Processing Perique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipedJimmy

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this has been posted before, but I found it informative and fairly interesting - from the folks at C&D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7-oS8Ii5W0g" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Found this just afterwards

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vfMuU3lUo4A" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Been looking all over and have not found any source that says Perique is a variety of tobacco like virginia or burley rather a process which turns the tobacco into Perique. They don't mention that in either of the videos. So what variety of tobacco is it produced from? Inquiring minds want to know! :cheers:

At about the 25 sec. mark in the first video, I believe the word "Burley" is mentioned. Would that Mark Ryan were on here to fully answer the question! Google "Perique Tobacco" to get to the Wikipedia discussion on the subject. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and note the link to the 'Pipes Magazine" interview with Mark Ryan aka Mr. Perique!! This should answer most questions and perhaps create a few more!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Yep, definitely concur with the gents above. I guess the peppery magic is imparted in the fermentation. Makes me think actually, I've got a tin of Kajun Kake cellared, anybody tried it?

I suspect most people from the outside would see that and think "Disgusting!" Just made my mouth water. All about perspective.

PipedJimmy":g8d7gz1s said:
Yep, definitely concur with the gents above. I guess the peppery magic is imparted in the fermentation. Makes me think actually, I've got a tin of Kajun Kake cellared, anybody tried it?
I love it and will start hoarding some for my cellar soon.

I think it's fantastic fresh and should only improve with some age on it. If you like perique and musty/earthy tobaccos you'll enjoy it.

periqu10.jpg

I'm Hermit and I endorse this product.  :twisted:

Thanks for the info, SourMilk. I look forward to loading it into me pipe.

Hermit, that's a great photo. You got your pipe stuffed with the stuff that you make?

Hermit, the smell coming off those barrels must have been incredible.

Jim

huffelpuff":09x0lpnc said:
Hermit, the smell coming off those barrels must have been incredible.

Jim
It was lovely. :twisted:
I've lived a half hour away for almost twelve years.
I finally got the make the pilgrimage.
It was open to the public for the Drew Estates BarnSmoker Event.

PipedJimmy":3w4vbxwj said:
Thanks for the info, SourMilk. I look forward to loading it into me pipe.

Hermit, that's a great photo. You got your pipe stuffed with the stuff that you make?
Perique in the pipe, but I didn't make it. I was a guest.

Great vids, thanks for putting these up! I do rather like a pinch of Vit P, especially when subtly blended with a fine Va. Mmm Mmm.

Zeno Marx":33g43h0u said:
I suspect most people from the outside would see that and think "Disgusting!"  Just made my mouth water.  All about perspective.
:lol: :lol: Glad you said something, because I literally had that same reaction when I saw the video!

There are two tobaccos used in making Perique. The first is Perique, which, as noted above, is an offshoot of Burley. Mark has a number of farmers who grow it in an area called the "Golden Triangle" in St. James Parish. When processed, this is the only tobacco that can be referred to as St. James Perique. Because Perique is a sensitive crop, the yield varies a lot from year to year. For that reason, Mark brings in some dark Burley from selected growers outside of St. James Parish and it is processed in the same manner as Perique. This is called Acadian Perique. Pretty much everything you get in blends is a mixture of St. James and Acadian Perique. This has been done for more than 40 years so it's nothing new, and it serves two other purposes - it makes for a more consistent product on an annual basis; and, it cuts the cost of Perique in about half.

Russ