Rare Caminetto finds on eBay

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny how Caminetto prices have virtually tripled in the last several years.

<hr />
hagley":fxhav6hh said:
It's funny how Caminetto prices have virtually tripled in the last several years.
It is indeed. When I was collecting, I could get a business for $40 and prestige for $100. Depending, of course.

I am seeing prices for the first run of Caminetto pipes stamped Ascorti/Radice bringing big $$ but the later versions just average prices.
Anyone seeing similar results?

docwatson":jztdrh6l said:
I am seeing prices for the first run of Caminetto pipes stamped Ascorti/Radice bringing big $$ but the later versions just average prices.
Anyone seeing similar results?
Yeah, that's normal. The fact is there aren't really all that many left stamped Ascorti/Radice that haven't been burned out, not taken care of, or what have you. Typically, you'll see the same shapes over and over too. No one sells the good shapes all that often. Personally, one of my favorites was Caminetto's Business Lovat. I owned one that was stamped Ascorti/Radice. Never saw one again after I sold it.

Yeah, that's normal.  The fact is there aren't really all that many left stamped Ascorti/Radice that haven't been burned out, not taken care of, or what have you. Typically, you'll see the same shapes over and over too.  No one sells the good shapes all that often.  Personally, one of my favorites was Caminetto's Business Lovat.  I owned one that was stamped Ascorti/Radice.  Never saw one again after I sold it.[/quote]

Hee hee, I have 4 of them. Of course I have been collecting for 40 years.
Mike

<dl class="codebox hidecode"><dt style="border: none;"></dt><dd></dd></dl>
hagley":n3klq0f9 said:
Yeah, that's normal.  The fact is there aren't really all that many left stamped Ascorti/Radice that haven't been burned out, not taken care of, or what have you. Typically, you'll see the same shapes over and over too.  No one sells the good shapes all that often.  Personally, one of my favorites was Caminetto's Business Lovat.  I owned one that was stamped Ascorti/Radice.  Never saw one again after I sold it.
Hee hee, I have 4 of them.  Of course I have been collecting for 40 years.
Mike[/quote]

Yeah. You have some years on me. I had multiple Ascorti/Radices, the one was the lovat.

The older Caminettos are getting gobbled up by the Chinese (pre-inlay white mustache). I've sent two of them there (the last two I've sold on eBay). I believe that is also why the prices are going up. They've at least doubled in the past several months. I'm not happy about it, either. They remained at a high-quality, blue collar estate price range until recently. One of the last true bargains for my tastes. Bye-bye.

Zeno Marx":dbkux0ej said:
The older Caminettos are getting gobbled up by the Chinese (pre-inlay white mustache).  I've sent two of them there (the last two I've sold on eBay).  I believe that is also why the prices are going up.  They've at least doubled in the past several months.  I'm not happy about it, either.  They remained at a high-quality, blue collar estate price range until recently.  One of the last true bargains for my tastes.  Bye-bye.
Good to see an equal Caminetto lover again.

I'm glad I sold off my collection because of the increase in prices. There's no way id pay what some request for a business model.

Zeno Marx":2j39y1dd said:
The older Caminettos are getting gobbled up by the Chinese (pre-inlay white mustache).  I've sent two of them there (the last two I've sold on eBay).  I believe that is also why the prices are going up.  They've at least doubled in the past several months.  I'm not happy about it, either.  They remained at a high-quality, blue collar estate price range until recently.  One of the last true bargains for my tastes.  Bye-bye.
The Chinese are buying everything, and driving up prices. In the past I have only sold in the US, much to the chagrin of Canadian and EU buyers. Going forward I will sell to anyone anywhere. I have thousands of tins of tobacco, and you can be sure that if Chinese want to buy them, I will sell to them.

I am reminded of a period in the 1970s when Bob Rex, who owned Druecher's in SF told me to send him every Group 1 or Group 2 Dunhill I could find, and he would sell them to the Japanese. No one in the US wanted the small Dunhills, but the Japanese did.

Mike

That's a good point. If the Chinese buyers aren't winning the auctions, they're probably bidding and causing a rise in prices. I have nothing against the Chinese people. I want to make that clear. I don't care who buys a pipe.