...prince albert

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...while I appreciate and truely enjoy strong Virginia Plugs/Flakes/Shags from Europe and have smoked them for more than 45 years...I am a devotee of most all the old OTC tobaccos. The last few days I've enjoyed PA, CH, H&H, Velvet, Mixture 79, SWR, SWR Aro, Granger and Paladin. Some of the formulas have changed over the years but many remain pretty much the same. Much of what I smoke is 30-45 years old so I do compare what I taste and smell in those vs. the current offerings.

Perhaps because of age and experience I am far more fond today of those OTC's than I ever was before. As has been stated...pipe tobacco will decrease and many more brands will go by the wayside...most unfortunate for all of us...and more diturbing for me...having known and smoked many of those tobaccos no longer available, is far more difficult that not having known them at all.

This may come to a shock to some, but I often enjoy a roll up cigarette of Prince Albert. I also smoke PA in a pipe. In fact in the 80s and 90s, PA was my only blend. I think its a brilliant OTC. It's been around forever. For good reason.

I think PA was designed to be used for both ryo and pipes. A friend of mine has been steadily using pipes to cut back on his cigarette smoking and he loves PA for it's cigarette-like qualities. All of the OTCs I have tried taste pretty good for the first 1/2 bowl, then they go downhill fast. That said, I have found SWR to be the best of the lot. Maybe it's me or the quality of tobacco they use; I don't get this effect from C&D burley blends.

I love good Lat blends and VA's but I take a pouch of CH and a cob with me when I do outdoor activities (camping, fishing, beer drinkin').

Easier cut to pack
Good moisture level
Easy light and stays lit
No bite
Strong enough to relax you
Tastes good

It's not going to win any awards or facilitate world peace, but it does its' job well.

That said, do you have Prince Albert in a can?

No shame in my game! Prince Albert was, is and always will be the Prince of the cheapies.

And, for some reason iI keep a pouch of PA in my truck, car, sock drawer, and in my lockbox at work. Some days I wonder why. I do have a slew of Solani blends,Silver Flake and ABF, and some Pease blends and a few C&D blends around but why don't I store them the same way? I just am not sure. Anybody else do stuff like that? Even got an unopened tub of Carter Hall in my clothes closet? WTF? I dunno!

I love the cocoa taste of Prince Albert, but that alone gets a little boring. I like to use it as a base and add an aromatic and some latakia.

PA in the morning with a cuppa java is as dependable as it gets IMHO. Toasty-nutty and just bit chocolaty from time to time...delicious!

Probably about the way the taste when you chew cardboard compares to chewing paper, if you're not a Burley guy. :lol:

Lotsa people love 'em though, so that's a minority opinion. 8)

:face:

CH is most likely 90% burley with the rest being Virginia. I only smoke it in a cob now. It was Ok in a briar but I recently discovered that cobs and out it back into rotation.

It's sweeter and easier to smoke than PA, to me at least, and remember to each their own. Yaks analogy is a good one except the paper has been sprayed with syrup.

And then there's the PA Choice blend which John Patton has mentioned as being better than the regular PA.

Never tried it, and it seems to be elusive. FWIW it gets good reviews on the review site.

Anyone else tried it?

Cheers,

RR