Post Your Comments on Acadian Perique Here

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firstly, a big Thanks Brother! to Winslow for sending out the samples -- very cool.

I have only smoked one bowl of this so far... I thought it was kind of one dimensional, and to quote others, this baccy did not ever really develop for me. I could not detect the virginias, but there was a pronounced perique spiciness, which I did like. I kind of felt like I was smoking a spicy cigarette... I will have to revisit this, perhaps in several different pipes. Interesting to read all of the different opinions on this blend. Thanks again, Winslow!

Big ups to Steve who went through the trouble of doing this! Thanks buddy!

I've smoked through the sample but wasn't overly impressed. As most of you know I'm A HUGE FAN of MacBaren's blends as a whole. That said. I've never really cared for any of their non flake/cake blends. I found it to be harsh and incredibly fast buring. The flavor was VERY light and almost totally bland as I reached the middle of the bowl. Not a good "outside" blend on a breezy day. It will dissapear almost like magic! The other issue was that it really dried my mouth out. I was drinking iced tea like a mad man through all four bowls. Not a keeper for me.

Anyway, I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to give it a try even if the results weren't what I was hoping for.

Thank you Winslow for providing this opportunity.

With prior Mac Baren experience in mind I started by thoroughly drying the sample.
Slowly smoking half a small bowl in a filtered cob seemed possibly inoffensive, so SWMBO and I
filled a small unfiltered briar and despite our caution encountered a suggestion of adulterants and not much else. Looking for more flavor we loaded a larger meerschaum and found only more adulterant flavor and our tongues adversely effected so subsequent bowls our preferred tobaccos were unpleasant. Sweet SWMBO issued a cease and desist order re further testing. I suspect there may be connoisseurs of adulterants who actually prefer them to tobacco. :confused:

Thanks for all the input guys.I will forward reviews to MacBaren representative.
A fun thing to do with the BoB Forum,maybe again someday. :lol:

Winslow :sunny:

I’m a little late in my comments here, but I liked this blend. I am not a fan of Vaper’s, but I am trying to expand my horizons. I am a fan of Orientals and was happy to find the Orientals playing the lead role here. It is a delicate blend that could easily get lost if it’s paired with a strong drink, or followed a stronger blend. With all that being said the perique adds an earthy sweetness to support the Oriental high notes ridding on the VA’s. I like the blend and I think with some age on it, it will really shine.

Just finished my third bowl. I appreciate Winslow's efforts in making this available for sampling and for including me in the mailing. Unfortunately this one just didn't connect with me. I smoked it in a meer and the first bowlful was nondescript. The second and third bowlsful were better but not remarkable. The taste was a bit bland. About halfway through the second and third bowls an interesting creamy, almost buttery, taste made a brief appearance but then faded like a wil'o the wisp. Not an unpleasant smoke but then again nothing I'd go back to.
Thanks again Winslow for the opportunity to try it.

Goddam... I just got mine!

Surprised at how it smells, that's for darn sure. Post back soon.

Okay.

Thanks Winslow, for the sample, and thanks Mac Baren for getting this out to us.

For "serious" reviews, I have started lighting 2 pipes at once. Sometimes a direct, immediate comparison allows me to understand a blend a bit more.

In the bag, I thought "Hmm, I've smelled this before" so I went and smelled other bags. Anniversary Kake and Smoker's Forum Inception rang a bell.

So I packed a pipe of Acadian, and a similar bowl of Anni Kake and smoked and compared. Anniversary Kake is sweeter and has an almost soapy taste in the background, and the Acadian does smoke as some have noted, almost like an oriental blend.

Neither strikes me as a "typical" Va/per, to be honest. Both strike me as being really heavily processed in curing, stoving etc with at least some of the leaf.

It's tasty, has the black tea-like sharpness that I associate with orientals, but isn't as sweet as I would like, in terms of the carrying virginias. An interesting tobacco.

OK, I just finished my 3rd and final bowl. Let me first add to the chorus of thanks to Winslow.

I rather enjoyed it overall. It smell great in the bag. The burning properties are very good. The flavor I found to be dominated by the perique, but it wasn't overwhelming or out of balance. I didn't detect as much of the orientals as some of the other reviewers here have. The general picture is well balanced, but not terribly complex. I'd call it good to very good, but I'm not rushing out to buy a tin (which isn't to say I won't buy it).

Thanks again! It's always fun to do a review en masse with a group of smokers.

-Andrew

Having finished mine, I'll say it was good, but not great.
My sample saved me the cost of a tin.
Thanks again, Steve!

Man, I'm running late here but that's the story of my life,,,, Thank you Winslow for including me,,,I've smoked up the sample and found it to be smooth, with a buttery undercurrent,,,sweet, but not overly so,,,the perique provided enough pepper to keep it interesting, but not overpower the experience,,,not a WOW in your face blend but middle of the road solid,,,I think it's a keeper and I'll put some away.

First, thanks to Winslow for doing this. The time and effort is much appreciated.

To be honest, there is really very little I can add to the comments already posted. Seems to me to be very much a matter of the blending house trying to step out of their traditional blending philosophy (although the signature Mac Baren aroma is there) and do something which is simply too 'un-Danish' to work. There is a push-and-pull going on in this blend between two very different conceptualizations of what such a mixture should be - and the net effect is not pleasant. I would suggest that Mac Baren stick to what they know best and leave the mixing of such blends to others.

I like!

Lit well, has a nice perique spice. Didn't get any comment from SWMBO about room note so it looks like a winner. Nice light sweetness to it as well. Tested in a cob, Julius Vesz bent billiard, Peterson bent System, Peterson meer. Plan to add to cellar once I find it up here, snowed overnight :no: , blah...

When Winslow so generously offered samples of MacBaren HH Acadian Perique, I decided that it was finally time to de-lurk after reading the helpful comments of the Brothers of Briar & add my own 2 cents worth. Here are my humble impressions, offered with thanks to Winslow for sending me a sample:
Ribbon cut with strands of light & dark leaves & smaller chunks of black leaves that are presumably the Perique. Pliable & not too moist.
The pouch aroma is pleasant with a quality of richness but nothing that jumped out at me. Subtle pouch aroma of orientals too.
Easy to pack plus lit without problems & burned beautifully producing adequate amounts of smoke.
Some initial harshness with an occasional hint of pneumonia on the slipstream that suggests to me that this weed needs more age.
Intermittent Oriental aromas & tastes pop up.
The intermittent harshness persisted throughout with some tickle on the back of my throat again suggesting the tobaccos youth.
Burned to a fine grey ash.
This is a quality pipe tobacco that needs more aging.
I’ll buy a couple tins to put away for a few years.

Wow! Screwed up the 1st post!
I meant ammonia, not pneumonia