Premium coffee prices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use to make a trip every other week to a great local coffee roaster (Stauf's) for the last 20 years.. After retiring and not driving into the city regularly we ran out and I went to out ocal grogery and grabbed a bag of orig Eight O'clock and havn't looked back.

Your getting off good at those prices! Try being hooked on JBM and Kona @ 20-22 bucks for half a pound.

StephenDownie":7adoybqd said:
I love my coffee too. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard a consortium is buying up a lot of the coffee from small scale plantations. Like I said not sure if that's true, so take it with a grain of salt. For what it's worth I buy my coffee in green bean form and roast it at home. I was addicted to Intelligentsia Black Cat, but the price was pretty crazy. Some of the beans I get are just as good as Black Cat, but about half the price. Plus you can roast to your own palette. After going the green bean route for the last two years I'd never go back.

You are correct sir, there is also a group from Japan that bought up most of the plantations in Jamaica also :evil: JBM went through the roof :(

Falconer":60zgr2t8 said:
I'm a premium coffee junky. For years my favorite has been Kenya Peaberry. I usually buy 2 pounds at a time from our local spice merchant. Last month it was up to $11 a pound after being at $9 for years. I went to make my next purchase yesterday and it was $14.50 Lb! :pale:
What's going on in Africa that's driven the price so high? Folgers is like drinking saturated cardboard to me. My sister lives in Washington and sends me "Seattle's Best" but I still need my fix of Cherry beans from Kenya.
What's up with this? Is it our high taxing government getting involved in this just like they have with tobacco industry?
Hello, Falconer. Spice Merchant-my favorite tea house. Was just there 2 days ago buying some Assam. Wish I could afford premium coffee, but, since I can't, buy Cafe Bustelo from the local WalMart. Canned coffee which tastes as good as almost any freshly roasted whole bean coffee I've ever drank. earl

earl":3rpjxwsv said:
Falconer":3rpjxwsv said:
I'm a premium coffee junky. For years my favorite has been Kenya Peaberry. I usually buy 2 pounds at a time from our local spice merchant. Last month it was up to $11 a pound after being at $9 for years. I went to make my next purchase yesterday and it was $14.50 Lb! :pale:
What's going on in Africa that's driven the price so high? Folgers is like drinking saturated cardboard to me. My sister lives in Washington and sends me "Seattle's Best" but I still need my fix of Cherry beans from Kenya.
What's up with this? Is it our high taxing government getting involved in this just like they have with tobacco industry?
Hello, Falconer. Spice Merchant-my favorite tea house. Was just there 2 days ago buying some Assam. Wish I could afford premium coffee, but, since I cant't, buy Cafe Bustelo from the local WalMart. Canned coffee which tastes as good as almost any freshly whole bean coffee I've ever drank. earl
Thanks Earl. I'll surely give it a try. That is if I can find a Walmart around. somewhere. :lol!:

Falconer":5gc35jfa said:
earl":5gc35jfa said:
Falconer":5gc35jfa said:
Hello, Falconer. Spice Merchant-my favorite tea house. Was just there 2 days ago buying some Assam. Wish I could afford premium coffee, but, since I can't, buy Cafe Bustelo from the local WalMart. Canned coffee which tastes as good as almost any freshly roasted whole bean coffee I've ever drank. earl
Thanks Earl. I'll surely give it a try. That is if I can find a Walmart around. somewhere. :lol!:
Actually, unless you have a sizeable Hispanic community, it might not be available. It's an espresso roast. However, check out the website for Javacabana.com. earl

earl":zw6s0m0b said:
Falconer":zw6s0m0b said:
earl":zw6s0m0b said:
Falconer":zw6s0m0b said:
Hello, Falconer. Spice Merchant-my favorite tea house. Was just there 2 days ago buying some Assam. Wish I could afford premium coffee, but, since I cant't, buy Cafe Bustelo from the local WalMart. Canned coffee which tastes as good as almost any freshly whole bean coffee I've ever drank. earl
Actually, unless you have a sizeable Hispanic community, it might not be available. It's an espresso roast. However, check out the website for Javacabana.com. earl
Earl, we're talk'n Wichita here bud! I'll find it. No problem. thanks again.
Ps - let me know if you have any tobaccy places to patronize beside the Humidor and the Chateau. Send me a PM, these guys are probably tired of hearing about Kansasland. :sleep:

I find it very interesting that there are so many home roasters here. I too have roasted my own on and off for years (using Sweet Maria's for green beans as well - heck, I was ordering from them when they were still in Ohio).

Perhaps there is something to be said for the love of the pipe, fine tobacco, and indulging in the wonders of home roasting going together? Or, at the very least, giving some serious thought and love to excellent coffees (for those who don't roast their own, but who pay attention to what they buy - OTC or otherwise)?

Imagine the offerings (baccy, coffees, and perhaps other fine libations) at a BoB pot luck. It would be an olfactory delight!

puros_bran":n94y3zwj said:
Did someone actually mention that gawd awful over roasted taste like shit scraped off the bottom of a shoe and burnt crap called Starbucks when speaking of premium coffee????

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah. I really do not know how they stay in business.