Rattray's recommendations?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EC Outlaw

Reaction score
Brothers, close by retailer is closing out, and has Rattray's tins for some very good prices.

I need recommendations of what to purchase while he still has stock.

Thanks for any input.

Rattrays is best known for its Virginas. Definately grab the Howl O' the Wynd and Marlin Flake. They are well respected all around. Others will tell you Old Gowrie and Brown Clunee. These are the top 4 Rattray's VAs.

Rattrays is lesser know for English/Oriental blends. Red Rapparee and Black Mallory are their better-liked English.

EC Outlaw":llm43s9b said:
Brothers, close by retailer is closing out, and has Rattray's tins for some very good prices.

I need recommendations of what to purchase while he still has stock.

Thanks for any input.

How much are they going for?
(I ask, because JR sells em for $12)

It's local, but $11.50 for 100 gram tins, including tax.

The B&M is really more of a cigarette and cigar retailer, but the original owner was a pipe smoker, and stocked some high quality items that there was not a lot of turnover on (rural eastern Kentucky county, fairly low average income). He passed away and his wife, who went to school with my wife, is trying to sell the operation.

Prospective buyers don't want to take the higher end inventory in the purchase, so she is selling that portion of the inventory to make the operation more saleable. I'm going to travel tomorrow and see what I can get.

Sheesh, 100g tins of Rattray's at my Tinder Box cruise up over $25! :shock: No wonder I never buy tobacco there. :lol:

I'm all for some guy payin' his rent, but oddly, I like paying mine, too.

$11.50 sounds like a good deal for a B&M.

Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie are awesome. HOTW I haven't tried, but if it's Rattray's it'll be good. If it isn't, someone here will gladly offer to relieve you of the burden. :lol:

8)

If you don't mind my asking, what/where is the retailer?

I'm only about 40 minutes from Ashland. If this is near my neck of the woods I might have time for a stop down this weekend as well.

Kyle Weiss":cnsiqnki said:
Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie are awesome. HOTW I haven't tried, but if it's Rattray's it'll be good. If it isn't, someone here will gladly offer to relieve you of the burden. :lol:

8)
wisdom

I tried several of the non-VA blends long ago, didn't like them and didn't go back. But in the back of my mind I'd like to try Black Mallory again.

EC Outlaw":qz06q9kx said:
roogles, it's quite a distance south and west of Ashland. Sorry.
Protecting your find. Smart man. 8) :twisted:

(...poor Roog... :lol: )

Jock's Mixture is one of my favorite Rattray blends. It's a mild English with some cavendish. I find that it changes flavor nicely through the bowlful and can be an all day smoke for me. 7 Reserve is also a nice medium English that has a very pleasant flavor of Latakia that is not overpowering. Personally I'd take Hermits suggestion and make an offer to buy him out. Like I tell everyone, "tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today".

docwatson":d7pkz41k said:
Jock's Mixture is one of my favorite Rattray blends. It's a mild English with some cavendish. I find that it changes flavor nicely through the bowlful and can be an all day smoke for me. 7 Reserve is also a nice medium English that has a very pleasant flavor of Latakia that is not overpowering. Personally I'd take Hermits suggestion and make an offer to buy him out. Like I tell everyone, "tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today".
Doc, about "Jocks Mixture", is Rattray's use of Cavendish as appropriate in this blend as I suspect it is? I hate it when Cavendish overwhelms the blend and imparts too sweet or thick a character. I trust Rattray's, but thought I'd ask...

Kyle Weiss":22w5onnh said:
docwatson":22w5onnh said:
Doc, about "Jocks Mixture", is Rattray's use of Cavendish as appropriate in this blend as I suspect it is? I hate it when Cavendish overwhelms the blend and imparts too sweet or thick a character. I trust Rattray's, but thought I'd ask...
Kyle,
Rattray uses cavendish more as a condiment tobacco to smooth out a blend rather than making it sweet IMO. I would consider it a blend to start with in their lineup, or for someone starting out with a pipe. After more than 40 years of pipe smoking I still enjoy this blend despite it's mild qualities. Thanks for your inquiry

It's been posted, but it's worth saying again:

Marlin Flake and HOTW.

Kyle Weiss":ij8qtzt7 said:
EC Outlaw":ij8qtzt7 said:
roogles, it's quite a distance south and west of Ashland. Sorry.
Protecting your find. Smart man. 8) :twisted:

(...poor Roog... :lol: )
No worries or offense taken.  ;)

I was actually more curios about whether I would recognize the establishment or the locale than intent on usurping the bargains to be had. 

Of course, the curiosity is going to kill me now.  :D

We are gentlemen, but it's every m'f*[|(er for himself where tobacco is concerned. :lol:

We make up for it by our generosity here amongst ourselves. 8)

Kyle Weiss":n3erwhyu said:
We are gentlemen, but it's every m'f*[|(er for himself where tobacco is concerned.  :lol:
:lol: true that!

Kyle Weiss":n3erwhyu said:
We make up for it by our generosity here amongst ourselves.  8)  
Here here!  Well said.

Another vote here for Marlin Flake. :D

$11.50 including tax for 100g tin is a wicked deal!