiddleback fern fairy flake,,,,stalagtite moss shag,,,,ready rubbed snail antenna,,,wizzard whisker plug,,,

puros_bran":padu9mb8 said:
I've never been interested enough to hunt for it, BUT if you dig through old pics, writings, etc etc you might find out what him and his 'writing buddys' smoked... I'll bet it would be easy to piece the puzzle together if you could get that far.
JRR Tolkien smoked Capstan Medium Navy Cut. I had heard this was true but thought I'd confirm by writing to the Tolkien Estate. I received this reply from JRR's grandson:

You are perfectly correct, Professor Tolkien's tobacco of choice was
indeed Capstan Medium Navy Cut. You might also be interested to know
that it was also his son Christopher's favourite tobacco until he
stopped smoking.
Best regards
Adam Tolkien

You next mission: Find out what C. S. "Jack" Lewis, Owen Barfield, Charles Williams,, Warren "Warnie" Lewis, Roger Lancelyn Green, Adam Fox, Hugo Dyson, R. A. Havard, J. A. W. Bennett, Lord David Cecil, Nevill Coghill, Percy Bates, Charles Leslie Wrenn, Colin Hardie, James Dundas-Grant, Jon Fromke, John Wain, R. B. McCallum, Gervase Mathew, and C. E. Stevens. Smoked.. The famous or infamous Inklings

Stalin smoked Edgeworth,the American ambassador brought it to him
in the diplomatic pouches during WW2.He probably was cut off during
the cold war or given some inferior blend such as Walnut that would
give him a sore throat. :lol:

Winslow :sunny:

There is a book entitled "The Gospel According to Tolkien" (I'm too lazy right now to find the author's name) in which the author deals with the characters in the books smoking pipe's all the time. He claims that the reason the hobbits smoke tobacco is because they know how to enjoy the finer things in life, which is the same reason Gandalf smokes his pipe. For Tolkien it is unwise to make quick decisions. Thus the books take place over many many years and often times people take a long time to make some really crucial decisions. For the same reason Gandalf always seems to show up at the very last possible moment. Tolkien believed that no decision should be made in haste, but rather thought about over long periods of time. Thus one of the reason's his characters were pipe smokers. While enjoying the finest middle-earth had to offer they could sit and contemplate all those difficult decisions they had to make. Good advise if you ask me.

NO!!!!!!

Quick hasty decisions followed by long periods of pipe smoking to figure out how you shoulda did it.. :D :D :D

Ok, lousy model... but it's mine... :lol: :lol: :lol:

puros_bran":ou4shxmh said:
NO!!!!!!

Quick hasty decisions followed by long periods of pipe smoking to figure out how you shoulda did it.. :D :D :D

Sadly, mine as well! :silent:

Centurian 803":9gk6av1y said:
puros_bran":9gk6av1y said:
NO!!!!!!

Sadly, mine as well! :silent:
Me three :tongue: .

I think this could be our BOB motto? It sure describes my life! Though, it does put a premium on big screw ups, as they require just that much more time puffing and thinking about how you fu**ed up before you have the courage to stand up, move forward, and create an even bigger screw up.

Natch