...prince albert

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpramsey

Reaction score
my father has been telling me stories lately how his grandfather and father used to smoke pipes and all they would smoke was prince albert. while I was out running errands today, I decided to pick up a little bit of PA. banish me from BOB, but i actually enjoyed this tobacco. i could easily see this being a everyday cheap smoke when i don't want to break out the good stuff. makes me wonder if there are any other drug store varieties that are worth trying now

I like prince albert from time to time. Captain black white and gold are pretty high up there as well for me

I like Carter Hall better than Prince Albert. Sir Walter Raleigh, too.

Those OTC blends haven't been around for a hundred years for nothing!!!! Half and Half, SWR, CH, PA, etc. are still considered inexpensive drug store blends but IMO are still excellent tasting and satisfying tobaccos. Stock up on em now, they'll never be less expensive than today!!! Taxes never go down nor do the prices. We have lost too many good OTC blends as it is. Revelation is gone, Country Doctor is gone, Edgeworth is gone. What's next????

No banishment necessary. PA is one of my all time favorites, along with Carter Hall. I buy it by the tub. I get it from one of those discount Tobacco stores on the PA NY border that caters to NY cigarette smokers. At $20 a tub you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

Before I got into pipes, I smoked Captain Black Cigarillos. It is funny that I have never tried Captain Black as a ribbon pipe tobacco though. Not sure why I haven't. I would like to think the reason is because there are just so many blends to try, why waste your time on something you've tried already. At the same time, it is considered a drugstore blend and, to my understanding, is not be considered a high quality tobacco. Maybe that played into my decision, maybe not.

To the point of my ramble, it pleases me to see Dave's concern about enjoying the Prince Albert drugstore blend, and having the brothers on this site confirm his experience, that it is actually a tasty tobacco and it is okay to like it even though it is labeled a "drugstore blend". I should give these other drugstore blends a fair chance. I mean low cost doesn't necessary mean low quality right.

I generally alternate between CH and PA and throw in the occasional SB. I have more than a few tubs in the cellars.. when SHTF I figure 14oz tubs will last a lot longer then 2oz tins

Always tasted like cardboard to me, but if you've got a more acute palette & like it, great !

The world needs more happy campers. 8)

:face:

dpramsey":b7yi2yai said:
I decided to pick up a little bit of PA. banish me from BOB, but i actually enjoyed this tobacco.
That's it - you're outta here! :!:

:lol!:

This coming from one of the biggest fans of Aromatics that we have here on BoB.
Oh yeah - and I regularly smoke Lane's RLP-6 (a very close bulk equivalent to Captain Black White).

8)

A lot of guys here have their "guilty pleasure." That one tobacco that may cause the snobs to sneer, the elite to snark--who the eff cares. :lol: Carter Hall has a special place of memories of my teen years, from my first "pipe maestro" who gave me my first bowl and leaf of the stuff. These days, I'll stuff it in a cob (or some other non-elite bowl) and enjoy the hell out of it.

No shame at all.

8)

Have to agree with the others; smoke what you like! Never was a PA fan myself, but love Carter Hall.

Smoke it while it's out there! As has been said, prices won't go down and even old brands disappear

I prefer CH or PA, depending on which I have an open pouch of. ERR is my favorite, but lack of availability makes the heart grow fonder. The OTC Burleys are great after breakfast smokes. Granger kind of gives me a weird artificial taste with harsh edges, like they tried to sweeten mediocre tobacco into tastiness, but I like most of them.

Just joining the "no need for shame" chorus.

I don't care much for PA, myself, but I always have Carter Hall on hand. Like Doc W. said, those OTC have been around for a long time for a reason.

Around here OTCs aren't over the counter anymore. Last check the best I could do is a 2oz pouch of Carter Hall for $9.95 +75% new york tobacco tax + 8% sales tax. It wasn't coming "over the counter" at that price.

Get them while you can, the online sources are shrinking.

Mars states "We can no longer process sales to the following states: CALIFORNIA, OREGON, WASHINGTON, MARYLAND, AND VERMONT."

OK, enough bitchin, I found CH and Sugarbarrel to my liking early on and stocked up. No nonsense stuff and puff tobacco, a pleasant break from more refined fare. Anyone looking down their nose at OTCs is missing out. Enjoy.

Is Sugar Barrel a regional thing? I have never seen it in Reno. The name suggests I'd hate it, but if it's no sweeter than Carter Hall, I'd be game. If only JR Cigar didn't have it only in 12oz sizes... :|

8)

Aha, perfect. No, I'll grab a 2oz'er from 4Nog next time I compile a TAD. Thanks for that.

8)

mark":17hr8e0v said:
I don't know if it's a regional thing Kyle, Sugarbarrel availability has been on the downslide the last few years like some of the others.
It's on par with CH for sweetness. Nutty burley flavor forward lightly sweet.
I agree with your assessment of the taste of SB. As for availability, I live in North Carolina, and I haven't seen Sugar Barrel for sale in over twenty-five years. Living in a tobacco state as I do, it surprises me how little pipe tobacco I see for sale in stores. Wal-Mart had a few pouches of PA. Harris Teeter had CH and CBW in pouches (just a couple of each) and one tin of CBW. I saw one pouch of CB Blue in a Food Lion. A couple of drug stores have some Smoker's Pride and CBW. I guess the cigarette stories carry some OTCs, but I've never checked them out. One of my local B&M's won't carry OTCs (snobs and at times, worse), and the other one carries SWR, a couple of Captain Black blends, and CH. In a city of more than 250,000, that's not much.

Kyle Weiss":xbwslk7n said:
Is Sugar Barrel a regional thing? I have never seen it in Reno. The name suggests I'd hate it, but if it's no sweeter than Carter Hall, I'd be game. 8)
Just to interject here, both SB and Middleton's Cherry are nowhere near as bad as their names suggest; whatever topping they might have seems to burn off almost instantly, and you are left with a simple, good, basic burley taste. The aroma of both seems acceptable to most civilians I've encountered. One woman even told me that SB smells like a pipe ought to, whatever that means to her. I smoke both from time to time. Kentucky Club Aromatic, et al., is another matter; that's a gung-ho aromatic that one either hates or loves. I sometimes smoke it, mostly for nostalgic reasons. I buy all by the large can at a nearby reservation. I really do wish Revelation, Edgeworth, Barking Dog, etc., were still available, but I wouldn't trade them for Cornell & Diehl or McClelland, so I reckon we're better off than ever, all in all.