Question for Sutliff/Altadis fans

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey-smokey

Reaction score
I understand the Altadis division of pipe tobacco was purchased by MacBaren. With the change in hands, was there a change in the blends as well?

I was a fan of Lane's Rum and Maple before it was discontinued (yeah, I know, the horror) and the only replacement I seem to be able to find is Sutliff Mapleton. The problem is that the leaf Altadis uses (at lease before the change of hands) doesn't agree with me. Well, not really the leaf, but the casings, I kinda get a hydrocortisone cream taste from them, if that makes sense.

Has MacBaren changed that?

MacBaren owns Sutliff, but they haven't made any changes in how Sutliff is making their blends. The blends are the same. Have you tried Sutliff's Tobacco Galleria Rum&Maple? I've been smoking it lately and I like it. Or you might want to try Maple Street in their tinned Private Stock line.

I don't know anything about MacBaren changing blends they've acquired, but I agree Tobacco Galleria Rum & Maple is a very decent replacement to the old Rum & Maple.