Poker pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":ecuj0lwa said:
It's funny: some guys get pegged as "aromatic only," here I am the "fervent aromatic hater." Ah well...better than being an "aromatic only guy." :lol!: Hehehehe. :p

Aromatics? Somebody Call? :mrgreen:

Nevermind, I also occasionally enjoy Va's, VaPer's, Lat's, and most combinations of these blends thereof.

So much for me being the 'Aromatic Only Guy'....
Nice idea though. 8)

Rob_In_MO":xndqtjs4 said:
Aromatics? Somebody Call? :mrgreen:

Nevermind, I also occasionally enjoy Va's, VaPer's, Lat's, and most combinations of these blends thereof.

So much for me being the 'Aromatic Only Guy'....
Nice idea though. 8)
No, seriously...it might not matter. Ask Storm_Crow. The guy, for whatever reason, is the first one I think of when I start reading people's notions of "the aro guy." He smokes a lot more than aros, everyone knows it (I think) but yet, I say I don't like a particular aromatic, I suddenly get the pendulum-swing opposite tag. :lol: It's funny...must be the Internet. Then again, I have so much Borkum Riff, I must like it! :cheers: :p

Kind of like how a guy can't unwear that dress, just that once, when drinking with co-workers. :lol: You get pegged forever. :lol:

It's not fair. Solution: rage quit.

Headcharge":lgtxybyc said:
Ok. Is there a section on the site that I can post pics of the new pipe that everyone can see except Kyle?

Seems like that would be a fun section.
rotflmao :) .

doody.

Something to watch for in a poker -- The pipe's base can't be perfectly flat, lest the pipe's imbalance causes it to use the mouthpiece as a "cane" to stay upright. Two of my three pokers are slight bents to alleviate the balance problem. I think balance when set down must make the poker a deceptively tricky pipe to carve.

KevinM":zmh49t0l said:
Something to watch for in a poker -- The pipe's base can't be perfectly flat, lest the pipe's imbalance causes it to use the mouthpiece as a "cane" to stay upright. Two of my three pokers are slight bents to alleviate the balance problem. I think balance when set down must make the poker a deceptively tricky pipe to carve.
From my research and reading, poker pipes are one of the basic models. The stem-90°-from-bowl, cylinder shape and basic geometry make it a suggestion to those new to carving, especially if they have a lathe handy.

Though you are very correct, some pokers benefit from a canted base so the stem isn't causing a counterweight to the entire pipe--that depends on the pipe's bowl size and shank/stem length, or even how high or low on the bowl the shank sits. There was a poker meerschaum I was very attracted to that wasn't designed properly, and wouldn't stand up. One thing I've also discovered is pokers present an unusual amount of challenge when faced with pipe furniture reserved for more round-bottomed pipes. It seems that their ability to sit by themselves singles them out in that department.

Still, one of my favorite shapes. 8)

Turns out I have four pokers in my arsenal -- a Stan, a Dr. Grabow, a BB&S (spinoff from Barling, I think) and an AM (looks like a Wilke). Of the four, only the Stanwell easily passes the "Sit. Stay." test. The BB&S usually sits but wants to rest on its bit if given even a slight opportunity. The Grabow Sculptura best illustrates the challenge of designing a poker. The pipe is 5 3/4 long by 1 3/4 high. There is a metal screw between shank and mouthpiece. I once checked ths history of this pipe and learned that the Gtabow "carvers" blasted out a new bowl every few minutes. If they had a bit of time to bench test their handiwork ... or if the metal bit in the mouthpiece were a tiny bit closer to the bowl ... or if a tenon had been substituted for the metal bit ... or if the bowl were just a little heavier ,,, or if the stem were a tad shorter -- the pipe might have passed the "Sit. Stay." test. But it doesn't even try; soon as the bowl touches the table, the bit drops, too. Yes, it stays upright, but it seems to me a poker can't rely on a crutch. Smokes fine, though. Interesting things, pipes. So simple, yet so fraught with opps for the detail that isn't quite what it could be.

Sounds like its time to carve a poker... one that sits properly :D . I haven't had a chance to carve one lately.

You guys are full of... good ideas :D.

. . . and another thing re: pokers. I don't think I've ever seen a hand-carved poker that didn't cant the bottom of the bowl and/or put the shank at a slight angle to achieve the necessary balance. The artisan knew the requirements of the design. But I've seen machine-produced pokers aplenty that, but for the flat bottom and distinctly shaped bowl, could have been made from the same pattern as a billiard. They might have passed to a newbie seeking something a little different (my Grabow, for instance), but it seems like the soulless marketing weasels at work to me.

Well the poker is done and in the mail. I will not be home for a few more weeks but I hope that Ocelot 55 will post up some pics of the beauty.

I'be got two or three very nice GBD poker pipes in my herd. Highly recommended. And not terribly expensive either.

So here is Luke's new poker! I wound up having to cut down the bowl to get below some pits and wound up with a poker that was too light to balance and a shank that was too long. That said, I am very happy with the draw on this pipe. I think it will be a phenomenal smoker. She ain't awful to look at either, granted a few things could be better, but I think this is a great pipe.

Take a look:

102_0273.jpg

102_0277.jpg

102_0276.jpg

102_0275.jpg

Ocelot55":tw6sj9xe said:
So here is Luke's new poker! I wound up having to cut down the bowl to get below some pits and wound up with a poker that was too light to balance and a shank that was too long. That said, I am very happy with the draw on this pipe. I think it will be a phenomenal smoker. She ain't awful to look at either, granted a few things could be better, but I think this is a great pipe.

Take a look:

102_0273.jpg

102_0277.jpg

102_0276.jpg

102_0275.jpg

You made that Ocelot?

Damn, son that's a fine pipe and no mistake! You should be proud.....

:geek:

Cheers,

R

Finally got home last night. The poker is great! I will try and post up some more pics tonight.

It looks great. Can it sit on that angled bottom on it's own? I can't tell. It looks angled right, though...

8)

No surprise on the balance issues. Even some of the worlds best known English pipe carvers still have problems balancing a poker.

DSC00169.jpg

Very nice pipe - beautiful finish.

Enjoy

Fraternally

Jers