Randy Wiley Pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
I love a couple of his carved rusticated finishes, especially the Old Oak but I am very curious about how they smoke and how well they are engineered. He seems to make a lot of pipes, so I have my concerns.

Anyone own one or more of his pipes? Care to comment?

Thanks

DrumsAndBeer":in8p0g40 said:
I love a couple of his carved rusticated finishes, especially the Old Oak but I am very curious about how they smoke and how well they are engineered. He seems to make a lot of pipes, so I have my concerns.

Anyone own one or more of his pipes? Care to comment?

Thanks
Yes.

I own but one Wiley and it's one of my go-to's.

Got it back around '01 or so from the (then) local T-Box. It's basically a Dublin, with a Rhody touch. Has a very cool tobacco leaf carved on the bowl. It was a light finish when I got it, but it's darkened over time and use. Now a very mellow bronze.

I smoke it at least several times/wk and is best for VaPers since the tapered bowl concentrates the flavour as it burns. It loves 2015. I also use it for Night Train, which I just finished tonight!

I've been looking to get in another Wiley, but so far none of his designs have grabbed me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, including and especially since the price is right.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

:bball:

Cheers,

RR

I sent a Wiley pipe in my lot to Blue Room Briars, it was one of my favorites and I picked it up in the mid 80s in Jacksonville Fl. Keep an eye out for when they list it.

Thanks for the heads up John, and I appreciate you chiming in with your opinion.

I believe he is one of the chosen makers for McCranie's Pipe Shop, and they have a rich history of great makers creating for their proprietary lines. Of course, that doesn't really mean two mouse turds, because one decision to save a penny or to look for a shortcut can undermine any kind of brand integrity on the turn of a dime. Plenty of brands and companies have built a quality reputation over tens and tens of years, only to make one cheap, half-step move to erase all that effort. Having said all that, their ebay store doesn't show any Wiley in stock. Maybe they're sold out?