Radice pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Your thoughts...
I have 3 chubby billiards (silk, rind and clear) and 2 Rubens Rhodesians (I and II), and I like them all.
They are well engineered, attractive, unique and they also smoke great.

I'm with you--I have a Radice finish chubby and a virgin Rind variant chubby (slightly bent.)

I like the thick walls and simplicity of design. Nice open draw. Not clenchers, of course.

...quickly becoming tops in the Italian pipe market, yes I know Casetllo, but watch out.. Price for price, and value-wise, they overtake. I have a bunch and all exhibit the same characteristics as you describe.

You cannot go wrong with a Radice. They sold like hot cakes this year in Chicago - and there were many very beautiful and unique shapes.

Lou

I recently acquired a new old-stock Radice, a Bark finish, oil cured twin bore, made in 04.

Radice08.jpg

The chamber is bored out huge - around an inch. The thing smokes perfect, and the bit is astonishingly comfortable (it looks a little big to me). Very quickly went to the top of the rotation.

I've got some very good pipes, been lucky enough and collected for long enough to be left with some really excellent pipes, and this one is right at the top of what I currently own, both for comfort and for smoking properties. If I see another radice in a shape I like, I would buy it without a thought.

EDIT: in fact I'll put out a little nod to Park Lane where I got this pipe (and who were kind enough to send me the pictures). They've still got a few on sale, and I thought the price I got on this pipe was excellent.

I've been wanting one for a couple of years now but never did the right pipe and the spare cash meet.

I've been looking at Radice pipes for a while now but have not taken the plunge. I waffled on a new Rubens Rhodesian II and missed out.

pd019L.jpg

That's a pretty pipe but imho not a very good all round design. Doesn't look like it would clench worth beans, which makes the point of it being a nosewarmer moot.

Just my unsolicited .02

One of my best smokers is a Radice Silkcut Liverpool. It has one of the nicest blasts I have ever seen. I certainly would like to acquire another.

Sasquatch":stef6tw2 said:
That's a pretty pipe but imho not a very good all round design. Doesn't look like it would clench worth beans, which makes the point of it being a nosewarmer moot.

Just my unsolicited .02
I usually don't clench when I smoke so that wouldn't be an issue. I really would like to see one of these pipes in person, its hard to make a fair assessment from just a photo.

Justpipes":lqi07zeb said:
One of my best smokers is a Radice Silkcut Liverpool. It has one of the nicest blasts I have ever seen. I certainly would like to acquire another.
Mark, Do you have any photo's?

Midnight Blues":oq48nd8u said:
I usually don't clench when I smoke so that wouldn't be an issue. I really would like to see one of these pipes in person, its hard to make a fair assessment from just a photo.
Agreed - I'm making the argument based on my experience with pipes having steeply tapered stems like that, but given my worries were groundless on my own Radice, perhaps I am quick to judge. If you get one, send it to me, and I'll tell what I think of it? :cheers:

That could well be the case. Nothing else comes to mind for the 150-200 bucks a guy spends....

Their current production is better in terms of shaping than current Castellos - nicer lines and more care taken on many pieces.

Smokingpipes has a nice batch right now... some really excellent looking pipes.

Agreed. Also check out NeatPipes, Luca has a really good selection as well.

Midnight Blues":e0iwrnny said:
Justpipes":e0iwrnny said:
Mark, Do you have any photo's?

Oh! Wait a minute.........you mean of the Radice Silk Cut liverpool. I'll have to get on my other computer to post that photo. :lol: :D

Bub":ex7przi7 said:
Your thoughts...
I have 3 chubby billiards (silk, rind and clear) and 2 Rubens Rhodesians (I and II), and I like them all.
They are well engineered, attractive, unique and they also smoke great.

Gotta tell ya' there, Bub; NOT thinkin' a whole lot about pipes right about now....... :face:

OK, focus....focus. Read years ago that Radice was considered "The Working Man's High Grade". Found that appealing for some reason.....and have acquired several over the years in most of the finishes, I think. Really like the feel of the Silk. Nice smokes for the most part, but the stems have kind of a chunky feel, and there's not a consistent draw; plus, when there's silver work it seems slapped on.

Geez, it's sounding as if I don't like them when, in fact, I do. Guess I can appreciate them warts and all.

never owned/smoked a radice, but for those intersted a silk billiard on sale for $135 at pipesandcigars.com.
a quick browse seems to show smokingpipes has a very nice selection of radices.

maybe when the budget allows...?