Question for people with large cellars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I don't mean:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/emClw-Jzr1o" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
How do you decide which blend to smoke?
Lets say that you have at least 10+ blends, just to pick a number, of tobaccos of various ages how do you decide which to choose?
Do you (1) smoke a tin until its gone, (2) pick a tobacco based on the season, (3) pick a tobacco based on the pipe you plan to smoke, etc...?
Kim wants to know.

I just look 'em over and pick the one that suits my fancy at the moment. Sometimes I'll pick a pipe and then pick the tobacco to go with it.

Smokey

Well since Kim's asking... :cheers:

I tend to smoke the bulks and leave the tins to age. That way I can just open what I need and let the rest continue aging. I'll open a tin on a special occasion and usually the newest of the bunch. I'm trying to let my tin supply grow so I'm fairly disciplined about it.

I smoke what strikes my fancy at the time unless I want to smoke a pipe that's dedicated to a particular tobacco...then of course that's what I smoke. Keep it simple. Complications are not good things.

Having too many choices, can be a bad thing. one ends up just standing in front
of the tobacco shelf unable to move.

Current rotation: { at least 2 bowls a week }

SMM
Beacon
FVF
Penzance
HOTW
Union Square
Fillmore

When the SMM is finished, I'll open a tin of EMP
Escudo will follow the Beacon
Marlin Flake will follow the HOTW

The FVF, Union Square & Fillmore are permanent players, I just keep opening new tins.

smokey422":9dclb54p said:
I just look 'em over and pick the one that suits my fancy at the moment. Sometimes I'll pick a pipe and then pick the tobacco to go with it.

Smokey
+1

I smoke whatever pleases me at the moment. I have about 75 jars in my den in "ready service". Another 60 lbs or so in the basement.

MisterE":oyfhljkw said:
Well since Kim's asking... :cheers:

I tend to smoke the bulks and leave the tins to age. That way I can just open what I need and let the rest continue aging. I'll open a tin on a special occasion and usually the newest of the bunch. I'm trying to let my tin supply grow so I'm fairly disciplined about it.
Pretty much my policy as well. As I've been doing this for a couple of decades now, my tin/jar supplies are more than sufficient to cover the rest of my life.

As to what to smoke on any particular day, it's what hits my fancy. I almost never smoke the same blend twice in a row, and even with my favorite tobaccos I tend to space them out, as they seem to loose their attraction if smoked repeatedly. I had a friend years ago that only smoked Dunhill 965, three bowls a day, nothing but that one blend for years. Glad he liked it, but I can't conceive smoking the same blend day after day.

Natch

I don't have a large cellar comparatively speaking but I cellar anything I don't plan on smoking. The idea (for me) is to let it age until a time I can appreciate the smoke. I am still a new pipe smoker. The baccy I put away is usually 95 percent of what ever I have bought. I always buy more than 1 tin and only open 1 of them. When it is empty I buy more. For now I don't plan on smoking anything in my cellar. I buy tobacco to put away and I buy tobacco to smoke.

I have gotten to where I smoke the oldest in my cellar. All of my old tins contain Latakia of some sort so need to be smoked within a certain timeframe anyway, but I also stay away from Virginia's that at less than three years old. Generally it is not a hard choice for me.