Price check / guess: Ardor Giant estate pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyson

Reaction score
I could use some advice or best guess from wiser heads than mine. I first got interested in pipe smoking from seeing youtube videos of a guy called PipeFriendCHS, and if you haven't seen him he typically makes videos with really big pipes, usually Boswells, Ardors and other artisan pipes. Since then I have wanted to have at least one REALLY big pipe, partly as a collectable, partly as a homage, partly because it looks fun, and partly because I'm a pretty big guy and little pipes look re-freakin-diculous on me.

So anyway, I saw this yesterday and started bidding on it. Its got a few days left and currently stands at $163.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180952614057?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

I know the price is probably going to go a lot higher before it ends. My question is, what do you think a fair price for this pipe would be, how high should I be prepared to go? I don't know what Ardor's usually go for, let alone Giants, But I know I saw a Boswell Grizzly go for about $900 new which would be waaaaay out of my league.

You go as high as you're comfortable going, simple as that. Some people like to piss there money away on eBay, and there will always be Ardor Giants around (though I was tempted to break my auction boycott for this particular one). I've always told myself that if I'm to get an Ardor, it would HAVE to be an estate because you can usually get a good price on 'em, unlike most of their pipes new.

Doesn't exactly give you an answer, but all I'm saying is spend what you want to spend and don't get caught up in a bidding war with some guy that wipes his ass with dollar bills. That's what makes saying what a pipe "should" go for on eBay so difficult.

Cheers for the response Rusty, I understand what you're saying, and I know I'm bidding more with my heart than my head. Maybe a better question for me to ask is 'What kind of price would this be new'. Then at least I know it should be a decent amount less than that. I've looked at the Ardor website and done some searches and I cant really find a comparable pipe to give me an idea.

All I know is I've seen Giants from Ardor go well past the high $400.00 range into the $500.00 bracket (new). I haven't seen one in this Titan finish though, so you got me... :lol:

I sold my barely smoked, gigantic Ardor oompaul for three fifty a few years back... These are more like a door stop than a pipe! Waaaaaay impractical to use in my opinion...

I think of a lot of Ardors as novelties. They, more than a lot of pipes of their caliber are worth what you're willing to pay for them. I picked up this unsmoked Venere Giant (pretty much Ardor's top grade besides a duo-punto) for $350 not too long ago. Is it big? Yes. Is it somewhat impractical? Absolutely. Is it the biggest pipe with immaculate 360 degree flame grain and wonderful birds-eye I've ever seen for the price? Yup. At the time I was on a quest for a perfectly-grained smooth pipe, the bigger, the better. This thing pushed all my buttons hard, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Jh6D0h.jpg

The finish, or lack thereof, will likely drive up the price on this one more than normal. Guessing, obviously. It's not as common as the abominably ugly Meteora finish that you see far more often. Because it is less seen, it's difficult to estimate a value or final price. I'm also guessing it will go for a lot more than most people would be willing to pay for it. For that price there is a beautifully grained Charatan Relief with thick walls from Briar Blues for $200. If I was betting on the better smoke, I'd lay my money down on the Charatan. (not that I don't think that Ardor isn't a sharp pipe. I just wouldn't be willing to go to battle over the novelty of it)

I can't comment on the price, but I wanted to point out that that is our very own brother, Mattia who is selling that pipe. So if you do decided to take the plunge, you could not be buying from a better dude.

Good Day Greyson et all

I am not sure if this type of reply is allowed and if not, please feel free to pull this reply.

Currently we have an Ardor John Eells on the site

http://www.briarblues.com/fg113.htm

Priced at $350.00. This pipe is indeed in the very large to huge range. 3/4 bent egg in a carved finish. I am sure we can shave a little off the price.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler

Thanks guys, everyone's advice is helping me make a much better informed decision.

@BriarBlues, thanks for the posting, its always nice to see alternatives and keep other options open. I'll keep yours and a couple of other pipes in mind while I decide what I can commit to. I've still got the pipelust for the one on ebay however, so I'm a bit blinkered at the moment :)

For the benefit of some of the newer members, Mike from Briar Blues is one of the finest gents the pipe hobby has to offer....

Hi Dock

Thanks for the kind words. Does this mean I need to keep sending the $20.00's..... ? ;)

Regards
Mike

Here's a few large/giant Ardors listed -- take your pick for $145-$275.

I can't post a link but you can check it out -- Pulver's Briars.

Oh and Marty's been around 4ever - great reputation.

Hmph. I waited up until 1am to see if I won this pipe. I decided at the last min to put more money on it just in case, but I have the feeling somebody was using a sniping service. I put my last bid in on impulse with 12 seconds to spare, and another guy beat me at 1 second. Pretty annoyed. It feels wrong to consider using services like that, but then... if you cant beat em... I don't know.

Anyhow, I better not see any newly acquired Ardor pipes getting posted here :evil:

Marty Pulvers":sdy5w3uy said:
Ardor Giove Giant #531117DB

That there is so much straight grain all around this bowl, with no
discordant grain patterns, is remark worthy. In addition, as far
as smoking pleasure goes, the draw is wide-open. The
condition is excellent, too, and the little carbon you see on the
rim of the top right photo will certainly come off easily enough
with a slight polishing effort, which I didn't have the time to do
before posting this.
6.5" long, bowl 2.8" tall. Weight: 7 3/8 oz., 210 grams. $225.
http://www.pulversbriar.com/italian.html

Close enough for government work ?

:face:

Its very nice certainly, I'll take another closer look at it tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake - thanks for posting it though.