Prince Albert and American Pickers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
Hey anyone here like watching Americna Pickers on the History channel? The show is about these two guys who go around and basically find "well-adjusted" hoarders and buy the extra stuff they collect. Lots of old stuff is on that show. Reminds me of some family members (but I digress...). Anyway, with all the old cans and tins everyone on that show seems to collect it is kinda fun to watch for all the old cans of Prince Albert Tobacco. You see them all the time in the background. Its kinda like Where's Waldo. If Waldo was named Albert. And was a Prince. And was in a can. And the can wasn't full of person but tobacco. This is turning into a wierd post...

I like the way you think.....

Yeah, it's a very cool show Momus. It seems that the term "hoarder" has come to have a negative connotation. I much prefer the term collector.

One of the things that made my grandfather a collector, was growing up during the great depression. He only had one pair of overalls, and when my great grandmother washed them for him, he had to go lay in bed nekked until they dried. He told me he dreamed of the day, when he could collect another pair. ;)

Walk through your local antique store and your guaranteed to find PA tins..........lots of them. A pretty ubiquitus item for sure.

Great show ,,, The people they pick from are as interesting as the objects they find, and the stories they tell are pretty neat.

Simple Man":wd132upl said:
I was working in my garage over the weekend and came across a long forgotten metal tackle box that had been buried in a corner. Upon opening the box the first thing to great me was a shiny Prince Albert tin filled not with Prince Albert but lots of hand tied flies... pretty early work from my own hands, and not half bad. :D
Simple Man,
Those old pocket tins were useful items for sure, and filled with flies fit nicely into the fishing vest. The newer tins from C&D, McClleland, and such don't work as well!!
Got any Muddler Minnows in that mix.?

momus":fqlwa50w said:
Hey anyone here like watching Americna Pickers on the History channel? The show is about these two guys who go around and basically find "well-adjusted" hoarders and buy the extra stuff they collect. Lots of old stuff is on that show. Reminds me of some family members (but I digress...). Anyway, with all the old cans and tins everyone on that show seems to collect it is kinda fun to watch for all the old cans of Prince Albert Tobacco. You see them all the time in the background. Its kinda like Where's Waldo. If Waldo was named Albert. And was a Prince. And was in a can. And the can wasn't full of person but tobacco. This is turning into a wierd post...
Nah, it's just starting to make sense to me. :face:

Natch

Great post! Now I'm going to start playing along myself. :lol:

Prince Albert tins were classic, religious art. Nobody threw them out. That would have been like ripping up a picture of the pope.

Simple Man I was gonna suggest a drinking game but thought I should be more responsible...besides I'm a beer guy.
And Dutch, although I think you caught my drift, by "well adjusted" I meant the term "hoarder" in the most civil way. They are diffenently not like the people on that Hoarder show. But, I do have family members whose yards and barns and sheds are just like that show. If only that show was in the Northwest I could make a few phone calls.
But going to Antique stores its amazing what price pt they try to sell those old tins at---often ones covered in rust. And finding "antique" corn cob pipes is always fun as well (25 dollars?....hmmm....think I'll pass).