Question about GL Pease tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that, for instance 2005, 2oz tins come in both squat tins and the taller tins. Is there a difference in recipe? Or maybe a reason for the switch within the same year?

Zeno Marx":uvgmdpd0 said:
I noticed that, for instance 2005, 2oz tins come in both squat tins and the taller tins. Is there a difference in recipe? Or maybe a reason for the switch within the same year?
Different tins. No change to the recipe.

I suspect that I know who the tobacconist is, and that doesn't make sense...BUT

I would venture to say MOST pipers don't think much of GL Pease blends.. "Look how proud he is of that garbage, and it don't even have cherry or vanilla flavor.."
We sometimes forget that Board Pipers are (mostly) made up of Premium Tobacco smokers in the pipe world.. I have no way of guesstimating our numbers as a percentage but they are very small..
Sadly just as most cigar smokers think a Swisher Sweet is just the ticket most pipe smokers think Middleton Cherry is a fine blend.
Same goes for the pipes we smoke, most look at a $32 (do the damn things really cost that much now?) Dr Grabow as an expensive pipe.
A $75 Pete/Stani/Sav is just outrageous.

Before any argue think of how many GL Pease blends or Padrons you see at the corner cig store. NIL,NADA,NONE,ZERO... Because average joe does/will not purchase 'the finer things'.

That's a really interesting take on this PB.

I guess that makes sense; it took me over a year to move from the generally (in my current opinion) horrible aromatics to these blends on the upper end. And it does cost quite a bit more to do it in this style. I've moved from maybe $30 a month to, well, a hell of a lot more spent on tobacco. Granted, I'm playing catchup and trying to start a cellar, but still. I'm not complaining however, about price. It's still grossly cheaper to smoke the very best pipe tobacco in pretty nice briar than it is to smoke a pack a day of Camels or Reds.

An even more interesting concept you briefly mentioned is the total number of pipe smokers. I wonder how many of us there are in the world who regularly smoke a pipe, regardless of the quality of instrument or leaf. I bet that in and of itself is a pretty tiny number these days, even with the apparent growth in the under 30 bracket (if BoB membership is reflective at all of the general world).

As a percentage of population Pipe Smokers are statistically NIL.
According to a study by the Office of Human Health and Services in 1999 Pipe smoking represents 1.1% of population. I think thats high considering they said 159 million equated to 3/4 of the population, but you gotta get numbers somewhere. According to the census in 2000 there were 291,421,906.. So theoretically there are 2.9 million pipe smokers in the US.
I would guess the actually number is far lower.. Maybe as low as 1/6 that would seem ballpark right to me, but I'm just guessing.. I know if 1 in 100 smoked a pipe I'd see way more pipe stores, and way more people smoking pipe as I travel around the nation.

Using their numbers there are about 10,000 pipe smokers within a 50 mile circle of me..lol .. where are they?

I have to agree, those numbers seem very inflated. Here in Tulsa there are pretty much two B&Ms, neither one of which carries tins, only house blends. I would imagine if there are 10k pipe smokers in the area the demand would be... high for a store with tins. My closest B&M that carries such things is in Oklahoma City (to the best of my knowledge). Thank god for the internet.

If the numbers are at all correct, they must be concentrated in either major metro areas (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc), or so extremely spread out that most of us aren't coming in contact. Who knows. It's a wonder how many types of tobacco we have to choose from, whether it's 2.9 million smokers or less; either way, that's not *that* many people for as much variety as we have.

To get back to your comments on the high end tobacco smokers, let's just pretend we make up 1% of the 2.9 mil. That's 29k, so it's really not that surprising that we can have shortages.

Which G.l. Pease Blends are good for a beginner smoker? Tobaccoreviews.com classifies "haddos delight" as medium-strong strength (very strong?) is that an indication of flavor or nicotine content?? (kinda sensitive to N) I would like to try some g.l pease blends but dont know where to start? I would like to try some full flavored blends without high nicotine contents. I smoke frog morton blends and enjoy them very well..still havent figured out what order to smoke them in though,...Frog morton first then bayou..etc?? All suggestions are highly appreciated!!

puros_bran":ww35ry32 said:
As a percentage of population Pipe Smokers are statistically NIL.
According to a study by the Office of Human Health and Services in 1999 Pipe smoking represents 1.1% of population. I think thats high considering they said 159 million equated to 3/4 of the population, but you gotta get numbers somewhere. According to the census in 2000 there were 291,421,906.. So theoretically there are 2.9 million pipe smokers in the US.
I would guess the actually number is far lower.. Maybe as low as 1/6 that would seem ballpark right to me, but I'm just guessing.. I know if 1 in 100 smoked a pipe I'd see way more pipe stores, and way more people smoking pipe as I travel around the nation.

Using their numbers there are about 10,000 pipe smokers within a 50 mile circle of me..lol .. where are they?
Maybe they meant 1.1% of the smoking poulation? I don't know but that stat makes no sense to me....although I do live in MA where any kind of smoker is akin to a baby killer.

Strange that you had a tobacconist pan Pease blends like that....there's one here in MA that said something very similar to me. 1st time I went in there he said Pease blends were not that good and he recommended some other blends. 2nd time I went in about a month later I asked him again just to see if I would get the same response (he definately didn't remember me). He said Pease blends weren't that good but they were getting "better".....a confusing statement....I don't see how you can judge whether or not a blender is getting better within a month.

In any case after reading how so many people love his blends I'm not gonna listen to that guy anymore. I love virginias and vapers...sounds like Haddo's delight might be right up my alley.

Haddos is medium-full (just off of medium, another degree stronger in nicotine), as is Cumberland. If you want to be conservative, and it sounds like you do, don't buy them right now. Smoke some other blends right now; try something a bit strong once you get your feet wet.

As regards which others to try, Mr. Pease has many wonderful blends that span the gamut of tobaccos.

For Virginia, Union Square
For Virginia Perique, Stratford
For latakia, Westminster, Picadilly
For burley, Barbary Coast

But these are just recommendations off the top of my head. Read the tin descriptions and maybe mull them over in your head a bit. Try to make your selections based on what's appealing.

Good luck.

Psst....Don't tell anyone else, but G L Pease's Montgomery is one of the best Virginias on the market....Remember, keep it under yer hat:)

If you like a little Perique with your Virginia, I'm a huge fan of GLP's Fillmore.

alfredo_buscatti":d78dfg0o said:
Haddos is medium-full (just off of medium, another degree stronger in nicotine), as is Cumberland. If you want to be conservative, and it sounds like you do, don't buy them right now. Smoke some other blends right now; try something a bit strong once you get your feet wet.

As regards which others to try, Mr. Pease has many wonderful blends that span the gamut of tobaccos.

For Virginia, Union Square
For Virginia Perique, Stratford
For latakia, Westminster, Picadilly
For burley, Barbary Coast

But these are just recommendations off the top of my head. Read the tin descriptions and maybe mull them over in your head a bit. Try to make your selections based on what's appealing.

Good luck.
\

Thanks Alfredo I appreciate the recommendations.

Having been a cigarette smoker, then a cigar smoker(still am) and now a pipe smoker....I'm pretty accustomed to nicotine. Really the only pipe tobacco where I really felt a decent nic hit was 1792 Flake and even then not too much...just got a little bit of couch lock lol.

I smoke HOtW regularly...same with ABF and some others that are considered "strong" without feeling much at all. To tell you the truth I'd like to try some of the "ropes" that are supposed to knock you on your ass...lol sounds like fun.

Having said that "N" content isn't the only thing I care about....I love the taste of a full, sweet VA....and the spiciness added with perique is awesome In VaPers.

Is Haddo's a good VaPer In your opinion?......If it is the nic content is of no consequence to me....I'd love to try it. If the other ones you mentioned are also very good I'd love to try those too regardless of strength.

I think I'm gonna put in an order for a bunch of Pease blends based on the opinions of alot of the guys here....don't worry I won't hold you to them!

Hermit":gwi2kz4y said:
I bet you'd like Cumberland, too.
Wow I just read the Cumberland description and it sounds right up my alley....thx hermit

I can't imagine any kind of knowledgeable tobacconist dissing Greg's blends, many of them are world class. My particular favorite is Maltese Falcon but I have others I like as well.

Smokey

Union Square, Barbary Coast, Chelsea Morning, and Quiet Nights are my favorite GLP blends, but just about everything is delectable. A few summers ago, I worked through everything in the Fog City collection and really liked just about all of them. The only one that didn't tickle my fancy was Telegraph Hill. I'd recommend Greg's blends to anyone.

shootist51":jtaaer2h said:
Psst....Don't tell anyone else, but G L Pease's Montgomery is one of the best Virginias on the market....Remember, keep it under yer hat:)
Too late, just put it on my list. Sounds amazing. 8)