Public opinion?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Janitor

Reaction score
In the eyes of more experienced smokers, how does the public react to pipes? While I greatly enjoy sitting at home and relaxing with my pipe, I am still nervous about pulling it out the next time I'm sitting in on of my favorite drinking establishments. Will I have people complaining about it, or is it more of a conversation piece?

Also, what is the general opinion of simply "going through the motions" with an empty pipe? As I am a pack a day cigarette smoker that is trying to switch over to just smoking a pipe, I've found that this helps with cravings. But is it consider improper by most pipe smokers?

The Janitor

In my experience, people appreciate a pipe, even non-smokers (as opposed to anti-smokers, who are never happy about much.) I get compliments on pipes, the aroma of the tobacco, and total strangers volunteer stories about beloved relatives who smoked a pipe.

As for "dry run" with your pipe, I do it all the time. It keeps me from chewing on pens and my nails. Occasionally I have to explain to someone who thinks I'm actively smoking that it's empty and unlit, no big deal. If you clench your briar for an extended period, you might consider running a pipe cleaner through before you put it away--even empty, your breath does condense down there a bit, and pipe cleaners are much cheaper than new pipes. Ultimately, the only person who has to approve of it is you.

Will I have people complaining about it, or is it more of a conversation piece?
If you're smoking it, try smoking something that has a nice room note. You don't have to be smoking a soupy aromatic, but heavy English/Latakia blends may aggravate the people around you. I highly doubt you'll hear anything negative if you're smoking something less intrusive.

I can't think of a blend off of the top of my head, for some reason, but I'm sure something will come to mind. Also, I have heard that a number of places do allow cigarette smoking, but not pipes, because of the perception that they are stinky...and a more aromatic blend will definitely change that attitude!

That being said, I've never smoked inside cause it isn't allowed in any public places, I'm only making assumptions and passing on what I've heard from others. :lol!:

I think Winslow once said that smoking a pipe in public is a "babe magnet"

Blue Note has an awesome room note.

Benjamin Hartwell's Evening Stroll was designed to attract the 'ladies' and has a nice vanilla scent which is very agreeable in 'mixed company'. If you are visiting a (now rare) place that allows smoking, the cigarette is obviously the majority, and stinks to high heaven IMHO. I think that many folks would find most English mixtures a little to heavy. A nice VA or mild aromatic will generally be tolerated well, and may as others have noted win you some new friends.

A vanilla scented mixture will definitely attract the ladies :pipe:

I smoke in public and semi-public places often. I gave up the "nice room note," blend in favor of english and balkans some years ago. I often get strangers asking me "what is in that pipe?" because it smells different (someone asked if I was smoking sage), and a few that say they like the smell of it. I think it is sort of like wearing a bow tie. You can look very stylish or look like a nerd, the difference is how you carry yourself.

Doc Manhattan":zghiayiu said:
Occasionally I have to explain to someone who thinks I'm actively smoking that it's empty and unlit, no big deal.
If you're lucky, you might get some fool to start coughing
and choking on the smoke from your unlit pipe. :lol:

I smoke at the bar quite a bit, and will continue until they outlaw it here too, which may be coming soon as I'm in NC and it's on the table now. :x The only people that have ever said anything about it to me are the potheads :drunken: and other pipers :pipe: . Now if I'm alone in public I do get the "my grandpa/great grandpa/dad used to..." but at the bar, in the company of friends it doesn't happen, nothing positive or negative. I've never tried to smoke an English blend in the bar, I don't want to get myself banned from smoking my pipe there. I started (smoking my pipe in public) with an aromatic, but can't stand them anymore so my bar (public) smoke is always virginia. Now if I'm outdoors, to hell with 'em, I'll smoke whatever I feel like smoking.

Aaron

I can't tell you how many people have told me it reminds them of grandpa, or uncle john when they were kids growing up,,,,"he always had a pipe and it smelled soooo good,,,nobody smokes pipes anymore",,,,I guess that won't be a pleasant childhood memory for many growing up nowdays,,,,At the VFW smoking is allowed (private club status),,,light up a pipe and seven people start telling childhood memory stories all at once,,,,then "what r ya smokin,,where'd you get the pipe,,how much do they cost,,,geez, my wife would like that",,,,

You want to look the part of a pipesmoker that people expect to see. That is, a deep thinker. Just look cool and act like you're as one with the Cosmos.

It is a known fact that the aroma of Iwan Ries 3Star Blue will make women want to have your babies. :p

Winslow :sunny:

My experience with smoking a pipe in public is nothing but positive. I get nothing but compliments. For many it is nostalgia, in that it usually brings back fond memories of their father, grandfather, uncle, etc.

I live in NY and we cannot smoke in a public place such as bars or restaurants so I have no experiences there.When I'm out and about and smoking my pipe noone has made any negative comments just the usual statement that I'm too young to be smoking a pipe.I explain to them how relaxing it is for me and how much better it smells compared to cigarettes.Then they usually say that they never thought of it that way and say something positive.
I too am a pack a day guy and try to keep a pipe in my mouth whenever I can.For some reason it keeps the cravings away until I put it down.And yes,when I put it down,a pipe cleaner or two are run through it.

I just spent four days tromping around Times Square with a pipe in my mouth half the time and didn't get a second look from anyone. Then again, I could have been eight feet tall, naked, and green tromping around Times Square and I wouldn't have gotten a second look from anyone, so I guess that's not the best place to test this concept? :lol!:

Natch

Thanks for all the input. Looks like the next time I'm out ill be lighting up a pipe instead of a cigarette. And I'm glad some people recommended running a cleaner through when "smoking" an empty.

The Janitor

Winslow":hni7h5ok said:
It is a known fact that the aroma of Iwan Ries 3Star Blue will make women want to have your babies. :p

Winslow :sunny:
So, Winslow this seems like a recurring theme with you..... How many children have you fathered smoking your pipe?

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

I have only smoked in a restauraunt once, at a little local dive that serves great lunch specials within walking distance of my work. The bar area is somewhat separated from the main dining area so smokers congegate in there to eat lunch, with a beer and smoke. They do have a NO CIGARS sign up so I excuse myself to a corner table where no one else is and light up my pipe. I really enjoyed it, no one said anything positive or negative.

If you're polite, it's usually a conversations starter. Very few places you can still smoke here. Also, pipe and cigar smokers will attract each other, so you will make new friends.

Usually, for me it's the bartender that gets a little pissy with me (probably due to ventillation issues).

In the open (park benches and places like this), people usually come up to me. I've actually sold many pipes this way because there isnt many places to buy pipes down here. btW, I'm finding that women generally LIKE the pipe. My girl is proud to exclaim that she is a second hand pipe smoker. Really, it's because she enjoys the aroma.

I can only echo the positive side of smoking a pipe in public, which I did for the first time this past summer after smoking off and on in private or among friends/family for years. I was at a little outdoor concert in my small town and decided to test the idea and see how people reacted. It was all very positive.

- Several of the "grandpa/dad/uncle smoked one" types of comments. At least 5-6.

- 2-3 people just commented that the tobacco smelled good or asked the type of blend. ("Andy's Favorite" a private blend)

- One guy said the "you don't see many people smoking a pipe anymore" bit. He said he smoked a pipe for 40-years but had stopped. I asked him why and he said, "Heart attack!," threw up his hand, and walked off.

- One lady told me I looked like a professor as she walked by.

- One lady noticed I was wearing a "Smoky Mountains" t-shirt. She came up to me and noticed my 6'7" frame and said, "Hey, you're t-shirt says, Smoky Mountains and you're a big guy smoking a pipe. Smoky Mountain! Too funny!"

It was a good experience. From one janitor to another I hope yours are as merry!