Praying Manti

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuervo25_1

Reaction score
well in order to help control the Mosquito,tick,flea , stink bug and any other annoying insect poulation I just realeased approx 200 baby manti from 4 egg sacs. I kept a few in the big terrarium for observation/more egg sacs.

I bought a dozen of the egg sacs from ebay to hatch for this purpose plus to be able teach my son about them. So now I put in 4 new egg sacs in the small terrarium for them to hatch. EFF THE PESKY BUGS I AM WAGEING BIOLOGICAL WARFARE!

We had a good mantis thread going here a while back:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14539-special-guest?highlight=guest

That was an epic mantid thread! :cheers:

Good luck with your personal insectoid army, Tony! :D

I wish I could order some of these as well

2884928893_187a110164.jpg

furrow.jpg

The only spiders I will live with besides these two are the wolf spider and common garden spider. The rest can die and go to hell!

...and now, my favorite arachnid... the jumping spider. This little gal was hangin' outside the front door of my former duplex. She was super chill, and let me pick her up. As soon as I was done taking pictures, she hopped off my hand back to the mailbox and resumed her duty. 8)

5609_102060469806516_100000076916918_58797_6859329_n.jpg

Good pix, Kyle. Shes a beauty. We have a fair amount of Texas Brown Tarantulas around here, but they're useless for mosquitos or flys. But for scaring the bajeziz out of my wife, they're great. When we built our house and first moved in, about 20 years ago, we had a tarantula that lived under a rock right outside our back door. My two year old daughter and I would go out and "play" with him just about every evening. My wife, for some odd reason, never joined us. :?:

Natch

I hatched a case last spring (ordered from eBay) and let them loose in my garden to help keep the other bugs out. Don't know if it really helped or not, but it couldn't have hurt.

I see them occasionally here in town too, but not as many as I saw back when I lived at home...

I think it is a stretch to assume that the eBay mantises will just eat anything. They probably have specific critters that they like to eat. Failing that, they starve to death. Better to get a culture from your own area. That way, you have a chance of them surviving.

I thought about knocking together a bunch of bat houses to foster the bat population. It was then suggested that I would have to make my houses bat friendly by adding bat guano.

Hence, I will now stick to Off! products.

dougc905":gk3qabqd said:
I think it is a stretch to assume that the eBay mantises will just eat anything. They probably have specific critters that they like to eat. Failing that, they starve to death. Better to get a culture from your own area. That way, you have a chance of them surviving.

I thought about knocking together a bunch of bat houses to foster the bat population. It was then suggested that I would have to make my houses bat friendly by adding bat guano.

Hence, I will now stick to Off! products.

These are Chinese praying mantises, they eat what I listed and more no matter what state they live in. One of the few things that came from china that didn't cause problems and actually help keep in check other problems that China did send.

You don't need to add bat guano to attract bats to the bat house. they will find it and inhabit it own their own

Phidippus audax ...randomly found the taxonomic name for that jumping spider I photographed. Weird.

back in south carolina, we had a beaut of a banana spider on the front window, and my mother in law wanted to sweep her a way (scared, grossed out, etc) I talked her out of it for "crowd control" purposes, and the next year we had an army all over the back yard. all of a sudden, no more mosquito bites when lounging out back.

After moving up to illinois, and spending more time with the inlaws (they are up here) I started getting eaten worse than ever. I thought living in SC had to be the worst, but I kept getting destroyed by little flying teeth up here.... I figured out why: mother in law uses yard fogger to "kill off all the bugs"... I then reminded her of my spider friend and told her she was killing the good ones and the bad. She swore it off this year, so lets see how that works out!

Kyle Weiss":i8bilukk said:
Nature has a funny way of doing things better. Go fig'gur.

And I am going to be releasing another 50 + superior Bruce Lee insectoids loose soon MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I have a personal affinity for dragonflies, myself. An archaic genus, they're simply an excellent design. Most insects are clumsy fliers, lucky to get off the ground at all. The dragonfly, or "skeeter hawk" if you're an old timer, is fast, powerful and agile. They're like little X-Wing fighters. They can spot a mosquito at the scale equivalent of a mile, zap it out of the air, and eat it without slowing down. Finally, after a stranger-than-usual spring, they're starting to hatch here.

George Kaplan":zbpr3aim said:
I have a personal affinity for dragonflies, myself. An archaic genus, their simply an excellent design. Most insects are clumsy fliers, lucky to get off the ground at all. The dragonfly, or "skeeter hawk" if you're an old timer, is fast, powerful and agile. They're like little X-Wing fighters. They can spot a mosquito at the scale equivalent of a mile, zap it out of the air, and eat it without slowing down. Finally, after a stranger-than-usual spring, they're starting to hatch here.
Agreed.

I am often graced with their presence when I fish. They play and land about the gear, land on the bow of my kayak and go for a ride, and chase after random bugs that fly by, then return to me and eat them.

Just found this randomly. I hadn't heard of a "violin mantis," but here it is... super cool. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6zZ5nI512UU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...another...

Orchid Mantis. I especially like the leg being eaten like spaghetti. O sole mio!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eIBeV6XCaKQ" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kyle Weiss":6rzcrtgh said:
...another...

Orchid Mantis. I especially like the leg being eaten like spaghetti. O sole mio!
Gotta save the wings for dessert, then lick your fingers when you're done. :twisted:

Thanks Kyle! That was a cool watch... 8)