Prepping FVF?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelhammer

Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys prepare FVF? I have had just three bowls now. The first one, I dried the flake whole, roughed it up a little, and stuffed it home. Beginners luck, as it was amazing. The next two I cubed the flake, then dried it. Still had great taste, but did not burn down as well. What a great tobacco. When the lights at the Super Bowl went out, I knew it was just so I could go out and smoke some more.

Andy

I had a bowl of this today, I always rub it out as much as I can and then let it dry some

I'm smoking a bowl right now. I usually tear about 1/4 of the flake off (bulk size flake), rub it out a little, fill the bowl, tamp with my finger, then repeat until I can't fit any more in the bowl. I don't dry it out at all. I actually haven't dried out any of my tobacco before smoking in a long time. I guess I don't find drying out to be necessary.

I like to stove my Virginia's in my kitchen oven at 180 degrees for around 5 hours, especially if I am going to smoke them with less than 5 years of age on the tin.

Prior to smoking, I like to dry my Virginia's for 30 minutes to an hour, and either cube cut or fold and stuff them, depending on the particular pipe I have chosen to smoke.

I work with it at the moisture content it is in the tin or box unless it's so wet it won't burn. I have seen it that wet. I 'strip' the flake along the length into thin strips, bundle those into a bundle that fits loosely into the bowl. Then I tear off a chunk of the bundle and fill the bottom half of the bowl. I then tear off another chunk of that bundle and as I put it into the bowl I rub it apart a bit with my fingers. Lastly comes some "fines" on top to aid ignition. If I'm rushed I'll just strip it, bundle it and give it a rub and then a pinch or three and jam it into the bowl.

If I fancy it rubbed out I like a mixture, fully rubbed out with a goodly dose of broken flake, I prefer the fold & stuff (with a little topping of well rubbed out to get her burning) method really, far more enjoyable, but drying the flake a bit is essential for the fold & stuff method. :)

I dry it some, but leave it a little moist. I use my fingernails to cut small pieces off the flake bar until the pipe is full, tamp it down a little and then fill it up again loosely with small pieces.

I rub it out completely and, unless its a freshly opened tin, I don't dry it out at all.

Fold and load, and no drying. I think FVF comes with the ideal level of moisture (as most flakes from good blenders do) and looses flavor if it is dried. But I seem to be in the minority with these ideas. :eek:

I pinch a bit (highly technical measurement, somewhere between a dab and a dab and 1/12) off the flake, roll it into a loose ball, and stuff in the bowl. Not too tightly or the pipe will not draw. Do this as needed to fill the bowl. And I don't want to see any remarks about flake balls. :evil:

edit once

JimInks":8d7d6ck4 said:
I dry it some, but leave it a little moist. I use my fingernails to cut small pieces off the flake bar until the pipe is full, tamp it down a little and then fill it up again loosely with small pieces.
I just tried this method & it worked out very well. Thank you JimInks for your knowledge on flakes!

TwelveAMnTX":oiiuqajc said:
JimInks":oiiuqajc said:
I just tried this method & it worked out very well. Thank you JimInks for your knowledge on flakes!
Glad to hear it worked out for you! :D

Thought I'd throw this out there... are there noticeable differences between bulk FVF and tinned FVF? I normally only buy the bulk as my local B&M always have a healthy stock of it, but finally broke down last year and got me a tin. Most likely crack it open pretty soon, should I expect many differences?

SpeedyPete":02v6luni said:
I don't smoke FVF because it's a battle to get it burning properly
I use this little trick to get "hard-to-light" flakes going. I top off the bowl with a fine, ribbon cut 'baccy of the same type. Makes for a good fire head. I use CH or PA for Burley or Va flakes; and whatever I have open for Latweeds. :cheers: FTRPLT

Or you could try the lazy man's prep, which is to pack a bowl and then get distracted for a half hour...

deathmetal":ttqvzkmp said:
Or you could try the lazy man's prep, which is to pack a bowl and then get distracted for a half hour...
Prob need to get distracted for half a day in order for fvf to dry out properly

After drying a flake or two for a short period I rub a small portion of one flake and fold and stuff the rest into my pipe. I take the portion that was rubbed out and place it on top to help with lighting. Always works and it stays lit pretty well. :)

AJ